Favorite vegetarian meals?

Options
hilaryhill
hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
Trying to cut back on my meat intake. What are some favorite vegetarian meals?

Replies

• seg49
    seg49 Posts: 9
    Options
    Im a vegetarian heres some of the meals I've had lately :)

wholemeal penne pasta with tomato based sauce and pumpkin
    falafel wraps (wholegrain or spinach)
    Spinach and sweet potato frittata
    Vege lasagne (wholemeal sheets)
    Roast Vege cous cous salad
    Omelettes with anything in them olives, cheese, red onion, tomato...

yum :)
  • trentwiggly
    trentwiggly Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I got nothing to add but:
    You know what's great with eggs?

AVOCADOS!
  • wendimlee
    wendimlee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of recipes from the Happy Herbivore cookbooks. They're fast and easy, and low in fat and calories. Last night I made the Hawaiian Teriyaki Chickpeas, which had three ingredients plus rice. I added a lot of mustard greens to mine to get my veggies, but my non-vegetarian boyfriend ate it with just rice and told me I needed to make it again.

Other good meals are:

cheese and veggie quesadillas

vegetarian chili (you can use TVP instead of meat, or just add vegetables or extra beans)

rice and beans (with corn for added sweetness)

portabella mushroom burgers (brush a portabella mushroom lightly with olive oil and spices, then grill).
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Mine are all on my pinterest board: http://pinterest.com/crista_b/living-the-veg-life/
  • maduro1
    maduro1 Posts: 5
    Options
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I have an open diary. Always willing to share recipes with those interested in them. Anything labeled Pocketmole's Kitchen is something I whipped up and the ingredients are already entered into MFP, so it's really easy to share exactly what went into it.

I take photos of my food a lot, so here are some of the recent things I've eaten...

Today for lunch I made chickpea and farro burgers with feta, olives and pesto:

chickpeaburgers2_sm.jpg

Stuffed tomato with farro and kale with pesto (I used the leftover farro and pesto in the veggie burgers for lunch today)
    stuffedtomato_sm.jpg

Roasted cheesy potatoes, sauteed quorn roast, and salad.
    roastcheesytators_sm.jpg

Avocado kale salad with seasoned tofu.
    kaleavosalad_sm.jpg

Banana rum pancakes with steel cut oats.
    steelcutpancakes5_sm.jpg

Vegetarian chilli (one of my favorite things to make because it's easy, high protein, and low cal)
    veggiechilli.jpg

Hummus baked seitan and side salad.
    hummusseitan.jpg

Cheesy spaghetti squash, grilled quorn roast, and salad.
    quornsquash.jpg

Tofu avocado "egg" salad on toast with fresh fruit.
    tofusalad2.jpg

Tom kha gai soup (thai soup with coconut milk)
    tomkhagai.jpg

Spicy quorn and jack cheese quesadillas with pinto beans.
    quornquesadillas.jpg

Polenta with drunken mushrooms and roasted asparagus.
    polentamushrooms.jpg

Taco salad.
    tacosalad.jpg

Zucchini boat "enchiladas".
    zucchiniboats1.jpg

Veggie meatballs with pasta and salad.
    veggiemeatballs1.jpg

Tamale with spicy chili-tomato sauce and avocado three bean salad.
    mexicanbean2_sm.jpg
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    -sushi bowls (regular rice, add in avocado, edamame, cucumber, tofu, crumpled nori sheets and sprinkle soy sauce on it)
    -tortellini salad (cheese tortelli cooled, tossed with lemon juice red wine vinegar olive oil garlic powder orgeno served over baby spinach with banana peppers, kalamata olives, feta cheese and tomatos
    -ravioli with roasted red pepper sauce and spinach and a side salad
    -taco salad, you can use meatless grounds, lentils or tofu instead of meat, and serve over lettuce with tomatos, onion, salsa, sour cream, cheese, and any other taco toppings you like. also good over crushed cool ranch doritos :D
    -stir fry with shirataki noodles, broccoli peppers onion mushrooms celery spinach and served with soy sauce, sweet n sour sauce, teryika sauce or other sauce of choice
    -eggplant curry over couscous
    -baked ziti with spinach, ricotta, mozzarella and marinara sauce
    -stuffed shells or manicotti served with a veggie as a side
    -stroganoff (meatless grounds or a buttload of mushrooms, use without worchestershire sauce) over egg noodles
    -quinoa tossed with parm cheese and marinara sauce served with veggies
    -vegetarian chili
    -enchiladas with black beans
    -pizzadillas (tortilla, spread marinara sauce on and mozz cheese, let cheese melt top with whatever you like on apizza and fold it as a quesadilla)
    -sweet potato burritos (from allrecipes.com)
    -cauliflower pizza crust topped with marinara, cheese and lots of veggies, for protein you can add meatless chicken pieces made by the brand quorn or have a side with it of chickpeas tossed with other veggies and olive oil/lemon juice
    -baked spaghetti squash (spaghetti squash, mozz, marinara sauce, ricotta, spinach, broccoli, mushrooms)
    -stuffed zucchini (gut the insides, good that with meatless grounds, stuff the zucchini top with marinara sauce and cheese and garlic and bake)
    -veggie fajitas
    -rice and beans
    -shepherds pie (meatless grounds, veggie broth and frozen soup mix veggies, mashed potato or mashed cauliflower on top and bake)
    -veggie pot pie (can mixed veg, cream potato soup, pie crust and spices)
    -sweet and sour seitan over rice with mushrooms and broccoli
    -fettucine alfredo with broccoli spinach and mushrooms with garlic bread and a salad
    -pasta with homemade roasted red pepper sauce
    -pasta with olive oil, sauteed mushrooms and garlic
    -chickpea soup (found it in a weight watchers recipe book but you can prolly just google chickpea soup)
    -seitan "cheesestea" (seitan with provolone peppers and onions on a wedge)
    -meatball hoagie (meatless balls mozz cheese marinara sauce on a wedge)
    -tortellini with sauce and veggies
    -omelett with spinach mushrooms peppers onion served with salsa
    -breakfast burrito
    -oatmeal with applesauce mixed in cinnamon and stevia
    -bbq tofu sandwiches
    -mushroom burgers (grill a bella cap with oregano and garlic powder on it)
    -stuffed mushrooms (stuffed with spinach artichoke cream cheese greek yogurt mix)

these are the recent recipes i have been cycling through. another thing you can do is just think of meals you like and do subsitutions with the fake meat, tofu, beans etc.

also the local library prolly has a lot of recipe books.

websites:
    skinnytaste
    ohsheglows
    chocolatecoveredkatie
    the ppk
    vegetarian times
    allrecipes
    yummly (there's an option to search cuisines and you can just check vegetarian and mass recipes pop up)

i am always looking for new meal ideas too so hopefully there are good posts here so i can steal them! :D
  • TigersFan14
    TigersFan14 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    pocketmole - I would love the recipe for your vegetarian chili and the pancakes. :) All your food pictures look so yummy!