Froogle Food Shopping ideas???

Options
I started my weight loss journey almost a year ago. Slowly making changes in my diet and my family's diet as not to shock our lifestyle. So far it's worked out pretty good. My family has hardly noticed that I have cut out a large amount of processed foods from their diets. It's kind of comical really considering the moaning and groaning they gave me when I announced we were making changes....lol

Anyway, We eat mostly natural foods (lots of veggies and some fruits) and I have noticed my grocery bill has increased by leaps and bounds. All the the health benefits are amazing, but my budget just can not sustain this increase, especially now since our income is decreasing. Does anyone have any tips on budget grocery shopping? I have a family of 3. I shop generally once sometimes twice a week. My grocery bill (mostly fruits and veggies) can top over $110 sometimes. It's crazy, I'm assuming I must be doing something wrong because it should not cost over $400 a month to feed 3 people or am I expecting too much??

As a side note... I do not have a lot of waste at the end of the week. We pretty much consume everything buy, The most I may throw out is an over ripened banana.

Replies

• AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I really focus on fruits and vegetables that are in season and featured in the ads. 10 mangoes for $10, 10 ears of corn for $2, etc. This means you are getting food that hasn't traveled quite as far. I have also found that Asian markets generally have much lower prices on fresh vegetables and fresh fish and farmers' markets can be a good way to save money.
  • aliciahart
    Options
    Definitely focus on the fruits & vegetables that are "in season." Also, I would suggest looking to see if there is a a co-op available where you can receive farm fresh fruits & veggies at a fraction of the cost at a store. Farmer's markets or farm stands are also less expensive. Don't underestimate frozen as well...they can often cost less and are great when you are cooking or making smoothies. I generally shop at Kroger or Meijer and their store brand of frozen fruits and veggies are often 10 for $10. Good Luck! Grocery shopping can get a little discouraging!
  • latinstarlite1
    latinstarlite1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. Although I was afraid that those were the answers I was going to receive... lol. I guess I need to read up on what seasons yield what fruits and veggies. Also, although I live in Florida I live in a very small town and we don't have a whole lot of farmers markets.

Another question. I know that grocery store chains tend to smother their fruits and veggies with waxes and things to keep them fresh longer. How is the longevity of fruits and veggies purchased at fresh markets compared to grocery store bought produce?
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Ours is always 600 or more for 2 people. :/
    But I save buying bulk things like black beans, rice, grains etc rather than packages, and co-op food baskets.
    Re longevity, it's fine as long as you refrigerate them properly in my experience.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    While it may not help right away, I'd like to suggest you learn to grow a garden and put away what you can. It will at least help some if you grow what you can.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    While Whole Foods is expensive overall, some things in their bulk section are actually cheaper than the packaged stuff in the "health food" sections of the grocery. I buy oat bran and wheat bran at Whole Foods. You can also buy exactly the quantity you need- not 12 oz. when you really need 2 oz. for a recipe.

We're also careful about using things up and I wanted to mention that if a banana is getting too ripe an no one wants to eat it, peel it, wrap it in plastic and freeze it! Frozen bananas taste like ice cream with none of the guilt. I even threw unused lettuce in the freezer before we left on a trip. It looked awful when thawed but was fine for soup.
  • jycrew
    jycrew Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Do you have room for a container garden? Many veggies will grow great in a pot. If you have a little more room consider a small raised bed garden. For a family of 3, 1 squash and/or zucchini plant would produce enough for all season. In Florida you could grow a variety of veggies almost all year. It can be a little of an up front investment to begin with, but with planning you can spread the cost out over time. Also consider local u-pick farms, anything from blueberries, strawberries, and citrus fruits , tomatoes or any variety of things. If they are not nearby, plan stops when you are going that direction. I don't think I could get thru the summer without my little garden, we eat from it everyday.
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are in Florida but check out Annie's Organics. If you become a local distributor for them, you get your weekly share for free.
  • bamamamax3
    Options
    bumping for ideas
  • cactus589
    cactus589 Posts: 8
    Options
    Try shopping at multiple grocery stores. I do most of my shopping at Publix (I'm also in Florida) but I usually get meat at Winn Dixie since they have much better sales on meat. Both of their ads are online, so I can plan my shopping lists before I head out.
  • latinstarlite1
    Options
    Try shopping at multiple grocery stores. I do most of my shopping at Publix (I'm also in Florida) but I usually get meat at Winn Dixie since they have much better sales on meat. Both of their ads are online, so I can plan my shopping lists before I head out.

Yes My husband and I do the same. We watch for the really good deals on meat at Winn Dixie and Sweatbay and I buy all of our produce from Publix as it seems to last he longest and be the most fresh. I will not buy from Wal-mart though their prices are much more competitive. I have not had much luck with good flavor or longevity from Walmart produce
  • Jessifer83
    Jessifer83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm also in FL. I'm not real good at knowing what is in season when except for a few. The citrus comes into season around Novemeber and berries in February. Right now seems to be a good time for watermelon (one of my faves!). If I have an abundance of fresh fruit that I know I won't eat before it goes bad, I cut it up and freeze it for smoothies. I also find Publix the best choice for produce.

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • WillowWindow
    WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Produce from farmer's markets and stands should last longer. simply because it's fresher and hasn't been transported as far. If you shop there you will pretty much be assured of getting seasonal food, which is much cheaper. If you want to decrease costs, go for lentils, split peas, and beans of all kinds. Buy them dry and cook up big pots. You can use them in Indian dal ( to serve with rice or naan), chili, bean burgers,soups or even baked beans. They can even be frozen after cooking so they'e ready when you need them.

I second growing something in containers or a garden. Right now I have 3 containers full of heirloom curly kale almost ready to eat ( and I live in Nova Scotia). In season I go to blueberry and apple u-picks (we make it a family outing) and get extras to freeze. You can cut up apples and freeze them for applesauce or desserts later and blueberries go in anthing-- muffins, pancakes, crisps.

You've already done one of the most cost-effective things-- made the switch from processed to homemade foods. Making your own whatever is always cheaper and higher in nutrition, which after all is MUCH cheaper than getting sick.
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Then I might be doing something wrong! LOL. I shop for two and a rabbit. I go once a week unless I am cooking sea food. Then I just buy the fish or shrimp that day. Our grocery bill is typically 140-150 the week I am buying meat to stock up. After that it is anywhere from 40-100 bucks depending on the meals I cook. This past month I printed out a calendar and meal planned for the full month. This way, on my first shopping trip of the month, I can get the meats, dry items, things we're out of and items for the first week. The second week I go shopping I get only what we need for the second week's meals and general kitchen staples we are low on. If you try to cook things with similar dry ingredients it helps alot! I was very surprised Monday when I went shopping for week two. The bill was less than 40 bucks and I even bought shrimp which is pretty expensive at times. There is a website called supercook.com. You put everything that you own into a log and it will generate recipes for you using what you have. And if you're missing something, it tells you. Very helpful.

So I guess my tips are planning out your meals a month in advance, if something changes either move a meal around or cross one out. Also, make meals with like ingredients. This way you're not buying a whole new set of ingredients for a single recipe (which I used to do). I think you should buy in larger quantities if its dry foods or canned goods. That is if it is cheaper to do so. Most grocery stores put the price per unit along with item cost on price tags, this is good to look at if you do this. Sometimes more is not always less (like cereal!)

I always use an app on my iphone called fooducate. It "grades" food items based on nutritional value as well as ingredients. It gives warnings and pluses etc. I like to use this when looking at alternatives. Typically a C or below grants me looking for alternatives which it does list alternatives to the product! Very helpful.

Buy in season items. IE, dont buy strawberries in the fall or winter, they are way more expensive off season than in season. If you live in a farming area, 9 times out of 10 you'll see stands along side the road for farmer's produce. Or if you live near a farmers market!

Good luck!
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Yes My husband and I do the same. We watch for the really good deals on meat at Winn Dixie and Sweatbay and I buy all of our produce from Publix as it seems to last he longest and be the most fresh. I will not buy from Wal-mart though their prices are much more competitive. I have not had much luck with good flavor or longevity from Walmart produce

I tried walmart once to see how it compares to a normal grocery trip and I was astounded by how much more it is to shop there. Ive also gotten peppers from walmart on several occasions only to cut them open and have mold. I would not shop there at all for food.
  • latinstarlite1
    Options
    Then I might be doing something wrong! LOL. I shop for two and a rabbit. I go once a week unless I am cooking sea food. Then I just buy the fish or shrimp that day. Our grocery bill is typically 140-150 the week I am buying meat to stock up. After that it is anywhere from 40-100 bucks depending on the meals I cook. This past month I printed out a calendar and meal planned for the full month. This way, on my first shopping trip of the month, I can get the meats, dry items, things we're out of and items for the first week. The second week I go shopping I get only what we need for the second week's meals and general kitchen staples we are low on. If you try to cook things with similar dry ingredients it helps alot! I was very surprised Monday when I went shopping for week two. The bill was less than 40 bucks and I even bought shrimp which is pretty expensive at times. There is a website called supercook.com. You put everything that you own into a log and it will generate recipes for you using what you have. And if you're missing something, it tells you. Very helpful.

So I guess my tips are planning out your meals a month in advance, if something changes either move a meal around or cross one out. Also, make meals with like ingredients. This way you're not buying a whole new set of ingredients for a single recipe (which I used to do). I think you should buy in larger quantities if its dry foods or canned goods. That is if it is cheaper to do so. Most grocery stores put the price per unit along with item cost on price tags, this is good to look at if you do this. Sometimes more is not always less (like cereal!)

I always use an app on my iphone called fooducate. It "grades" food items based on nutritional value as well as ingredients. It gives warnings and pluses etc. I like to use this when looking at alternatives. Typically a C or below grants me looking for alternatives which it does list alternatives to the product! Very helpful.

Buy in season items. IE, dont buy strawberries in the fall or winter, they are way more expensive off season than in season. If you live in a farming area, 9 times out of 10 you'll see stands along side the road for farmer's produce. Or if you live near a farmers market!

Good luck!

Great information. I have and android phone but I will check to see if those apps are available in the "play store" I hate that they renamed it that. It just seems so.... just wrong.. lmao.
  • latinstarlite1
    Options

I tried walmart once to see how it compares to a normal grocery trip and I was astounded by how much more it is to shop there. Ive also gotten peppers from walmart on several occasions only to cut them open and have mold. I would not shop there at all for food.

I have never had good luck with Wal-mart produce. I won't buy meats there either. I once but a large package of chicken breast there and every time I cooked them the pan was FULL of water. Then i found out that they infuse their meats with water in order to make them weigh more. So you are paying for water! I've also found that (because some times I had to shop late at night) they leave pallets of food out in the isles for hours at a time before they open them up to put the cold stuff in the fridge. I had always wondered why sour cream and yogurt would always go bad and end up moldy after a week.. Now I know why
  • jcoulomb
    jcoulomb Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Good luck!
  • jcoulomb
    jcoulomb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are amazing. These are great tips. My husband just lost his job and I am worried about affording the healthier and more nutritious food that I am committed to providing for my family. I do not have an iPhone, but am hoping to get those apps on my iPad. Thank you for your thorough and thoughtful post. You are my new hero.