Foods to avoid before running

Options
Yesterday, I learned (by almost, um, leaving it all on the floor) that there are definitely things I shouldn't eat before running. I, apparently, have no problems eating a ginormous burger before a run, but a tuna sandwich (maybe it was the mayo??) almost did me in!

So, what are some things you would recommend NEVER eating before a run?

Replies

• kelli543
    kelli543 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    From experience, Chorizo, and cucumber. Urgh.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I simply don't eat closer to about an hour before I run. If I have to eat, I take something small like an energy bar. Glucose gel shot followed with water is ok anytime.
  • hammomh
    hammomh Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    One's I have learnt I need to avoid are cooked green veg (cabbage or broccoli), red meat, chillis, soy sauce and coffee!

I have my list of "safe" foods I can eat before short and long runs now

Edit: and ALL fruit
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I can't have coffee right before. I has a green eye within 30 minutes of a run once and it was not pretty. :(
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I simply don't eat closer to about an hour before I run. If I have to eat, I take something small like an energy bar. Glucose gel shot followed with water is ok anytime.
    I pretty much follow this guideline. It doesn't matter all that much what it is as long as the timing is such that it isn't too close to either end of the digestive tract. A friend that runs long distance a lot suggested the Special K protein bars specifically for eating shortly before a run. He said they are not near the top of the list as a general protein bar but they never feel heavy or cause bloat while running.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    For me it's not so much what to avoid as having a safe set of foods, and not eating too much. Clif Bars, bananas, and toast are pretty much the only things I'll eat within an hour of a run. And typically I won't eat anything before a run unless it's going to be 90 minutes or longer.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I generally don't eat at all before a morning run, but the evening runs really complicate things for me. I like the idea of having a safe list!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    For myself, short runs were about timing. I didn't avoid anything. However when training for my 2 1/2's, I learned for my long runs of 8+ miles that high fiber and dairy the day before and day of were a no go. No No No. Unless you enjoy debilitating stomach pains and spending the rest of your day in the bathroom. :(
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Fettuccine Alfredo

michael_scott_carb_load_snarf1_527924.jpg
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    Fettuccine Alfredo

Aww..."The Office" back when it was actually good! Yeah, I'm all for carb loading, but not with fettucini alfredo! Yikes!
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    For me it's not so much what to avoid as having a safe set of foods, and not eating too much. Clif Bars, bananas, and toast are pretty much the only things I'll eat within an hour of a run. And typically I won't eat anything before a run unless it's going to be 90 minutes or longer.
    This.

That, and keeping from fiber filled foods. Normally it's a good thing, but when you're out for awhile, it can become painful..
  • kelli543
    kelli543 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have to say, the chorizo was about 3 hours before an evening run I didn't know in advance that I was going to do.... I doubt anyone is bonkers enough to figure it is a good pre-race food!

ETA: It was only a little bit, and three hours before, but BOY did it make its presence known.
  • fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For me , within 60 min to the run, I just don't eat nothing with high numbers of fibers ... or milk or any food with it inside ! Milk is terrible hahaha
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    One's I have learnt I need to avoid are cooked green veg (cabbage or broccoli), red meat, chillis, soy sauce and coffee!

I have my list of "safe" foods I can eat before short and long runs now

Edit: and ALL fruit

What he said.... especially the fruit
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I tried going out for a 5 mile morning run before breakfast a few weeks ago and started feeling really light-headed towards the end so the empty-stomach thing doesn't work for me, at least not for longer runs! If I run in the morning, I tend to choose something small and slow-release carby like a small bowl of porridge or some brown toast and peanut butter. If I run in the evenings, I go before dinner as I'll still have 'fuel' left from lunch time. I always try not to run within an hour of eating as I find I'll get a stitch, and on longer runs it becomes, erm, very 'uncomfortable' shall we say....
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Fettuccine Alfredo

Lmao. Love that episode.

I try to keep whatever eat before running light and sort of bland. Once I tried to run after eating pizza. Nope.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I avoid eating just about anything within 2 hours of a run. My tummy doesn't move food through very fast, and nausea on a run sucks! And, I've found that eating old fashioned oatmeal in the morning if I'm planning a lunch time run is an extreme no-no for me! Oh the bloating!!! Ugh!
  • Lauren_JustStrong
    Lauren_JustStrong Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A friend told me that if you drink an energy drink before a work out/run, it is better because you burn more calories.. that may be the case but it also made me sick afterwards... just personal preference, I do not advise this.
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    A friend told me that if you drink an energy drink before a work out/run, it is better because you burn more calories.. that may be the case but it also made me sick afterwards... just personal preference, I do not advise this.

I'm not a fan of energy drinks, but I know some people who swear by them. I'm all about the water! And coffee...coffee is my energy drink!
  • LGrill27
    LGrill27 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I learned (by almost, um, leaving it all on the floor) that there are definitely things I shouldn't eat before running. I, apparently, have no problems eating a ginormous burger before a run, but a tuna sandwich (maybe it was the mayo??) almost did me in!

So, what are some things you would recommend NEVER eating before a run?

Try not to eat before your run. Maybe at most an energy bar. After your run you'll be craving your tuna sandwich and should be able to keep it down.