Shoes!

Options
Aesop101
Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
I started hitting the gym a bit more seriously in February. At first I noticed some stiffness behind my right knee.I was jogging and walking on the treadmill. Then one day shooting pains started going up the side of my leg. Later my knee cap felt odd. Like it was floating. A couple of months later after a long work out my knee was stiff but not too sore.

The next day it hurt and the day after it hurt to the bone. It was a deep prolonged pain. I could hardly negotiate the 4 steps to get into work. So I took some time off. It felt better but not good.

Noticing I had holes in the top of my tennis shoes and that the heels were starting to come off I went to the shoe store to get some new tennis shoes. The next day I put them on for work. Instant relief! Who knew?!

My knew is not a 100% yet but I'm back at the gym just doing the stationary bike and it is so much better. No stiffness and no soreness. I figure a tough lesson learned. From now on I will watch those shoes closely. I've also promised myself to go to a place that properly fits shoes.

Replies

• katrina3186
    katrina3186 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that shoes are essential to a workout regimen. I used to think Nikes were the best because they were Nikes and all the famous athletes wore them. I began walking daily with my friends and started developing substantial ankle swelling and I developed plantar fasciitis. This causes a TERRIBLE pain in the heel of the foot, to the point of walking on tip toes when getting up in the morning.

Anyway, I started doing my research and I have come to love the Brooks like of shoes! I know they are primarily advertised as a running shoe but they have different styles for different needs and they discuss that in detail on their website. I bought my first pair and I have hardly any heal and foot pain anymore and all ankle swelling is gone. I recently bought my second pair, a different style and once again, I am IMPRESSED. They are great for cross training like Insanity and Turbo Fire but also super light weight etc. for running.

It truly is ALL ABOUT THE SHOES!
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If you are using your shoes for training (as opposed to leisure wear, see rebook slippers) then they should be replaced every 6 mths. Although they may look pristine on the outside they break down on the inside and do not support the foot correctly anymore.

At least, this is what I was told by a few different people and it makes sense.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I recently got out of Brooks and into a Nike Air Pegasus - best move I ever made. My plantar fasciitis was at a debilitating level... not so anymore. I feel like I'm walking on air in the Nikes. Rather than recommending one particular brand of shoes though, what I recommend is going to a running store (I went to Running Center) where they can analyze your gait. They did mine even though I don't run and found that my problem was that I was in a motion control shoe for over-pronators, when I actually have a pretty neutral gait. The Nike Air Pegasus shoes I'm in now are a neutral shoe. Since wearing them, my foot pain is 90% gone, my limp (due to foot pain) has mostly resolved, and my ankles and knees are loving me.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I recently got out of Brooks and into a Nike Air Pegasus - best move I ever made. My plantar fasciitis was at a debilitating level... not so anymore. I feel like I'm walking on air in the Nikes. Rather than recommending one particular brand of shoes though, what I recommend is going to a running store (I went to Running Center) where they can analyze your gait. They did mine even though I don't run and found that my problem was that I was in a motion control shoe for over-pronators, when I actually have a pretty neutral gait. The Nike Air Pegasus shoes I'm in now are a neutral shoe. Since wearing them, my foot pain is 90% gone, my limp (due to foot pain) has mostly resolved, and my ankles and knees are loving me.

That's right, the type of shoes is more important than the brand. For neutral runners Brooks Glycerin is highly praised.
  • sdpeklo
    sdpeklo Posts: 82
    Options
    I have noticed that shoes are essential to a workout regimen. I used to think Nikes were the best because they were Nikes and all the famous athletes wore them. I began walking daily with my friends and started developing substantial ankle swelling and I developed plantar fasciitis. This causes a TERRIBLE pain in the heel of the foot, to the point of walking on tip toes when getting up in the morning.

Anyway, I started doing my research and I have come to love the Brooks like of shoes! I know they are primarily advertised as a running shoe but they have different styles for different needs and they discuss that in detail on their website. I bought my first pair and I have hardly any heal and foot pain anymore and all ankle swelling is gone. I recently bought my second pair, a different style and once again, I am IMPRESSED. They are great for cross training like Insanity and Turbo Fire but also super light weight etc. for running.

It truly is ALL ABOUT THE SHOES!

I second this. I am a HUGE Brooks fan. I love them for running. I like Asics for workout classes but it is Brooks for walking and running all the way. Going to a specialty shoe store that watches and can assess your gait is worth every penny vs....years of pt...rehab and surgery. Spend a little more now avoid all the pain and financial distress later.
  • Angie2822
    Angie2822 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Shoes are so much more important than I ever realized. I actually just switched over all of my casual shoes as well. I bought myself a pair of Berkenstocks to wear in the summer and I find that is making a big difference. My work flats are new as well. I donated my other shoes as I had a lot of them. I don't have a large selection now because the ones I have are more expensive but my legs and back feel a lot better.