p90x vs Gym!

Options
2»

Replies

• BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    so as long as we challange ourselves as if when were being pushed by a coach, will can achieve p90x results at the gym.

I agree with this but the question is how many "challenge themselves as if they were being pushed by a coach?" Answer...not many. It takes a special breed to have that kind of discipline & focus. That's where P90X and programs like it take the guesswork out of it. As I said "idiot proof."
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    bottom line is it will take more effort to get the exact same result at the gym.

ps - i also threw out kenpo x within my first round since I prefer running or something more challenging on that day. however if i were obese I would probably be doing it since it can be a great workout provided it is challenging.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    You outgrow Kenpo very quickly in this program. The P90X+ Kenpo/Cardio+ dvd is pretty good though. I've subbed that in for regular Kenpo.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    bottom line is it will take more effort to get the exact same result at the gym.

Actually it will take the exact same amount of effort to get the exact same result at the gym. As BR1986FB has pointed out though, a lot of people aren't willing to put forth that effort.

P90X is good in that it takes the "knowledge" limitation away. You don't have to know anything with P90X. You just have to do what they tell you to when they tell you to. That doesn't make it better. That just makes it better suited for people who want someone to tell them what to do and when to do it. For me that got boring really fast and I lost interest in doing it.

I stand by my original statement that the BEST program is the one you're going to put the most effort into it. For some people that is P90X. For others it is the gym (or even something else we haven't talked about here). It's all about effort. More effort equals greater results.
  • mworld
    Options
    takes a hell of a lot more effort to acquire and properly apply the knowledge you are talking about, not to mention the risk of not applying it properly nor the extra time and cost of the gym.

its pretty obvious that its more effort when you factor it all in. That's what you pay for when you buy the program, your paying for all the effort they already put into it for you.

no brainer really.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Wish they could find a way to do the workout for me as well. My stinking knee hurts today from Insanity.
  • ShaneT99
    Options
    takes a hell of a lot more effort to acquire and properly apply the knowledge you are talking about, not to mention the risk of not applying it properly nor the extra time and cost of the gym.

its pretty obvious that its more effort when you factor it all in. That's what you pay for when you buy the program, your paying for all the effort they already put into it for you.

no brainer really.

It's a bit ironic that you'd call it a "no brainer" since you're essentially saying that putting forth the effort to LEARN something isn't worth it. Fair enough, I suppose. I happen to think that knowledge is a good thing and the effort one puts into gaining knowledge almost always pays off in the long run. Personally, I'd rather have the knowledge to know how to design my own workouts than to have to do the same 90 day workout for the rest of my life because I didn't want to put forth the effort to educate myself, but that's just me.

You guys win though. I'm just talking in circles at this point and no one is listening. So, whatever any of you decide to do, if you want to see great results just remember you're going to have to put forth great effort. It won't come free.

:smile:
  • mworld
    Options
    my 'no brainer' was directed at your equal efforts remark, since its obvious that more of your overall effort will be used during the actual workout with p90x than with learning everything yourself and driving to a gym 6 days a week, which of course translates into equal efforts not equalling equal results in your overall fitness....

its not about winning, its just that we didn't agree with your logic, especially since a few of us have done it both ways as well and have already had our successes; a fitness newbie will put more effort into their actual workout when guided by an experienced instructor -- the program is essentially a mass produced/discounted instructor. People can't specialize/learn everything.

sounds like you learned a lot from your p90x routine and it got you started on the right track. So you've taken it to the next leveland bothered to take it the next level, congratulations to you and goodluck on achieving your overall success.
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i can only speak for myself and for my husband. P90X gives the best results hands down. I've been a gym rat for years and was fighting a three year plateau. P90X brings on the intensity that going to the gym does not offer. You're focused and you're knocking out those lifts in a shorter amount of time. I go to the gym now in order to get in extra cardio and see people talking, chatting on the cell phone, walking at 2.0 mph on the treadmill. Wasting their time and wasting their gas. P90X rocks.

what kind of equipment do you need at home to complete the p90x?? i imagine its expensive buying all of the equipment
  • ShaneT99
    Options

what kind of equipment do you need at home to complete the p90x?? i imagine its expensive buying all of the equipment

- Pullup bar (I bought mine on Craigslist for $40) - Required
    - Dumbbells or resistance bands - Required
    - Yoga mat and blocks - Helpful but not required

The expensive part is the dumbbells. To do it right you need a pretty wide assortment of paired dumbbells. Resistance bands are cheaper but they don't work as well in my opinion.
  • BR1986FB
    Options

- Pullup bar (I bought mine on Craigslist for $40) - Required
    - Dumbbells or resistance bands - Required
    - Yoga mat and blocks - Helpful but not required

The expensive part is the dumbbells. To do it right you need a pretty wide assortment of paired dumbbells. Resistance bands are cheaper but they don't work as well in my opinion.

If you're getting dumbbells, go with an adjustable pair. I have PowerBlocks that go from 5-130lbs and they are awesome.
  • ShaneT99
    Options
    I've never used those but that's probably a good option for most people. When I did P90X I ended up borrowing dumbbells from everyone i knew who wasn't using them. I managed to dig up a pair of 5's, a pair of 10's, a pair of 15's, a pair of 25's, a pair of 35's and two adjustables that would go up to 52.5 each. For some of the exercises I could have used heavier weights, but I was able to do pretty well with that assortment.

The only down side to the adjustable type is the time it takes to change the weight, but I'm sure some are quicker than others.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Takes about 2 seconds to pull the pin on the PowerBlocks to go from 20's to 80's.
  • facetiousblacguy
    facetiousblacguy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've lost a pound a day consistently for two weeks w/ p90x (Lean) and p90x diet plan! I wouldn't pay 40+ for a gym until you get the results you want. THEN, sign up for a gym to maintain your desired fitness level.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I bought the adjustable dumbbells from Target that were $60 each. Also completed my rack of neoprene dumbbells 2 pairs of 5's for my daughters, 1 pair of 8's, 1 pair of 10's. Those were purchased at Walmart along with the rack. Next purchase will be the Bowflex adjustable dumbbells for my husband. He's using resistance bands for arm and back exercises right now.

Some of the purchases you can build up to if it is something that you want to do for the longhaul. If you only plan to workout for 60-90 days and then go back to a sedentary lifestyle then the purchases are a waste of money.