Gluten and dairy free...HELP

Options
I just found out that I am allergic to gluten and dairy. Oh how I love a bagel and cheese! I am going to miss my regular food but won't miss the bloating and upset tummy. I just need help with recipes... I just started this yesterday and have already cheated. I thought whats one iittle cracker going to hurt. I did switch to buying almond milk instead of the regular lowfat or 2percent I was getting. Hope the kids are on board with that.

Replies

• happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    there are so many fantastic web sites... don't be afraid to google. I have gluten and fructose intolerance, and even though its a pain to have to learn what else to eat, the pain of eating what you cant have isn't worth it!!
  • cilu90
    cilu90 Posts: 31
    Options
    Have you tried oat milk? Sometimes, also, if you mix a few different types of milks (oat, coconut, almond, etc) you can find a taste you like. I can only do it in smoothies, though. I don't do well drinking milk by itself anymore, but I am not bothered by a bit of cheese (its a treat, so I splurge on the good stuff) or Stoneyfield Greek Vanilla Yogurt ( I add a bit of honey-about 1/2 a teaspoon and some frozen berries to keep it cold at work...no fridge). Also, as far as gluten free stuff, do you have a pinterest account? Great recipes on there. And most stores now have a GF section. Just be careful...GF doesnt always mean healthy or low calorie. A GF treat is still a treat! My daughter was silly and realized weeks later that her GF chocolate covered snack bar was more like having a candy bar twice a day, with more calories!
    :laugh:
  • AiabliamsMommy
    AiabliamsMommy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    We drink soy, coconut, or almond milk. We eat tons of meat and veggies and fruit. Kinda boring I guess, I'm a horrible cook. Just google paleo recipes, that's what I did till I got too lazy to make fancy meals, lol. I'm fine with chicken and veggies!
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Grocery stores are becoming more aware of the gluten free lifestyle. Some even mark each item as gluten free. I would spend some time in the Whole foods or Natural foods section of the store. The brand Amy's makes a killer gluten free and dairy free burrito. There are tons of times available you just have to be prepared to spend some time looking around at the store. There are crackers, pretzels, breads, granola bars, pancake mix, flours....pretty much anything you can think of. I know it's hard to stick with the program, but when it is a major health issue you have to weigh out the pros and cons of each choice. Good luck.
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I am gluten free and dairy free. I think it's better for you anyways in my humble opinion.
    I use almond milk. I thicken sauces with corn starch,I eat gluten free bread( I have only just started eating bread again) for cheese I substitute with nutritional yeast. You can do many things. It just takes time.
    Don't worry,you'll find your groove and it won't be so hard. The first few weeks are always so hard.
    Good luck with it all and stay healthy :)
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am recently gluten/wheat free also/. I would say the first few weeks were tough. I was a bread o holic. And cheese or some form of it also almost daily. Now it doesn't bother me so much, but the first few weeks because I didn't feel full so I bought gluten free muffins to eat everyday. Then I gave that up in favor of more nutritious options.

I am also dairy, soy and egg free as well. I keep trying to cheat with egg and dairy and when I do I am so sick it is not worth it. I think I have finally learned. But you can cook/bake with rice flour, almond flour, buckwheat flour or even coconut flour.

But as for dairy, I use coconut milk or water, or almond milk or my favorite is hemp milk. I never really thought I would eat as well as I do. I am finding new recipes every day especially on pinterest, which has led me to a lot of vegetarian blogs. I miss my cheese and dairy the most. If you still want bread, the best I have found is Udi's Gluten free bread :)

Recently I discovered Brewer's Nutritional Yeast which is almost like a substitute for parmesan cheese, yet it is good for you. I am slowly changing my eating habits. So just have to get rid of the fries, chips and occasional pop and I will be really healthy LOL
  • cjeanthiele
    Options
    Go for it and try hard NOT to cheat for at least two weeks. This will help "clear" your system, and then if you want you can try small samples of foods to check for reactions, one food at a time.
    On the dairy, lactose intolerance will sometimes allow you to eat some cheese and yogurt; an allergy to milk proteins probably won't. Be very careful of cheese substitutes if you are allergic to the proteins.. many of them include whey or casein ( the protein most often involved) to get the right consistency, and are actually intended for lactose intolerant people. One exception is Daiya, which I believe is what Amy's uses when they go dairy free.
    On the gluten, Google "Celiac disease" (check my spelling first).. there are a couple of good web sites that warn you what to watch for "hidden" gluten. If you feel the need for treats, I'm fond of the brand "Enjoy Life" for both treats and breakfast cereals.
    In general, the suggestion on Paleo diets is very good.
    This can be a hard change to make at first, but keep trying. In addition to losing the tummy problems, you may find improvements in your normal mood and energy levels, and almost everyone I know who went gluten free dropped 10 to 20 pounds. Including me.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I started with Paelo, dropped wheat and dairy and processed junk, now am vegan
    Give yourself 30 days to get into your new groove....eat a lot of stirfries, curries etc- you'll be fine !
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I react badly to both gluten and dairy, too. Believe me, I'm not starving by having to eliminate them from my diet. And I'm soooo much healthier. The problem for me is that sometimes I forget to read the fine print - or it's so tiny that I can't read it at the store and I accidentally buy something that has traces of one problem food or another. For example yesterday I bought probiotic capsules at Whole Foods but they didn't have my usual brand so I tried a different one. Couldn't read the fine print and didn't think it was a big deal because all the bottles I could read said gluten-free, dairy-free... FAIL.

Within half an hour I started having a reaction and wondered what the heck... the only thing I could think of that was different from my usual "safe" foods was the probiotic Finally got out the magnifying glass and read the ingredients and sure enough it contained "traces of milk". And those "traces" unfortunately were enough to trigger muscle spasms, a headache, and sick stomach for the rest of the day.

Some of my favorite alternatives:

Almond or cashew milk. Easy to make at home if you don't like the store bought options.

Daiya cheeses - I especially like their cheddar and mozzarella

Pamela's gluten-free bread mix - I mostly use it to make my own sandwich/hamburger buns, which come out so good even wheat-eaters love them

So Delicious coconut milk ice creams - but be careful not to get the ice cream sandwiches because they have gluten! (I made that mistake a couple of weeks ago. It didn't end well for me.)

Coconut butter instead of real butter. Margarine is ok too, for me.

Almond flour instead of regular flour. (Obviously a no-no for anyone who has problems with nuts, but I can eat nuts all day and am fine.)

I actually have quite a collection of alternative flours in my fridge, including teff, oat, rice, amaranth and sweet sorghum. If you like to bake there's a whole new world out there. But proceed with caution because a lot of people who react to gluten might also react to teff and oat. I seem to be okay with those. I frequently make an almond flour based sweet bread that may include banana, walnuts, dried cranberries, chocolate chunks (the kind with coconut butter instead of dairy) and other fun stuff.

I highly recommend http://www.elanaspantry.com/

Also http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/

And there are so many others!

This can be done. And if it makes you healthier, in my opinion it's totally worth it.
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That's almost Paleo! :) my diary is open if you wanna friend me or just have a look
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    BLue Diamond's Hint of Sea Salt almond crackers are wonderful. I also like the Blue Diamond Vanilla Almond milk, but due to the high cards, am trying to mix 1/2 c of that with a 1/2 c of the unsweetened almond milk. Not too bad, will get used to it. In regards to cheese alternatives, Go Veggie brand tastes fine, however (and am sure this holds true to all versions of cheese alternatives) it is VERY high in sodium, so just keep that in mind. This is a challenge, but I think you will find there are a lot of options out there. Good luck!

BTW - I am friends with the person above me ^^^, she does have an excellent food diary everyday, you will most likely benefit from her logging.
  • Weeblessings
    Weeblessings Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I disagree about 2weeks, you need to be aleast 30 days when going gluten, dairy or soy free. For some strange reason these particular foods LOVE LOVE to hold on to the body. I have heard from people feeling effcts from these 3 even up to 6mos free!!! Surprising. I am gluten and dairy free as well. Several members of my family are, and we are also egg free, due to two of the kids have issues with eggs. I personally eat them in th emorning, but nothing is cooked or baked iwth it.

We use coconut milk, almond milk, but we stay from soy. Both for personal reasons and physical reasons. Soy can mimic dairy in the body, so it's not uncommon for people to have issues with both. Don't cheat, I know it's hard, but the pain is SOOOOO not worth it. We LOVE Dayia cheese, it's the only cheese out on the market that is truly dairy free. Others have either lactose, or casein in them. ;-( We love using coconut milk in our cooking, for recipes that call for milk. Can't taste it. We use Earth Balance in the red container because it's gluten, dairy, vegan and soy free.

Almond Breeze, and Silk brands of dairy free milks, are certified gluten free. The other brands have gluten in them. Use certified gluten free oats for oatmeal, since oats is traditionally a routation crop with Wheat, and you'll get cross contimination. Also use single seasonings, since mixed ones you run the risk of wheat being used as an anti-clumping agent in them.

glutenfreeonashoestring.com
    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

are great gluten free recipes, and VERY easy to sub stuff for dairy free allergies. :-)
  • Weeblessings
    Weeblessings Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Be leary of margaine butters, I have yet to find one that was milk free, and if it's not dairy free we react. So we stick with the earth balance butter.

Also when cooking with flours, until you get the hang of gluten free baking, I'd still with the gluten free all purpose flours with Xanthum gum already added...it makes your world SOO much easier. ;-)
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I've recently tried some of Gwyneth Paltrow's vegan and gluten-free recipes, and I was skeptical that they would be any good, but the three things I made (a salad with dressing, a low-fat risotto, and sweet potato muffins) were really good! So maybe that's something to look into. I found the recipes I made in a magazine, but I think she has a book and a website.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Get used to sticking to simple foods and / or preparing everything you eat from scratch. Navigating ingredients on packaged foods is pretty much a nightmare. Unless you want to read every ingredient on every label in the supermarket, and still maybe only find one thing you can eat, it's much easier to just buy whole foods: nuts, fruits, veggies, rice, tubers, and meat, and prepare it yourself. Also, toss premade sauces and condiments while your at it. Once you get used to the simplified diet, start experimenting with some gluten free / dairy free baking. If you start trying to recreate the kind of foods you might be used to eating right off the bat, you're probably going to get overwhelmed and frustrated by all the work it might entail or the cost of sourcing and buying specialty foods, and the difference in taste and texture.

You can look at my diary. Gluten, dairy, corn, sugar, and IBS trigger free. Exactly what I'm eating might not be clear though because I tend not to log low cal veggies (which I eat a lot of), and I log individual ingredients rather than the names of dishes.
  • mazekah
    mazekah Posts: 52
    Options
    Run, do not walk, to Gluten Free Girl and the Chef. BEST website for GR living ever. I love GF life - i feel better and take more interest in where and what my food is. Welcome to the GF family!
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Get used to sticking to simple foods and / or preparing everything you eat from scratch. Navigating ingredients on packaged foods is pretty much a nightmare. Unless you want to read every ingredient on every label in the supermarket, and still maybe only find one thing you can eat, it's much easier to just buy whole foods: nuts, fruits, veggies, rice, tubers, and meat, and prepare it yourself. Also, toss premade sauces and condiments while your at it. Once you get used to the simplified diet, start experimenting with some gluten free / dairy free baking. If you start trying to recreate the kind of foods you might be used to eating right off the bat, you're probably going to get overwhelmed and frustrated by all the work it might entail or the cost of sourcing and buying specialty foods, and the difference in taste and texture.

You can look at my diary. Gluten, dairy, corn, sugar, and IBS trigger free. Exactly what I'm eating might not be clear though because I tend not to log low cal veggies (which I eat a lot of), and I log individual ingredients rather than the names of dishes.

I totally agree with this. Eat clean and simple. I very rarely have pre made sauces or condiments. Or if I do, I have inspected the label very carefully. There are many names for dairy and gluten and wheat. I bought a book on food allergies, which tells you which foods to eat and which to avoid and is layed out by supermarket layout.

But preparing and eating whole natural foods is easiest to start for sure. You will feel better soon and it will be worth it. Honestly I miss dairy and egg more than anything.
  • MaeRenee94
    MaeRenee94 Posts: 175
    Options
    I'm gluten intolerant! I feel your pain!!!
    It sucks, it really does.

Here is the thing. It has become such a common factor that you can buy gluten free bagels, gluten and dairy free cream cheeses. The world is so open with this now. There are even restaurants with gluten free menus, for instance Olive Garden and Red Robbin.

When I first realized I was gluten intolerant I was legit pissed off. It took me three months to grasp the idea.

Here are just some quick things:
    If you have an iphone go to the app store and type in "gluten" there are some great apps that have for sure helped me tremendously. Another things, don't fall into the hole buy only and everything that says "gluten free". If you aren't deathly allergic, which I know you are as you ate some and aren't crippled over in pain, just check ingredients to make sure they don't contain gluten. You don't have to necessarily but food that is made in a gluten free facility.
    Gluten has become a huge marketing sceem.

Keep your head up and experiment!!!!

I also just recently bought supplements from bodybuilding.com, apparently you can take 1-2 before a meal that contains gluten and it will double your enzymes or whatever they are that break down gluten, making your reaction minimal to nothing. I haven't tried them yet but I'm excited to see what they do for me.

Feel free to add me for advice or anything!