Help me figure out my routine, please?

Options
I'm trying to figure out how to tone my body even more then it already is. I'm currently around 17-17.5% body fat and want to bring myself down to about 15-16%. I know this has A LOT to do with what I eat... I've been really persistent on making sure I'm taking in the right foods and eating enough calories (TDEE 2,155 - 20% = approx 1,800 calories/day) with the right foods (avocados, almonds, lean chicken, brown basimati rice, greek yogurt, protein shakes, LOTS of water, spinach, asparagus, nut butters, etc.)

My plan is to start doing a new routine at the gym M-W-F I do weights and T-T I do HIIT - it's called Shred (Jillian Michaels inspired).

Now, my question is, what kind of routine should I do?

Option 1: Upper body then /lower body 2 workout cycles (M cycle 1, W cycle 2, F cycle 1 week 1/M cycle 2, W cycle 1, F cycle 2 week 2)

Option 2: Front of body Back of body routine (same as above)

Option 3: Leg day, front of upper body and back of upper body which would be 3 workouts I'd do every week

If anyone has any advice and actual exercises that would be beneficial, I would REALLY appreciate it!

I know Deadlifts, Squats, Lunges, Chest Press, (assisted) Pull ups are an absolute must!

Thank you in advance!!! :smile:

Replies

• footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I was also given this as an option:

Day 1 - Back, biceps, abs
    Day 2 - Chest, shoulders, triceps
    Day 3 - Legs and abs
  • footiechick82
    Options
    bump
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I assume you're not an experienced lifter?

Given your goals, you're going to have to have things pretty well dialed in to see further gains. Do full body 3x week, ideally focusing on the big compound lifts (squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, row). Do 5-10 reps, 3-5 sets heavy enough so you are all but failing the last rep or 2. Heavy lifting is crucial to retaining muscle as you continue to lose weight (which is the essence of toning).

I'd do 1-2 days of HIIT if you feel up for it, but the heavy lifting alone is probably enough.

Doing splits, regardless of what split you chose, will work but your progress will be slower.

On a side note, I'd reduce your deficit to 10% and make sure you are getting enough protein.
  • footiechick82
    Options
    Thank you!

I am experienced, it's just the last 2% is going to be a challenge, and I'm definitely up for it!

I love HIIT and I won't give that up :)

So, instead of 20% deficit, do a 10% deficit? I try to get about between 75 and 100g's of protein a day. I weigh about 134lbs.

If I do a 10% deficit, that's 1,960(ish) calories a day - that's A LOT of food! hahaha
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    134lbs * 17% bf = ~23lbs of body fat, which means you've got ~ 111lbs of lean mass. General rule of thumb is 1g of protein per lb of lean mass, so you should be shooting for 111g of protein daily.

Yes, I'd suggest cutting your deficit, but if you're ok at 20%, it probably won't hurt you if you are lifting heavy enough. 1960 is only 160 cals more than where you currently are. That's what... 1 serving of peanut butter?
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Following
  • vigvigler
    vigvigler Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    www.quadfit.com
  • footiechick82
    Options
    Ok, I will up my calories to get that extra peanut butter in :laugh: