Eating too much

Options
Hello everyone. So I need some advice. I just started using MFP a couple of weeks ago and am loving it. It has helped me shed a couple of pounds so far. However, I have been going over my calorie intake almost everyday. I feel so hungry all the time and last night I went over board. I finished my dinner then I proceeded to eat my hubby's and my kids left overs. I must have eaten 1000 calories or more just for dinner! It is pretty discouraging and it is really slowing me down. So my question is, how do most of you keep under your calorie goals and still stay satisfied an SANE? I find it very hard to stay under 2000 calories a day. I am exercising almost daily and am nursing but I still eat too much. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• jamiemommy
    jamiemommy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am nearly a month in and have to say I really struggled with hunger at first but it's getting easier. Water is my answer to you...a lot of it. When you feel hungry just start drinking water and then maybe after dinner go for a walk? not a long walk just away from the food, into the garden or something. SO you don't have to smell it or look at it? It's helped me a LOT actually. I think I'm still hungry but after moving around a bit I feel fuller.
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    What kind of foods are you eating? I've noticed that since I've been eating a lot of whole foods, lots of veggies, and lots of protein, that I am rarely hungry anymore.

You'll get the same advice on this board. Open up your diary so we can help. Without knowing, it's hard to say.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If you are nursing you should talk to your doctor about how many calories is enough. Your body may be telling you that you need the nutrition.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Yes... I think its all about the type of foods your eating, and the variety!!!!!

Pick some healthy snacks too : )
  • Ninhydrin
    Ninhydrin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I found the key was to eat more lean protein. It is far more satisfying - keeps you feeling fuller for longer and you can eat more of it because it's lean and often lower in calories than other items. Ultimately you are going to have to learn the difficult art of self restraint though. Every time I want to go crazy I remember how unhappy being fat makes me.

I've never regretted going to the gym, I've never regretted not eating that chocolate bar, but I've regretted the opposites many, many times.
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    it's a struggle at first. Eat a lot of greens, they are low in calories, high in nutrients, and they fill you up. Make sure when you eat a lot of fiber, you also drink TONS of water.
  • foxylady522
    Options
    I would increase protein and water. However, you said that you're nursing. So your calorie intake depends on how much you are nursing. I would probably keep doing what you are for a bit to make sure you don't reduce your supply.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first started, its definitely not easy to drastically decrease the amount of food we eat. Your body notices the difference! I also eat a lot and night (save the bulk of my calories for dinner) so I have definitely done this before...

What is your calorie goal right now? Are you eating back the calories that you are exercising off? If you currently are not, I would start eating them back and that should help.

Also, I would suggest eating protein rich foods, they are supposed to help keep you fuller longer. here is a site that lists foods by protein content, don't know how accurate it is but it might be a good starting point. http://www.howmuchprotein.com/foods/

I eat every few hours in smaller increments. Keep light and healthy snacks around to help control the cravings and you will slowly get used to it!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    What kind of foods are you eating? I've noticed that since I've been eating a lot of whole foods, lots of veggies, and lots of protein, that I am rarely hungry anymore.
    This. If you eat plenty of protein and decent amount of fat with some carbs throw in - whole foods not fake processed stuff - you will probably only feel hungry if you really need food. At least that's been my experience.

I do agree if you're nursing check with your doc first.

On snacking I go the opposite of some people. I don't snack unless I am starving. I tried eating multiple times a day and I just found it made me hungry. Now I eat lunch and dinner, breakfast only if I'm hungry. If I want a little something before lunch I'll have a cup of coffee or tea. That gives you more calories for your real meals. Just depends on what works for you.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Id talk to a doctor since you are nursing. The good people of MFP can only speculate what's is right for your body right now. I think the best thing to do is talk to your doctor and then get in touch with a dietitian.
  • GangreneHeart
    Options
    Here is a calorie calculator for nursing moms

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/breastfeeding_calorie_calculator.htm
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I second asking an expert how much you should be having since you are breast feeding. Other than that, try to make sure you're getting enough fiber and protein.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It gets easier, my biggest goal and hurdle of the day is to not eat after dinner, my solution is to go to bed early
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising and nursing who is to say that 2000 isn't a good number for you right now? You burn about 500 cals/day nursing a newborn. I would talk to your doc. You may be eating at a deficit already with your 2000 cals
  • obiegirl
    obiegirl Posts: 28
    Options
    First of of all, kudos on the weight loss so far. That's awesome! Second, I totally understand the urge to "clean up" leftovers off of the kiddos plates (my husband never actually leaves leftovers, but yet he's never had a weight problem...sigh). I'm still working on it...

But, in the meantime, some thoughts. I would think of it this way - you're a nursing mom. (I was too!) You need calories, as other people have pointed out. You deserve healthy, nutritious food and calories that will nourish your body...not eating stuff that other people didn't want off of their plates. What about a smoothie with fresh fruit? Greek yogurt? Those Stonyfield yogurt tubes, which are awesome frozen? Cutting up some watermelon and having that when you get hungry? An apple with some almond or peanut butter?

Also make sure that you're drinking enough as a nursing mom. I found that was hugely important for me.

Feel free to add me...I'm always looking for people who struggle with similar issues!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight, why do you think you're eating 'too much'?
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    So my question is, how do most of you keep under your calorie goals and still stay satisfied an SANE? I find it very hard to stay under 2000 calories a day. I am exercising almost daily and am nursing but I still eat too much. Any advice would be appreciated.

I try to have some form of lean protein (chicken, tuna, turkey, egg whites, cheese) with every meal/snack.

Water - I am drinking LOADS of it. Sometimes with a sugar free cordial for a sweet hit.

Diet soda - bubbles and sweet.

Herbal flavoured teas and low calorie soups as snacks.
  • redhatorade
    redhatorade Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have had this issue in the past. My solution? Eat more. I have been eating 2000 calories or so per day. I have decreased my carbs to around 125g per day and increased my fat and protein. I have also been lifting heavy. To each his own, but I find this to work for me. I am able to stick with the workouts, eat enough to be satiated and lose weight. Win/win for me.
  • 123buzzzybee
    123buzzzybee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I do drink water all day long but I know I could squeeze in some more. Thanks for your tip! Today was MUCH better!!!
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way - haven't been under 2000 in a while, often eating upwards of 1100 calories at night :( Since you're nursing AND active, though, I definitely agree with everyone else that you should check with a medical professional, since you might actually need those calories!