Digital Scales?

Options
Quick question... We have a dial scale, that changes weights depending on how you stand on it and thinking happy thoughts. So, I really want to get a digital scale, not only for better acuracy, but also because even being able to see that I went down .3 pounds would make me happy. :P

So, are digital scales acurate? Is yours? Do you like digital or dial better? How much did yours cost? (Assuming you have one.)

I'd ask what kind you like but I don't want to get it on the internet. I'm just going to Wallymart or Target. I have about a 20-30 dollar limit.

Replies

• WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    My husband bought ours so I am pretty sure it was from Walmart. I believe it was around $30. It is very precise. Whenever I go to the doctor I test them against each other and they are the same.
  • SusanChambers
    Options
    I think the best, most accurate scales are the ones with balance beam (same type at the Doctor office). THere are mini versions of same for consumers.

MFP recommends NOT weighing every day. It becomes self-defeating seeing the dial go up and down every day, I think weighing once a week is often enough, regardless of the type of scale. Weigh at the same time, preferrably without clothing.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    :angry: So I just did my weigh in and was all excited because it looked like I had lost around 3 pounds! But then I shifted my feet maybe an inch down the scale and it went back up to my current weight.

WHY? :sad:
  • xLyric
    Options
    Yeah, I haven't weighed for a week, Susan, and my scale says two different things. :(

Thank you for the answer, Wren, I thnk Walmart, as much of a time-sucker that store is, will be my best bet.
  • lesleybritton
    Options
    I have heard great things about the weight watchers scales I have a few friends that have them and they say they are VERY accurate. I have a digital one that I got from Bed Bath and Beyond that I like alot. It seems to be very accurate. I think I paid around $50 for mine but the weight watchers one might be more like $30.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my digital scales.I love that I see a loss of as little as 1/4lb (hey a loss is a loss however small!) which you wouldn't be able to read on most traditional scales.
    I bought mine in a UK supermarket, so thats not much use to you.
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    I've just ordered the weight watchers easy analysis body fat scales, i've only got a £3 dial scale and it's rubbish, it's half a stone out and really hard to read, excited to be able to get my weight and body fat accurately! Mine were £20 from amazon.co.uk ($31).
  • xLyric
    Options
    I went and bought one for 18 dollars. It was the cheapest one but there was literally NO difference between the more expensive ones other than that they could track more people and maybe your body fat. I just want something to tell me my weight!

It works great so far, it's about the same as the dial one so I think it's acurate. And it gives me the same weight no matter where I step on it, which is reassuring! Supposedly I've lost a pound, but I'm going to wait to log it until I can weigh in the morning.

Thanks for all the help, everyone! :D
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    A Weight Watchers scale which I have is pretty accurate.
    I have been using it for a long while. I bought it at Walmart
    but I don' t remember how much it cost.:smile:
  • sk_letsdothis
    sk_letsdothis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I first had a dial scale, but then I bought the digital one from Walmart ($30) and the difference was off by 3-4 lbs...WTH! so since my son had his doctor's appt. that day I decided use him as the guinea pig..they weighed him at the doc and when I got home I had him stand on both and the digital had his correct weight. I like the digital one because it's more clear, I don't have to guess what number it is.
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    SO really you must have the same scale I have! Mine totally changes depending on how you stand on it, it can change by 3-5 pounds sometimes! I have often thought of getting a digital one too, but I thought they were more expensive than $30. Maybe I can get one if they are that price! It would be nice to know my actual weight. Also my mom's ditgital one weighs me at 3 pounds less than mine so maybe that is the way to go!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you have heard of Olson on your side. A consumer reporter. He tested all sorts and the best seemed to be digital and Taylor glass was the most accurate. http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100121/bc_olsen_scales_100121/20100121?hub=BritishColumbiaHome
    I pasted a link if you want to check it out.
    Funny thing is I use me wii to weigh me. Accuracy doesn't matter to much as long as I am going down.
    Shel
  • judswi
    judswi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have the ww scale and if i get on and off 10 times it is the same weight and it is the same as the doctors office so very accurate.