Why are you a vegetarian?

Options

Replies

• SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

"If all the grain currently fed to livestock in the United States were consumed directly by people, the number of people who could be fed would be nearly 800 million," David Pimentel, professor of ecology in Cornell University's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, reported at the July 24-26 meeting of the Canadian Society of Animal Science in Montreal. Or, if those grains were exported, it would boost the U.S. trade balance by $80 billion a year, Pimentel estimated.

With only grass-fed livestock, individual Americans would still get more than the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of meat and dairy protein, according to Pimentel's report, "Livestock Production: Energy Inputs and the Environment."

...Which just goes to show intelligence does int equal common sense.

A lot of grain produced, especially in the UK lacks the protein content to be useful for milling etc, and therefore is only saleable as animal feed....
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    My wife is vegetarian because she sees the cute lamb of piglet on her plate. However, we have 3 boys who all eat meat with me - the allure of bacon and sausage is jus too strong! The only time she would object to handling and cooking it is if it is really bloody.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    The way I see it:

You eat meat? Cool.

You don't eat meat? Cool.

2e5v6yq.gif
    Pretty much how I see it. I'm striving toward vegetarian myself, and I count radical vegans, meat eaters, and even hunters among my friends. It's a personal choice. It would be a very boring world if we all had the same views on everything.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

"If all the grain currently fed to livestock in the United States were consumed directly by people, the number of people who could be fed would be nearly 800 million," David Pimentel, professor of ecology in Cornell University's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, reported at the July 24-26 meeting of the Canadian Society of Animal Science in Montreal. Or, if those grains were exported, it would boost the U.S. trade balance by $80 billion a year, Pimentel estimated.

With only grass-fed livestock, individual Americans would still get more than the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of meat and dairy protein, according to Pimentel's report, "Livestock Production: Energy Inputs and the Environment."

A lot of grain produced, especially in the UK lacks the protein content to be useful for milling etc, and therefore is only saleable as animal feed....

hmm.... the word of David Pimentel, professor of ecology in Cornell University's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences or... wait who are you?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Can we get an admin in here? Why is nothing ever done when people troll vegetarian posts with meat photos?
  • potatocar
    potatocar Posts: 250 Member
    Options

You kill all the time when you eat food, there's no way around it. I'd never eat eggs from a vegetarian raised hen. Chickens aren't vegetarian.

That's like saying you pollute the environment by driving a car, so you might as well spill a few tons of oil into the ocean. There's no way around it, right?
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    READ My Page! Also, I am in this for HEALTH, not some philosophical reason like saving animals. Hey, when you are raised on meat, as MOST Humans are...YES, you will crave it. The GREAT thing about Humans is that WE have the ability NOT to give in to BASER Instincts, If we CHOOSE. So da Heyall with what I crave, it's about what I give into!

The more important question is, "Why are YOU a pus and mucus eater, YES, meat turns into pus in the human body and starch turns into mucus in the body if it is not a clean burning carb! This mucus and pus turns the body acidic and is the cause of ALL disease! If you did not know, NOW you know!!!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    The more important question is, "Why are YOU a pus and mucus eater, YES, meat turns into pus in the human body and starch turns into mucus in the body if it is not a clean burning carb! This mucus and pus turns the body acidic and is the cause of ALL disease! If you did not know, NOW you know!!!

oh really cause calories turns into adipsoe tissue and food turns into feces

what are you doing?
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I used to hunt. I stopped killing for sport because it didn't seem that sporting. Then I stopped eating veal because it was cruel. Eventually, I realized that I couldn't justify killing something else because I like the way it tastes. Since I can live in perfect health without meat,that was what I needed to do. I limit my dairy because it's not terribly good for me (both based on studies I've seen and my own personal experiments with how I feel with and without dairy). I don't eat eggs often, but I make sure to get vegetarian-fed, free range eggs with good reviews from independent watchdog groups so as to not cause any needless suffering. I also try to make sure that the human workers are treated humanely (with vegetables and fruits as well), but data on that can be harder to come by.

Short version: it's better for me and I don't feel guilty about eating vegetables.

You kill all the time when you eat food, there's no way around it. I'd never eat eggs from a vegetarian raised hen. Chickens aren't vegetarian.
    People die in the production of food as well. Does that mean that I should kill and eat them? Yes, animals are going to day daily. But I do not have to make the conscious choice to raise creatures, pump them full of antibiotics so that they can handle fattening diets they were never intended to consume, and kill them painfully because some local fauna might accidentally die during the cultivation of vegetables. It's a reductio ad absurdum argument that holds no merit. Just because something may happen by accident does not mean you should seek to do it on a massive scale.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I was raised vege but now eat meat. I do make a point of being an ethical meat eater though. I only eat uk meat (we have some of the strictest rules regarding farm welfare) and choose free range, freedom food, farm assured or, better yet, game. I suspect it's healthier to eat too, with a diet of grass instead of wtf pellets.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I used to hunt. I stopped killing for sport because it didn't seem that sporting. Then I stopped eating veal because it was cruel. Eventually, I realized that I couldn't justify killing something else because I like the way it tastes. Since I can live in perfect health without meat,that was what I needed to do. I limit my dairy because it's not terribly good for me (both based on studies I've seen and my own personal experiments with how I feel with and without dairy). I don't eat eggs often, but I make sure to get vegetarian-fed, free range eggs with good reviews from independent watchdog groups so as to not cause any needless suffering. I also try to make sure that the human workers are treated humanely (with vegetables and fruits as well), but data on that can be harder to come by.

Short version: it's better for me and I don't feel guilty about eating vegetables.

People die in the production of food as well. Does that mean that I should kill and eat them? Yes, animals are going to day daily. But I do not have to make the conscious choice to raise creatures, pump them full of antibiotics so that they can handle fattening diets they were never intended to consume, and kill them painfully because some local fauna might accidentally die during the cultivation of vegetables. It's a reductio ad absurdum argument that holds no merit. Just because something may happen by accident does not mean you should seek to do it on a massive scale.
    it's a crying shame that farming has sunk so low. It doesn't have to be that way! I could walk 15 minutes from my house and be in a field with healthy, contented, playful bullocks that have never known cruelty. That beef is a little more expensive but it's well worth it.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I never said that vegetarians suffer from neurological conditions due to lack of B12. Most vegetarians consume animal products in some form or fashion, be it from dairy or eggs. VEGANS always have a problem with B12, supplemented or not.

I did not, when I was vegan.

How long were you a vegan? It take several years for your body's B12 stores to run out and manifest symptoms.

I was a well supplemented vegan, as are many these days. I also never had a protein or iron deficiency... My b12 stores never "ran out", because they were consistently added to. The only people I know with b12 problems are NOT vegans. I know of one who used to, but no longer does, despite being a vegan for greater than 30 years.
  • atxmaria
    atxmaria Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I knew a few vegetarians, and decided that I will try it for two months, just to know what it feels like - avoiding meat, selecting food... sort of "walk in their shoes". Well, a month later I decided to try a sandwich with meat (they didn't have vegetarian options), and I didn't like the taste of meat. It was roastbeef i think. I tried chicken, and it seem to taste good, but red meat - no. And I just ended up quitting meat, and only eating seafood. That works fine, and I defenitely started eating much healthier
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

hmm.... the word of David Pimentel, professor of ecology in Cornell University's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences or... wait who are you?

I'm a farmer. Although I am a livestock farmer, I rent my land elsewhere and the farm I actually live on is a 3000ac arable farm. Last year, for example (2012 harvest being of particular poor quality), my landlord harvested no wheat suitable for milling (some of it was not really good for much at all). Until fairly recently, the majority of the UKs milling wheat came from Canada.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan because that's how I choose to live my life...simple really :smile:
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I never said that vegetarians suffer from neurological conditions due to lack of B12. Most vegetarians consume animal products in some form or fashion, be it from dairy or eggs. VEGANS always have a problem with B12, supplemented or not.

I did not, when I was vegan.

How long were you a vegan? It take several years for your body's B12 stores to run out and manifest symptoms.

I was a well supplemented vegan, as are many these days. I also never had a protein or iron deficiency... My b12 stores never "ran out", because they were consistently added to. The only people I know with b12 problems are NOT vegans. I know of one who used to, but no longer does, despite being a vegan for greater than 30 years.

My daughter just went vegan and this is my biggest concern. She is actually eating better and looks healthier, gaining weight too, which she needs. We bought a vitamin for vegans, but I am still concerned about the B12. Its good to hear you didn't have a problem, but I would love to hear your thoughts.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    My daughter just went vegan and this is my biggest concern. She is actually eating better and looks healthier, gaining weight too, which she needs. We bought a vitamin for vegans, but I am still concerned about the B12. Its good to hear you didn't have a problem, but I would love to hear your thoughts.

http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyle/nutrition/b12.aspx

This might help :)
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My Vegan friend is also crazy. Coincidence?
    Not really. Lack of B12 found only in animal products will eventually progress to neurological issues.
    ---Actually, you can't find B12 in animal products either except for the fact that the animals eat plants (unwashed) and pick up the B12 from dirt. Before humans started washing their produce, we got our B12 the same way. As a vegan, I'd rather take a supplement than eat dirt.
    To the OP, in answer to your question, watch Earthlings on youtube or Forks Over Knives (for starters). There are lots of reasons to go veg, not the least of which is your health and the health of Planet Earth. It takes 13 lbs of grain to raise 1 lb of beef- imagine how many people we could feed if the elite (meateaters) let that grain go to the hungry? The single greatest cause of global warming is the methane gas produced by cattle. The runoff from meat and dairy farms is polluting the water supply. I could go on and on, but seriously, watch those documentaries and more to get you started.

To add to what you are saying, as I mentioned I was raised in a vegetarian community. I am an Indian and my family, extended family, husband's family - and many more such families within India have been vegetarians for generations. I am likely to conclude - forever. So far, there haven't been ANY neurological issues. We do not have any sort of health issues due to vegetarianism. Yes, I will admit, that many vegetarians eat lot of carbs. But thats because they are habituated to it and not because there aren't proteins within this diet. Nevertheless, I must say that even though my family's diet has been revolving around carbs - something that I am in the process of changing - there haven't been major issues so far. Older generations didnt even know about these essential micronutrients and vitamins.... what our generation knows...I don't claim to be a knowledgeable person in the area of nutrition, but I am just stating the facts..
    I believe these vitamin deficiencies etc probably are happening mostly because of inadequate research on the subject before converting into a vegetarian... or probably because their body was conditioned to non-vegetarian way of living and functioned expecting that lifestyle to continue...

[/quote]

Funny- I know a lot of vegans and not one of them has a problem....
  • hungrypotato
    hungrypotato Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Because one night I was having a steak dinner and then all the sudden it started mooing at me.
    I was like wtf, I Never ate meat again

Lol joking aside, I can't be a vegetarian, it's impossible for me.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    My Vegan friend is also crazy. Coincidence?
    Not really. Lack of B12 found only in animal products will eventually progress to neurological issues.
    ---Actually, you can't find B12 in animal products either except for the fact that the animals eat plants (unwashed) and pick up the B12 from dirt. Before humans started washing their produce, we got our B12 the same way. As a vegan, I'd rather take a supplement than eat dirt.
    To the OP, in answer to your question, watch Earthlings on youtube or Forks Over Knives (for starters). There are lots of reasons to go veg, not the least of which is your health and the health of Planet Earth. It takes 13 lbs of grain to raise 1 lb of beef- imagine how many people we could feed if the elite (meateaters) let that grain go to the hungry? The single greatest cause of global warming is the methane gas produced by cattle. The runoff from meat and dairy farms is polluting the water supply. I could go on and on, but seriously, watch those documentaries and more to get you started.

To add to what you are saying, as I mentioned I was raised in a vegetarian community. I am an Indian and my family, extended family, husband's family - and many more such families within India have been vegetarians for generations. I am likely to conclude - forever. So far, there haven't been ANY neurological issues. We do not have any sort of health issues due to vegetarianism. Yes, I will admit, that many vegetarians eat lot of carbs. But thats because they are habituated to it and not because there aren't proteins within this diet. Nevertheless, I must say that even though my family's diet has been revolving around carbs - something that I am in the process of changing - there haven't been major issues so far. Older generations didnt even know about these essential micronutrients and vitamins.... what our generation knows...I don't claim to be a knowledgeable person in the area of nutrition, but I am just stating the facts..
    I believe these vitamin deficiencies etc probably are happening mostly because of inadequate research on the subject before converting into a vegetarian... or probably because their body was conditioned to non-vegetarian way of living and functioned expecting that lifestyle to continue...

Funny- I know a lot of vegans and not one of them has a problem....
    [/quote]

their food is fortified with it.