Tomato Basil Soup

sarahwright01
sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
Ok, Tomorrow night I am going to make a homemade Tomato Basil Soup. I am so excited about this recipe! I LOVE TOMATO BASIL SOUP!

I am going to make some modifications to my tried and true recipe to make it less fatty and healthier for me!
For example, my hubby likes creamy tomato basil soup. I am going to sub 2% milk instead of half and half, and use olive oil instead of butter.

I roast the tomatoes myself, fresh from my garden.

I am so excited. Does anyone want me to post the recipe? It is a modification of Ina's from Food Network.
:happy:

Replies

• nicrus24
    nicrus24 Posts: 12 Member
    Absolutely!!!
  • Chrissun
    Chrissun Posts: 148
    I'd love it. Soccer season will be starting soon, I'm going to have to start being a lot more organized on my meal planning.
  • Yes, please post recipe! Thanks!
  • Yes please post!
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Here is the recipe!! This recipe makes a TON of soup. This soup is excellent as a soup, or if you boil it down and add in some extra thyme and oregano it will make the most amazing marinara or pasta sauce!

Cut the ingredients in half if you don't intend to freeze or can this recipe, or if you don't think you can eat all of this soup up!

Ingredients and supplies
    6 pounds equally sized tomatoes
    Olive Oil
    Salt and Pepper
    Mrs. Dash table Blend
    3 cups chopped walla walla sweet onion
    1/2 cup Chopped fresh basil
    1/4 cup dried basil
    6 table spoons of Minced garlic
    1 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
    ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (This can be omitted if you do not like spicy foods(
    2 table spoons fresh thyme
    2 table spoons fresh oregano
    4-14 oz cans of diced tomatoes
    2 quarts chicken stock
    Pam Spray
    2 Large baking dishes
    2% milk (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the green stems out of the tomatoes and slice them in half. Spray the baking dishes with Pam. Lay the cut tomatoes in an even layer in the baking dishes. Drizzle some olive oil over all of the tomatoes. (I try to only use about ¼ cup all together of olive oil). Toss the tomatoes in the oil. Sprinkle them liberally with salt, pepper and Mrs. Dash table blend. Roast these in the oven for 30-40 minutes. They will be done when they are very wrinkly on top and well cooked.

While the tomatoes are roasting preheat a HUGE soup pan with 2 Table spoons of olive oil. Toss in the onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper. Cook the mixture until the onions are browned and caramelized. Add in the canned tomatoes, HALF of the chicken stock, the oregano, thyme and basil. Turn the heat way down on the soup pot and just let it gently cook until the tomatoes are done.

Once the tomatoes are done, VERY CAREFULLY remove them from the oven and pour them (juice and all) into your soup pot. Stir it to combine. Bring it to a boil and cook it uncovered for 30-40 minutes. (Until it is at the thickness you like it). Using an immersion blender, or a normal blender, blend the soup until it is the consistency you like. For example, either leave it the way it is, it will be very chunky, or blend it until it is completely pureed.

Now you can decide if you want cream of tomato basil soup, or plain tomato basil soup!

To make Crème of Tomato Basil Soup slowly drizzle in the 2% milk until the soup is at the creaminess you wish. (Typically this takes 4-5 cups of milk) Cook the soup for about another 10-15 minutes after you add the milk. Be sure that you stay at the stove with the soup, as once you add the milk, the soup can burn very easily.

Without the milk, the soup feeds 16 people and has 120 calories per Bowl (1 bowl = 2 cups)
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    That looks awesome - thanks for posting! I've got tomatoes and basil in my yard begging to be made into this!
  • Oh..thanks so much!! That really sounds good. Tomato is my all time favorite food!!! I love tomatoe sandwiches with mayo and red onion chopped, I make Bread and Tomatoes, which is a hot dish. I also make cream of tomato soup, so easy and yummy. Again thanks!
  • mizyvee
    mizyvee Posts: 74 Member
    Bump
  • rosemary10
    rosemary10 Posts: 253
    Bump also....
  • 2girlzmm
    2girlzmm Posts: 81 Member
    bump and thank you!
This discussion has been closed.