My hair is falling out

Options
I've never noticed before now, i know when you shower you can loose hair but i am concerned i am loosing too much my hair it is thin to start with so i cant afford to be losing more, my diet consists of 1200 calories a day i always eat back my exercise calories it seems to be working for me but i was wondering weather its a good idea to up them maybe to 1300-1400. I am trying my best to lose 2lbs a week as i have a holiday in 3 months but i am having difficulties with that. Does anyone else eat 1300-1400 and loose 2lb a week? I weigh 11 stone 10lbs at the minute, i am short so i look a lot heavier than i am.

Also does anyone find this happens to them?
I weigh daily and on days i don't exercise i don't loose weight but on the days i exercise i do but i am eating more that day because i eat my exercise calories back. Confusing.

And the past week or so i have been feeling a lot more hungry between meals where as before i only got hungry at mealtimes, i don't know if it is because i have started eating breakfast, when i have breakfast i am really hungry 2 hours later

Replies

• ashluv2sing
    ashluv2sing Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You might have an iron deficiency. When i was younger i was having a hair loss problem and it turned out to be an iron deficiency. YOu might want to go get checked out by a doctor.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Eating as many calories as you do, I say it may not be related to your diet at all...that said, garlic oil, however smelly, is great for shedding hair....
    you may want to add biotin to your diet regimine if you have one...

try laying off shampoo for a while ( just using conditioner to wash your hair)
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If my hair was falling out that much I would probably go to the doctor. It could be malnourishment, without knowing what you're eating I can't really say, but there are medical reasons for things like that too. At the very least, your doctor could probably tell you what to fix in your diet better than we can (or send you to a dietician).
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    There are so many possible reasons for increased hair-loss. IF it's diet related, you might not be getting all of the micro nutrients you need to keep your body running at optimal. Anyone on 1200 a day needs to be very mindful of eating foods with the right amounts of necessary vitamins and minerals.

Still, it could be anything. See your doctor since no one on this website will be able to accurately diagnose you.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    With hair loss it's always a good idea to check with your doctor. It could be a vitamin deficiency or thyroid problem, etc.

That said, your diary is closed so it's hard to see what you might be doing wrong. Are you getting enough fats in your diet?
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor. I'm type I diabetic, and way before I figured it out, I was experiencing hair loss and hunger. When I finally ended up almost dead in the hospital, I looked back and saw all the warning signs and felt like an idiot for going so long.

It's hopefully nothing serious, but hair loss is a sign that something is stressing your body big time. Could be just a deficiency of some kind, but it's best to get checked out.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Eating as many calories as you do, I say it may not be related to your diet at all...that said, garlic oil, however smelly, is great for shedding hair....
    you may want to add biotin to your diet regimine if you have one...

try laying off shampoo for a while ( just using conditioner to wash your hair)

Or any oil, fat is great for your hair.
    Without knowing what you are eating or you macros/micros it's hard to give advice.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Get more iron and FOLATE in your diet, these are essential for women
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I've been a part of many dieting/nutrition forums and this comes up a lot-the consensus is that a low fat diet can cause some major hair loss. Make sure you're getting in enough good fats.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Could easily be a fungal infection. No dietary supplement is going to fix that - but using a shampoo with ketoconazole in it would.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein! As well, there are supplements. I've also started using a strengthening or long lengths shampoo. I'm growing my hair; it's pretty long now and definitely less breakage. Use a natural bristle hair brush, and sleep on a satin pillow case (I've been doing this for the last month & my hair is much less tangled in the mornings and therefore easier to brush through).
  • LenaCara
    LenaCara Posts: 8
    Options
    I lost a bunch of hair and it ended up being a tyroid condition. I never would have known if my doctor hadn't checked it at my physical but I had already lost quite a bit by then. Once my hormones leveled out, it kept falling out, way slower but more than normal. I ended up talking to a pharmacists and he recommended a prenatal prescription from my doctor. It’s the only ones that have 1mg of folic acid. Once I started taking those, the hair loss stopped in a bout 2 weeks.
  • LenaCara
    LenaCara Posts: 8
    Options
    As a side note, the pharmacist told me that the bacteria in our gut produce folic acid as a waste product when digesting fats. If you have a low fat diet and aren’t feeding your bacteria, there is even less folic acid in your system. This came up because I tried Atkins and my hair stopped falling out. I went to him to fid a fat supplements knowing it was ridiculous but ended up with a surprising answer.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Unless you are willing to risk baldness, go see your doctor.
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    As you can see from the responses, it literally could be anything. Could be low iron - but if you take an iron supplement when you don't need one, you can do more harm than good. Could be that your diet doesn't have enough nutrients, especially if you've recently made a big change to eat fewer calories. Could be a hormonal deficiency, could be stress, could be so many things.

Best thing to do would be bring your food diary to your doc, order the necessary tests and listen to him/her first and foremost.
  • Ericav05
    Ericav05 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem at one point... I upped my calories, increased my protein, take in most of my carbs with fruits and vegetables (vegetarian), and started taking multivitamins. Now I feel great. I would say up your calories to 1400, you're probably not getting the nutrients you need.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    My mom lost her hair on a diet too when she cut out all the fat. So watch your fat. But I definitely agree with going to the Dr and getting a blood test to check if you have a vitamin deficiency as well.

Hair loss can be a symptom of many things.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing Telogen Effluvium ( diffuse hair shedding). In the beginning of February I had a really bad virus, followed by a really bad drug interaction. Between the febrile illness ( virus with a high temp), and the stress of the medication interaction...it was enough to cause this hair loss. I have had hair loss daily, but no "bald" spots. I am also at the end of the phase, so it is winding down, and have a ton of new growth.

To the OP--as the others have posted, get checked out by your Dr. for thyroid and other deficiencies. But check out this link, it's rather interesting!
    http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1071566-overview
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Are you stressed????

Eat lots of green dark veggies, steak, fish, liver

Lots of iron and protein food

Some people even do a egg and olive oil hair mask's as it puts all minerals into your hair....google it

Ps.....go to your doctor
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, excessive hair loss is always an indicator that you first need to go see your doctor. Get tests, talk about your diet, find out possible underlying causes. If it turns out to be from stress and does not have a medical cause, discuss with your doctor how to manage that and what precautions you should be taking. Then at that point you can look into doing some extra recommendations from the internet, if you would like.

I'd also like to add that this same thing applies to women not getting a period. Go see your doctor.