Eat your Vegetables!

Options
You know that it is important to get 5 servings of fruits and vegetables every day. Of your 5 servings a day, how many of those are vegetables? Some people eat more fruits than vegetables because they look more appetizing and are sweet too!! Remember that it is important to eat a good variety of fruits AND vegetables to get all of the vitamins and minerals your body needs to stay healthy. It is recommended that your 5 servings be 3 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit!

Some people dont eat many vegetables because they think that they taste bland or dull. Using a little something extra will make your vegetables tasty, and will still be healthy for you! Have you ever experimented with herbs or spices? Try these ideas to spice up your next vegetable dish! They taste great on vegetables like broccoli,carrots, corn, tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, potatoes, or green beans. You can try them on any vegetables!
*Add a light sprinkling of herbs such as basil,thyme, rosemary, parsley, cilantro, or blended spices like Mrs.Dash.
*Adding a spoonful of salsa, some lemon juice, or some olive oil and parmesan cheese will help make your vegetables tastier to eat!
*Add vegetables to food you already like
*Make homemade pizzas and top them with vegetables like spinach, carrots, onions, broccoli,eggplant, or mushrooms
*Make Veggie fajitas with green and red bell peppers, chili peppers, garlic, and onions and serve them with baked tortilla chips
and salsa
*Make your favorite pasta dish and add some new vegetables to give it a new and tasty twist!
*Add Vegetables to your sandwiches. Take a look at the recipe below... you can make these vegetables ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator for up to three days. Just think of how good they would be on a turkey sandwich, there would be so much flavor, you could probably skip the high-fat mayo and cheese!
You will need:
*1 Medium Zucchini
*1 Bell pepper, any color
*1/2 cup grated carrots
*1 small red onion
* 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
* 1 Tblsp olive oil
* Salt and pepper
Directions:
Thinly slice the vegetables and mix them with the vinegar, oil, a little bit of sal, and some pepper.
This makes enough for 4 sandwiches, and would be 1 serving of vegetables on each sandwich.
*Try adding fruits to your vegetables to make them a little more appetizing.
*Have a salad with Romaine lettuce, canned Mandarin oranges, and some golden raisins
* Warm up some pineapple chunks and mix them with warm vegetables like carrots or sweet potatoes

THESE ARE JUST SOME WAYS TO MAKE VEGETABLES A LITTLE MORE FLAVORFUL! ENJOY :)
EXPERIMENT TO FIND YOUR FAVORITE TASTY WAY TO EAT YOUR VEGETABLES :)

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I love vegetables.

We had to track fruit/vegetable servings for a wellness project at work. I kept tracking after it was over. Over the past 21 weeks I've averaged 8.1 servings per day.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Why just post something you copied and pasted from an internet article? I do agree with this post (but think more than 2 servings of fruit and 3 servings of vegetables should be consumed) as opposed to the last one that was nonsense.
  • getitmartinez13
    Options
    Anything I share is because it has helped me in my weightloss journey of 48 lbs so far....obviously it worked! Nothing is wrong in sharing my tips ...again articles like these has helped me loose 48lbs sooo far! so negative people! lighten up! I post tips and things that have helped me on my journey...its not for everyone. You dont have to agree with any of it...but my weightloss has spoken for itself! lighten up!
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    300wi38.jpg
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Eat your vegetables
    cartman.gif
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think I'm eating 4-7 veggie servings per day, and usually only 1 fruit, or 2 at most.

I am a firm believer that eating veggies is the key not only to weight loss but overall health. The more veggies I eat, the better I sleep, and the fewer headaches I get. And obviously they're terrific for the digestive system.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Ice cream>Frozen Yogurt>Yogurt>Fruit>Veggies
  • craziecritter
    craziecritter Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I try and get my fruits and vegetables in everyday, I feel guilty if I don't.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why just post something you copied and pasted from an internet article? I do agree with this post (but think more than 2 servings of fruit and 3 servings of vegetables should be consumed) as opposed to the last one that was nonsense.

What's wrong with posting something from the internet? It's pretty common on these boards.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of not getting my servings of fruit & veggies all of the time. That is currently what I'm working on. Currently munching on baby carrots.