Nutella Substitute

Options
airwagn
airwagn Posts: 21
I buy a jar of Nutella maybe four times a year. Every time I buy it, I feed myself some lie, like "your willpower is so much stronger than the last time, you can just have a teaspoon every once in awhile!" Invariably, the jar is gone within the week, and I am ill, sluggish, and suffering from a blow to my self esteem. Has anyone found anything that works- really works- as a replacement for Nutella? When my craving hits next I would like to be able to have a plan by which to satisfy it in moderation, because I KNOW when I want it again I will be too weak to completely resist.

Replies

• MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Buy the little snack packs. portions: controlled.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the hazelnut flavor....but I make my own chocolate:

cocoa
    organic coconut oil
    maple syrup ( I gave up refined sugar)

You add until it tastes right to you....bring it to a boil. done. I sometimes add peanut butter....you could do the same with hazelnut??
  • airwagn
    Options
    I tried that once... I had quite a few "snacks" that week hahaa
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    keep the bulk of your supply somewhere inconvenient. I have a box of yummies in the back of my work locker, but I'm only allowed to eat them at home, so if I want one I have to have planned ahead and brought one home.
  • airwagn
    Options
    Good idea- maybe I can buy a storage locker in the next town over and make a monthly Nutella trip. hah In all seriousness though, hiding it at work is something to try!
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Try Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter

http://www.justins.com/products.php
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    sometimes i put sugar free hazelnut torani syrup in my chocolate royale slim fast shakes. it does not taste or feel like nutella. but it tastes like chocolate, and hazelnut. thats good enough for me sometimes. even bettr if you can make it thick somehow like frozen banana added or something if you can afford the cals.
  • Nelli4499
    Nelli4499 Posts: 4
    Options
    make a basic nut butter (any nut in a food processor) and add coco powder and stevia/agave nectar. its delish!
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    Buy the little snack packs. portions: controlled.

they come in these??? u-oh...:happy:
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options
    Just Eat the Nutella. :love:
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    They got some new Jif Whips out that are super yummy. Its like 130 cals for two tablespoons. But like you.. the entire container was gone in a week.
  • Thisisnotadiet
    Thisisnotadiet Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to nutella..... the only solution for me is not to buy it at all. The portion control does not work and I won't never be able to fit it in my macro, at least not the amount that I will end up eating. I totally feel you OP, but I am afraid there is no solution rather than stay away from it. Isn't it what recovery addicts do?
  • Thisisnotadiet
    Thisisnotadiet Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I wish it would be that easy, but there is no sport that could compensate for half a jar in one sitting :(

EDIT: this was for nope31
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Pb2 comes in chocolate peanutbutter. Not the same but under 50 caps tor 2 tabledpoons
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting the snack size portions. I know in my local wal-mart's they are in every checkout aisle, comes with one serving of nutella and some little sticks to eat it with :) That way I still get my nutella fix but don't have any hanging around.... Which even if you went through the trouble of making a substitute, you would most likely have leftovers which is no better than buying a jar, at least for me! :flowerforyou:
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Nothing can compare to Nutella's deliciousness. Try just buying those little snack size ones with the side of Nutella and the sticks so you don't have a big jar sitting on your nightstand with a sticky spoon hanging off the side and Nutella smears across your pillow and a morning clouded with regret.
  • MaepleT95
    MaepleT95 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I somehow have learned to make a jar last 2 months or so with regular consumption. 1 serving it 2 tbsps. So I sit there with a ton of halved strawberries and serve out 1 tbsp Nutella beforehand. I take a butter knife and put a little spread of Nutella (from my allowance lol) on a strawberry, and eat! When I'm done I put it away. I allow myself as many strawberries as I want but no more Nutella unless I actually have leftover cals and can do so. I know this isn't a alternative but you can filled up on the fruit and wont eat as much. This dessert/treat is usually under 200 calories.