1000 calorie a day for 4'11 female

Options
Is this too much or just normal for my height? It seems to be working and I dont feel cranky.. Still energized/

Replies

• JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Not recommended by MFP to go under 1200 for anyone. No matter your size, your body needs a certain amount of energy for normal processing, irregardless of size. Short-term, or here and there , probably not a problem for someone your size...long-term, probably need to add some exercise and muscle so that you will eat more, burn more, and look healthier.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Well Im 4ft 10 in and my daily intake at the lowest is 1200 and on a rare occasion 1000 never lower, I'm 29 and lost 26 lbs in about 6 months time on 4 months of 1200 to 1400 with exercise calories being eaten back and now I average around 1300 to 1400 without exercise have lost 3 lbs just last month .

its really a matter of how your are feeling if you are eating 1100 average and not eating exercise calories back than that isn't enough,
    1200 should be fine for you to start off with but you may find you eventually need more, I have 16 lbs left to lose to be my ultimate goal weight.

not sure how much you are wanting to lose ?

The bigger you are than 1200 could work but if its like 10 lbs than probably not since maintenance comes in around 1500 with being petite.

I felt fine for a couple month at 1200 or 1100 then I needed to up my calories after my weight loss, I'm feeling great and have been steadily losing since Jan 1st 2013. Haven't had any weight gain just normal fluctuations.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should find a TDEE calculator and see what it tells you your daily energy needs are. Then you can more easily judge whether that level of calories is OK for you or not. It's not just based on your height, though. Some people who are quite petite eat as much as I do or even more while others eat much less. But it's hard to know without calculating your own personal numbers.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    In...for the eat more debate
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I actually don't think that is too crazy for your height for a weight loss period. Also, depends what you are currently weighing though (if the deficit is too large).
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I actually don't think that is too crazy for your height for a weight loss period. Also, depends what you are currently weighing though (if the deficit is too large).
    I agree
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh? It's almost for sure too little, though you will likely end up eating less than the average person here unless you are extremely active, because the healthier weights for us are lighter than the healthy weights for people of more average size. What does MFP tell you to eat? For me, it sets me at 1200 for pretty much everything.
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh? It's almost for sure too little, though you will likely end up eating less than the average person here unless you are extremely active, because the healthier weights for us are lighter than the healthy weights for people of more average size. What does MFP tell you to eat? For me, it sets me at 1200 for pretty much everything.

Im weighing 139..
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft and I maintain at 1,500 so I don't think 1000 is too unreasonable for weight loss....

If you are stalling I would play with the number a bit though (upping not lowering cals).