Where do you eat breakfast between gym and work?

Options
I've never really gone to a gym as a routine before in my life. I would like to try out lifting, and as I cannot do so at home, I need to get myself enrolled at a gym.

My current routine involves having a protein shake then working out early in the morning, with cooking and eating my full breakfast after. If I have to leave the house and go to a gym, I probably won't have enough time to go home again before work.

How do those of you who go to the gym then straight to work manage eating a good breakfast (if you eat after working out)? Do you pack easy to eat items to eat on the go, or eat something more complex when you get to work...?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Replies

• Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Don't really know the answer for you since my routine is going to be different than yours. If you want it bad enough, you'll figure it out.
  • getfitcharles
    Options
    If I did that (and I may start to make this a routine for myself too) then I'd pack something that can be eaten cold and bring it with me. My normal breakfast consists of cereal, fruit and nuts, so I'd just put some in a container and head out.
  • wiebelnancy
    wiebelnancy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with this issue for the summer too!! I usually go to the gym around six am. I eat a snack like yogurt with granola before. drive to the gym, do my workout, (cardio and strength training, usually an hour) then head out for work. I am a driving instructor, so I have to pack a cooler for the day. Usually after workout is an apple and 2 cheese sticks, or some low fat cottage cheese with almonds. If I have a protein shake before the gym, I will pack the yogurt and granola for after. Bananas travel well too, and tuna in pop top cans, but watch the sodium. I also freeze bottles of water so they can thaw during the day and I can have them ongoing. It can be a challenge. If you have a microwave in your office, maybe instant oatmeal would be an option?? Hope this helps!! Good luck!!
  • grandevampire
    Options
    I am dealing with this issue for the summer too!! I usually go to the gym around six am. I eat a snack like yogurt with granola before. drive to the gym, do my workout, (cardio and strength training, usually an hour) then head out for work. I am a driving instructor, so I have to pack a cooler for the day. Usually after workout is an apple and 2 cheese sticks, or some low fat cottage cheese with almonds. If I have a protein shake before the gym, I will pack the yogurt and granola for after. Bananas travel well too, and tuna in pop top cans, but watch the sodium. I also freeze bottles of water so they can thaw during the day and I can have them ongoing. It can be a challenge. If you have a microwave in your office, maybe instant oatmeal would be an option?? Hope this helps!! Good luck!!

Thanks, those are some great ideas. I think I could even pre-soak/cook some rolled oats with honey and bring it in a tupperware container. That, a hard-boiled/scrambled egg and a banana wouldn't be too shabby at all for a post-workout breakfast...!

(And drink my pre-workout shake before leaving the house!)
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I normally go to the gym in the morning, and if I do I eat breakfast at my desk which is usually a coffee and nut bar or protein shake and banana. I can have something more substantial in my 10am break if I like which I would prepare the night before.

Good luck, as someone mentioned before I"m sure if you organise yourself you could work something out
  • grandevampire
    Options
    I normally go to the gym in the morning, and if I do I eat breakfast at my desk which is usually a coffee and nut bar or protein shake and banana. I can have something more substantial in my 10am break if I like which I would prepare the night before.

Good luck, as someone mentioned before I"m sure if you organise yourself you could work something out

Thanks, I'm sure it's not going to stop me from making it a part of my routine, but any logistical tips are most welcome!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i eat when i get to work usually. I have a plain low fat yogurt. if i'm hungry i'll have some low fat yellow cheese, or whole grain crackers and low fat cream cheese, or fruit. We have a small fridge in the office, and a microwave. my total commute time between gym and work is about 30-40 minutes.

I used to have oatmeal every morning - i mix rolled oats, quick oats and bran, add a little cinamon and raisins/craisin, sometimes i'll add some almond meal, put the whole mixture in a ziploc bag and kept it in my desk. when i get to work, i'd mix 3 Tablespoon in a yogurt, or mix with boiling water and a little milk, let it stand for five minutes and eat.

Then i went thru a stage of making low carb breakfast muffins (you can just google that - there are tons of recipes out there) and eating one straight after the gym, but that was too much bother. i also used to make baked oatmeal (recipe: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/07/baked-oatmeal/ you can use any fruit you have around the house) and put them in indivdual containers to have right after the gym.
  • NoelleS85
    NoelleS85 Posts: 89
    Options
    I always have a protein shake for breakfast. I am thinking why not add some things to your protein shake to make it a good breakfast. I throw in some bananas and berries, about 400 calories per shake. It is a full breakfast for me. Jusrt have it right after you wake up, then you'll have some time before you do your workout at the gym.

Or prepare something to eat at work after your workout?
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Google The Yummy Life. I make the refrigerator oatmeals in the evening (a blend of oats, chia seed,greek yogurt and fruit, the oats soak in the yogurt overnight so they get soft). It only takes 5 minutes max to make and then you just grab it and eat cold in the morning. It is delicious and high in protein and fiber and other good things. You can also make some ahead and freeze. The website has lots of flavor options. I especially like the raspberry vanilla.

Oh and I make them in individual servings in jars with lids and eat out of the jar when I get to my office after my workout.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I've never really gone to a gym as a routine before in my life. I would like to try out lifting, and as I cannot do so at home, I need to get myself enrolled at a gym.

My current routine involves having a protein shake then working out early in the morning, with cooking and eating my full breakfast after. If I have to leave the house and go to a gym, I probably won't have enough time to go home again before work.

How do those of you who go to the gym then straight to work manage eating a good breakfast (if you eat after working out)? Do you pack easy to eat items to eat on the go, or eat something more complex when you get to work...?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

I make a sandwich with one egg, a slice of cheese (I use Sargento ultra thin slices) and an ounce of ham on a Thomas Triple Health English muffin. It's about 250 calories and can be eaten on the go or at your desk. My other favorite is 1/2 c yogurt, 1/4 c cottage cheese, 1/2 banana, 1T chopped walnuts, 1/2 c blueberries and 1/4 c Uncle Sam Whole Wheat and Flax cereal. I add the cereal just before I eat it so it's still crunchy. That one is closer to 300 calories and I have to eat it at my desk.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    so you want to work out early in the morning, and are wondering where you can pick up breakfast?

well, i have coffee in the morning pre-work out, and i usually make my breakfast-protein shake the night before and leave it in a shake bottle.

two scoops of chocolate protein powder, 8 ounces of vanilla almond milk, two table spoons of peanut butter, 1/3 cup of uncooked oats, and a banana. it's ~500 calories and it is delicious.
  • esme1983
    esme1983 Posts: 60
    Options
    I cook an omelette up and reheat it in my work microwave when I get to work. I also make up a porridge and whey mix in a cup then add water at the gym and give it shake to drink straight after - then I might have almond butter and apple slices or similar at around 10am... hope that helps.
    I keep meaning to bring eggs and salmon in and put that in the microwave for scrambled but haven't got round to it. There are loads of options. If you've no microwave, you could get those pots of instant porridge and add hot water?

Where there's a will there's a way :)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I have to get up at 4:00 am to get ready, eat something small and drive the 30 min commute to my gym which is 5 mins from work, start at 7 am. Here's what I do:

Preworkout breakfast of oatmeal, bacon and coffee.
    Post workout shake on way to work.
    Next meal which is my morning snack is about 90 mins later and it's usually yogurt/cottage cheese and fruit and a protein oatmeal bar I make.

You don't have to have a big meal, this is a result of breaking up my normal breakfast on my off day.
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I do not. Leangains.com
    Love it, and yes works GREAT!
  • jimlambrt2
    jimlambrt2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I go to crossfit at 6:30 am. I'm up at 5am, so I have a protein shake and 1 serving (a cup) of Cheerios w/milk right when I get up. This gives me the energy to kill my workout. Post workout, I have a protein drink and a banana. So a total of 60g protein, 30g carbs and 500cal, between the two morning meals that bookend my workout (about 2.5 hrs between the two small meals).
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be eating right before you work out you may find that something with simple carbs will help you with energy, especially on cardio days. On my days that I do my long runs I have a bagel with jelly. After the workout is when your muscles need the protein so I usually have a spinach shake.

My spinach shake is: 10 oz water, one scoop vanilla protein powder (you can do whatever the bottle tells your for scoops, I shoot for about 20-30 grams) two handfuls fresh baby spinach, frozen mango chunks, fresh strawberries, a couple ice cubes, blend until smooth and enjoy.

You can use any combo of fruit that you want. The spinach liquifies and you can't taste it at all, sneaky way to get in more iron and leafy greens.

On the days that I teach Spinning I have cereal and a banana, but it takes me about an hour to get to work so I have time to digest before I get there.
  • grandevampire
    Options
    These are all great ideas!

The key ideas I'm getting are:
    - Setting things up that can be minimally prepped just before consummation at the gym (just add water)
    - Essentially fully packing two meals instead of just lunch and eating one when I get to work.

I guess the reason I was a bit worried is that I usually have like a ~700 kcal breakfast (including my pre-workout shake) :P, so I was trying to imagine getting all the pieces together for on the go. Should be doable though with a mish-mash of the packing tips above!
  • grandevampire
    Options
    If you're going to be eating right before you work out you may find that something with simple carbs will help you with energy, especially on cardio days. On my days that I do my long runs I have a bagel with jelly. After the workout is when your muscles need the protein so I usually have a spinach shake.

My spinach shake is: 10 oz water, one scoop vanilla protein powder (you can do whatever the bottle tells your for scoops, I shoot for about 20-30 grams) two handfuls fresh baby spinach, frozen mango chunks, fresh strawberries, a couple ice cubes, blend until smooth and enjoy.

You can use any combo of fruit that you want. The spinach liquifies and you can't taste it at all, sneaky way to get in more iron and leafy greens.

On the days that I teach Spinning I have cereal and a banana, but it takes me about an hour to get to work so I have time to digest before I get there.

Shakes are great, and I have them at home after I work out. However, I have trouble imagining how that could work if you wanted to consume it post-workout at the gym. I wouldn't think that a pre-blended smoothie would keep very well in a gym locker?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Shakes are great, and I have them at home after I work out. However, I have trouble imagining how that could work if you wanted to consume it post-workout at the gym. I wouldn't think that a pre-blended smoothie would keep very well in a gym locker?

I usually cook a weeks worth of breakfasts on Sunday, and bring them with me to eat in the office when I get here.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

While my shake is just water and whey, you know you could pack the shake in a lunch cooler???? I have a 6 meal bag that has insulated drink holders on the side for this very reason.