Am i doing this right?

Options
I followed the road map post. And have come to this conclusion the site from fat 2 fit radio says the harris benedict formula says my BMR is 1558. But a scroll down a bit and it says activity level sedentary is 1870 and light excercies is 2142. So i dont do much excercise so i took the 1870 - 20% (like i read to do) and it came to 1496. So im just wondering is 1496 what iu should eat under a day or around? Or am i suppose to minus the 20 percent of the random 1558 BMR number. Im not sure why it has given me all these different numbers?

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    The -% is from the TDEE, but with 19 lbs to lose you should probably be doing -15% instead of 20 since the larger cut puts you below your BMR.

BMR is the basic number of calories you need to function if you never got out of bed. TDEE is the calories you burn while going about your day and exercising the amount you put in. Cut from the TDEE, but not so much that it sets you eating below BMR.
  • Myamya123
    Myamya123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh ok so the little chart of numbers is TDEE?This is what i wasnt clear on. So i minus the 15% off the chart but stay above the 1558 that is at the top of the page?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Did you figure it out for your current weight or your goal weight?
  • Myamya123
    Options
    i put goal and current as 160 and these are the results

is-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula.

>>>>Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1563 calories. (Is this what im suppose to be over?)

How Many Calories Should I Eat?

This is the chart is this the TDEE??

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1876
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2149
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2423
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2696
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2970
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Yes, the last bit is your TDEE, you just need to take a deficit based on your activity level.

How active are you?

sedentary - 1876 - 15% = 1595
    Light - 2149 - 15% = 1827

etc.
  • Myamya123
    Options
    well its always different so im so unsure i go to the park almost daily for a hour or two light walking and walk everywhere i go. So id say maybe 5 hours a week of walking
  • Myamya123
    Options
    So it seems im not eating enough calories.. most days trying to eat healthy and not binge. Eating more almost 2000 calories seems off.. but maybe thats why im alwasy tired! Im scared of gaining weight did anyone else gain weight at first? but i guess if thats the way to do it i finally understand the math lol
  • deksgrl
    Options
    If you stick somewhere between 1600-1800 you should be fine. Make sure you log as accurately as possible. Some people who have eaten low calories for a long time do see some weight gain if they have suppressed their metabolism, but after your body adjusts, it will come back off. Give it about 6 weeks.
  • Myamya123
    Options
    ok awesome thanks so much this has helped me understand better