Stress Eating is Killing me . . .

Options
Well not literally, but I'm really struggling hard with it . . . I just want to binge away my feelings!

What do ya'll do when this happens?

Replies

• dimplz1965
    dimplz1965 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I so struggle with this and have no true answer. I've decided to use one word, choice. It is my choice what I put in my body and my choice on how I handle stress. I've started over so many times, this time my choice is to not stop until I achieve my goal. I've decided on what i will do with my stress. Take a deep breath, go to the sink and pour myself a tall glass of water and sip until the stress is relieved. Good luck! Together we can do this.
  • cmcis
    cmcis Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I find myself going out for walks now. Logging my food also keeps me aware of how much I'm eating and encourages me to limit my consumption of coke and sweets.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    It is a constant struggle. I have always been a stress eater, but I'm slowly learning to deal with my stress in other ways besides food. Now I use exercise to help deal with stress. Or I come to these forums. Or I listen to music or a fitness podcast. Or read a book. Basically, I try to find healthy ways to decompress and unwind rather than turning to food. It also helps not to keep any junk in the house. That way, if you do stress eat, at least you are eating something healthy. I just had a case of "late night munchies" and I'm eating two clementines. If there were ice cream in my house, I may have made a worse choice. Think about what substitute behaviors might help you the next time you are reaching for food in a time of stress...and test them out. The more you practice, the easier it becomes.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My first thing is if you cant get the exercise or get out is to get the food out - I make sure not to buy my trigger binge foods. If only I could binge on veggies and lean proteins I would be happy lol. Second I buy portioned items of the things that can trigger or that I can mindlessly eat when I'm in "one of those moods" its more expensive to buy a small bag / portion of something then the larger/ industrial size but I know that I've I "need" the snack at least I can have something and I wont be able to over eat (well unless I eat more than one pack of it, but that why I tend to buy limited amounts). Another thing is to try and find healthier substitutes (like baked chips rather then normal chips or low fat/ low sugar rather then whole).

Truly the issue is tied to emotional issues and behaviors and requires a lot of work and its hard and takes time. Over a year and half and I suddenly too found myself stress eating and binging. Sometimes even at the expense of a meal or ai nust go wayyy over on my calories.

Good luck!
  • bpswife263
    bpswife263 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If I ever find myself wanting something sweet or wanting to eat more than I should I think about how much work at the gym I'm going to have to do to get what I am going to eat off. And then find myself grabbing a cup of yogurt and a bottle of water. Just remember for an example a big mac from mcdonalds takes running over 9 miles to burn off!!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    My job entailed dangerous winter driving on icy/ unplowed crowned roads, driving at the edge of the road, ditches, slippery conditions, with a draconian and inflexible time schedule that did not allow for winter driving conditions, for 5 or 6 hours a day, 57 mile route, with a childishly bad-tempered arsehole boss who hated me ( it was mutual), and while I liked my coworkers and loved the job in summer, in winter I hated and dreaded it all 23 years, and would come home stressed, exhausted, sometimes having been stuck in snowdrifts or ditches,need wrecker service and thus getting a tow bill, or having been in terrifiyng skids. My way of dealing with it? Go to bed and crash. I would usually be too tired and stressed to even think of food, or else I'd look at dinner, feel too exhausted to eat, say "Ugh, not hungry" and go crash.
    I'd suggest finding another way to relieve stress. Sleep, reading, music, arts, play with your dog.....
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've been self-medicating with food all my life.
    My start weight was 405 lbs.
    Just think about getting that fat if you don't stop doing what you're doing.
  • Cjklast1
    Cjklast1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can relate to stress eating. I lost 60 lbs, 265 to 205, gained 25 lbs to 230, lost 20 lbs to 210, gained 35 lbs to 245, and recently lost 10 lbs to 235. I go on The biggest loser program at my health club where they make you trak your eating, signin to a work out three times a week, and weighin once a week. The tracking my food works but I resist. I saw my old weight watchers coach who said I looked great. I complained that I lose 20 lbs. on the biggest loser only to gain it back between contests. I complained about yo yo weight loss. She said to avoid th u\going up in weight on the yo yo dieting cycle. In the biggest loser, my diet coach said maybe eliminating the ice cream and nachos would help. My exercise trainer said to eliminate the 1,000 calorie meals. I resist. I took a vote in my weekly class, amd we voted to make diet 60% of success and exercise 40% of success, instead of the 80/20 split that our exercise coach said it was. I resist. I've also blown diets whn people told me not to eat something, just to spite them. I resist.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who replied!

I have tried the "406 lb future me" trick and it usually works a little. I will definitely try drinking the water trick!

Honestly I know a lot of this stuff but for some reason when I get hit with stress and want to eat every time I'm newly surprised by the strength of the urge. I mean, my mind and body are convince I'd just feel better if I'd eat something yummy. Moreever I "deserve'" it! Such wrong thinking patterns!

I have been getting lax about letting trigger foods into the house in large proportions though, so I'm sure that's not helping. I can tighten up on that.

It's nice to hear other people struggling with it, sometimes I get tired of seeing the "I can't eat enough calories" posts. I know those people have their own struggle, but it's hard not to have negative emotions towards it sometimes b/c my struggle is the opposite.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I go for a run. It calms me down and takes my mind off things. Also, i can't eat when I'm running :)
  • littlelady8974
    Options
    Do something different! get up and move... make a drink of something you can have.. a cup of tea or something, read a book, phone a friend. I tell myself I WANT something but I dont NEED it :)