What is the right weight for someone at 5'7?

Options
I'm 20 and 5'7 and currently have my goal set at 140lb, but the closer I get to it (now 8lb away) the more I feel like I will probably want to lose more than that. I do however want to get the balance right- and don't want to take my weight loss too far.
What would you say would be a good weight for me to be?

Replies

• missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Well, at 115 I looked scary skinny. 125 looked very small but healthy, and 130 was about perfect for me. I'm trying to get to 135 now, since I'm 30 and I'd like muscles now ;)
  • Puffingmuffin
    Puffingmuffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It depends on yourself. For me personally, I'm 5"7' too and I've always dreamed of wearing a bandage crop bra top with a neon skirt. Sounds a bit slutty I know, but thats the goal. Reckon I need to be a size 0-2 for that. So ideally, my goal will be 110-115 pounds. Of course you don't want to just do cardio and have a flat bum. I'm currently doing 100-150 squats a day.

Ps: I'm referring to this outfit.
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=bandage+crop+top&hl=en-GB&espv=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sboxchip=Images&sa=X&ei=lTi4UebKFs_VkAWZsYCoBw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=504#biv=i|50;d|TfsU1SIChhP8PM:
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and goal is 140-145. I was 142 a couple years ago and that was right for me. UK size 12.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 134.3 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 138.1 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 135.8 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 134.3 lbs
    Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 113.6 lbs - 169.2 lbs

However, it all depends on your body - how big your frame is, where you carry your weight, how much muscle/fat you have. Basically, it boils down to what you feel comfortable with and what you think looks best.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 134.3 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 138.1 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 135.8 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 134.3 lbs
    Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 113.6 lbs - 169.2 lbs

all those formulas are based on averages and only work for average people. (and how many people are totally average?) I'm 5'1" and 22-23% body fat (i.e. right in the middle of the healthy range) and I weigh 131lb. An extra 6 inches in height would be only 4-5lb......?
    However, it all depends on your body - how big your frame is, where you carry your weight, how much muscle/fat you have. Basically, it boils down to what you feel comfortable with and what you think looks best.

^^^^ this is absolutely correct. Keep this bit and ignore the formuals. Even BMI has a huge range, that whole range isn't healthy for everyone. Small framed people should be at the low end of the range, medium framed people in the middle somewhere and large framed people at the high end. And some people will fall outside that range at a healthy body fat percentage.

It's better to base your goal on body fat percentage than weight. This article is fantastic and I totally recommend the report that you can download for free as well: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and between 148-155 depending what day of the week it is. My goal is 129 but I usually can maintain pretty easy at 135ish. I think so much of it depends on your frame and build. Maybe the goal shouldn't be a number on a scale but how you look and feel.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and my goal is anywhere between 145-150, I am currently at 158 and I am ok with how I look. I have a very athletic/muscular build so I carry more weight than most people think. My lowest weight ever was around 135, after I dropped about 10 lbs from food poisoning. It really really varies so much person to person what weight is right for them.
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    Rule of thumb for a woman is for 5ft its 100lbs and then 5lbs for every inch.. so not including muscles 135lbs is good. I think on a fit
    woman who is ripped 140 would be perfect,
    if you want to be lean 130-135.
    For men its 120lbs for 5ft and 5 lbs for every inch. I am 5 foot 7 also and weigh 165 and people think I am to thin. But thats
    mostly larger people.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Rule of thumb for a woman is for 5ft its 100lbs and then 5lbs for every inch.. so not including muscles 135lbs is good. I think on a fit
    For men its 120lbs for 5ft and 5 lbs for every inch. I am 5 foot 7 also and weigh 165 and people think I am to thin. But thats
    mostly larger people.

LOL are you serious.....?

I'm 5'1" and my lean body mass (not weight, lean body mass) is 101lb. So are you seriously saying I should weigh 105lb?? That would be about 2% body fat.

Yes I lift heavy weights but I'm actually a noob (aka novice) at lifting, i.e. serious lifting for a few months or less. My lean body mass hasn't gone up more than maybe 1lb since doing that. In other words, I'm not ripped, jacked, whatever you want to call it, I'm a noob.

I weigh 130lb at 22-23% body fat. Your rule of thumb is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off. For small framed women maybe. But not for medium or large framed women.
  • lucyprunner
    Options
    Hiya!
    I'm 5'7" and aiming to maintain at 130. If I'm under that I feel too scrawny! X
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm just a little over 5'7" and looked good at around 140lbs. That being said, my best friend is that same height as me and looks good at 125lbs. It all depends on how YOU want to look. =) I say anywhere between 120-145lbs is a safe bet for you.
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Ehh depends. On paper I'm around high/ideal weight for my height but I have a really small frame. Really. But if you look at my family they are all v slender- even the women have flat chests and no butts! Which means as my weight has increased, it's all gone around the thighs and hips and it looks wrong. My lower arms and legs are still thin. It's the middle that's expanding.

So rather than carry on with this idea that this arbitrary measure will do but knowing deep down inside that I'm not "myself" I'm just taking steps. I know what my body is in its healthy state and it's on the low side of the "normal" BMI.
    Weirdly same goes for my boyfriend who is quite slight but is starting to get a belly- I guess we've coupled up and gotten comfortable!

What is your frame like? What do your parents/ aunts and uncles look like?
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    mostly larger people.

I'm 5'1" and my lean body mass (not weight, lean body mass) is 101lb. So are you seriously saying I should weigh 105lb?? That would be about 2% body fat.

Yes I lift heavy weights but I'm actually a noob (aka novice) at lifting, i.e. serious lifting for a few months or less. My lean body mass hasn't gone up more than maybe 1lb since doing that. In other words, I'm not ripped, jacked, whatever you want to call it, I'm a noob.

I weigh 130lb at 22-23% body fat. Your rule of thumb is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off. For small framed women maybe. But not for medium or large framed women.

Hey I am just the messenger I did not make this up I think 5'1 anything between 115 and 125 with muscle would be fine. Thats
    just me my daughter who is 5ft weights 105 and looks great. But she is 19 who does not look great at 19.
  • newsharonkay
    newsharonkay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    According to the BMI calulator it is 131-156. At 156 you'd be at the 25% they say is healthy..When we feel good in our clothes is a good test for me.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I think it depends on your frame, your muscles, etc.. I remember a long time ago someone saying if you are 5 feet tall you should be 100 pounds, and add 5 pounds for every inch :) That's obviously not a scientific measurement!

I don't think anyone can tell you, you'll just know when you get there.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    mostly larger people.

Hey I am just the messenger I did not make this up I think 5'1 anything between 115 and 125 with muscle would be fine. Thats
    just me my daughter who is 5ft weights 105 and looks great. But she is 19 who does not look great at 19.

I didn't say you made this up, but whoever did make this up did not base this rule in science, or on any knowledge of human physiology or how much humans can vary. And this kind of thing needs to be corrected, because it's potentially dangerous.

You can't say how much someone should weigh from their height alone. You're assuming that the only thing that can vary between two individuals of the same height is muscle mass. That's not how it works. Frame size (i.e. the width of the shoulder bones and pelvis, and the width and depth of the rib cage) and relative limb proportions (e.g. whether someone has a longer torso and shorter limbs or vice versa), bone density and other factors affect how heavy someone is at any given height. That's before you consider muscle mass, which also can vary considerably. But even two sedentary people (i.e. who've never built extra muscle mass) at the same height and same body fat percentage will not necessarily weigh the same, and their weight may vary by as much as 30lb or more.

I weigh more than the range you said above, i.e. 115-125lb at 5'1" and 22-23% body fat, and I haven't really started building muscle yet. The healthy range for body fat percentage is 18-28%. At 28% body fat I'd weigh 140lb and still be healthy, that's assuming I don't put on any muscle. So your range that you say above is fine, is incorrect. Also, the range that would be a healthy weight for me would not be appropriate for your daughter. If she has a healthy body fat percentage at 105lb, then she would have a too high body fat percentage at 130lb. Conversely, if I was to attempt to weigh 105lb, I'd have to starve off about 20lb of lean body mass to get there, i.e. not remotely healthy. My lean body mass is only about 4lb less than your daughter's entire weight, even though she's only an inch shorter than me. And most of that is not from muscle, it's just from variation in frame size.

So you can't tell how much someone should weigh based on their height alone, and your numbers are more worrying than usual, because they're not even appropriate for people with average frames, only small framed people. Most people are average, so your predicted ideal weights are not even appropriate for most women, and that's before anyone starts factoring in muscle mass. And I feel the same about the numbers you put down for men.

You should read this about body fat percentage as the answer to the OPs question really needs to be "base your weight on your current body fat percentage": http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages there are also plenty of sites on the internet about the futility and inappropriateness of weight/height charts including BMI. BTW when I was at university, I did my undergraduate study on this topic. Large framed athletic people frequently fall into the "overweight" range of BMI while being at a healthy body fat percentage, in the case of men (who can put on more muscle than women) being in the "obese" category of BMI while having a very low body fat percentage, e.g. 10% or less, is not uncommon.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

I think it depends on your frame, your muscles, etc.. I remember a long time ago someone saying if you are 5 feet tall you should be 100 pounds, and add 5 pounds for every inch :) That's obviously not a scientific measurement!

you're right, and it's not only not scientific, it's a potentially dangerous target for all women who have average or larger than average frames. It's a good target for small framed women only.

body fat percentage is much better, i.e. get it measured reliably and base your goal weight on that, while losing fat slowly to make sure it's just fat you're losing and not muscle: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • lafilleavectoi
    lafilleavectoi Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think you're at a point where you can make assessments based on how you look/feel. I'm also 5'7 and at 225lbs, I just wanted to be 160lbs for the longest time. Now that I am there, I am just focusing on building muscle and how I look/feel. I basically got rid of my scale.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Look at lots of photos of people your height with their weights and find a look that's what you're aiming for. I'm 5'7 and athletic. I think I look best between 125-130. You are a darling girl btw.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

you're right, and it's not only not scientific, it's a potentially dangerous target for all women who have average or larger than average frames. It's a good target for small framed women only.

body fat percentage is much better, i.e. get it measured reliably and base your goal weight on that, while losing fat slowly to make sure it's just fat you're losing and not muscle: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

That makes the target for a woman of 5'7" 135. That is not "potentially dangerous" no matter what your "frame," It's pretty spot on healthy.