how sore is too sore?

Options
Yukongil
Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
So Monday I started Stronglifts, since I lucked into a free gym membership thru my work. Followed the beginners instructions, since its been several months since I last lifted anything, least of all a honest to god really real weight. And now I am sore, still sore, like I have to ponder if stepping up onto a curb is worth it sore and every time I have to go to the bathroom and not to make water, I have to weigh the pain and awkwardness of having to sit and get up against how much I really have to go sore.

Now while it's been awhile since I lifted, I sure as heck don't remember ever being this sore before and it is still there today, so much so that I had to skip going to the gym this morning as I know I couldn't do a squat if the lives of an orphanage of Angelina Jolie Clones and puppies was at stake.

Fortunately I had a doctor's appointment yesterday and asked him about it and he suggested I might be dehydrated, and that could very well be, I don't drink enough water anymore, but I would never have imagined that it could lead to this sort of long lasting pain.

So anyways, should this workout make me so sore I can't move for several days? Should I just stop being a lady-part and deal, or is there a more serious reason behind it?

Also, any suggestions on what to do for sore muscles would be greatly appreciated, and yes I am drinking more water as my doc told me I have several other symptoms of dehydration and complications resulting from that, but that just started yesterday afternoon so I suspect that it will take a few more days before that rights itself.

Thanks!

Replies

• tn_thompson
    tn_thompson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A couple of things I'd say. I've had dehydration issues off and on over the years, and aside from cramping and a killer headache, have never experienced what I'd call muscle soreness from dehydration. This is not to say that you weren't dehydrated, but that you probably had more than one thing going on at the same time. If you're too sore to work out again on the next planned session, you are probably starting off training too hard and may want to dial it back a bit, nothing wrong with doing this, as you'll get back to the weights you're moving again, and be better for it in the long run. Taking steps to help shorten recovery time, safely, will help with more normal levels of soreness. Make sure you're diet is allowing you enough protein to rebuild your muscle fibers, if you feel like you're getting enough, talk to your doctor and/or a nutritionist about your diet, your desired workout program, etc. They should be able to help guide you in the right direction.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I just did a week break/deload after 3 months of training and it felt like a train hit me Monday. I'm still sore as hell, but, I know I can squat even thought I feel like I can't. This is normal. It'll be pretty much nonexistent in a week or two. Suck it up and go to the gym tonight. Id bet that after some warmup sets you're just fine.

To answer your question more directly.... Nothing is too sore... I'm only worried if I think its an actual injury, in which case, I dont do anything that agitates it.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hydration is a must obviously. I have a huge problem with soreness no matter how much I drink though. It has helped me to warm up my muscles a little before lifting with a quick 10 minute jog. (Or you can walk.) Then immediately after I finish my lifts I go to the mats and STRETCH. Also if the soreness is really bad later on I take an easy slow walk to work some of the acid out of my muscles. Hope this helps.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Is the soreness more a matter of stiffness or is there discomfort/pain when you touch the sore areas? Generally soreness is correlated with inflammation. The intensity of which is dependent on how many reps/how heavy the weight you're doing.

Your body will eventually adapt and be able to recover so that the soreness isn't as pronounced (if at all). And anytime you increase weight or reps significantly, you may experience soreness again.

In the meanwhile, here are some anecdotal remedies that may help: foam rolling before and after a workout, static stretching after a workout, hot bath/shower (with or without epsom salt) after a workout, massages on your rest days, supplements (anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen, BCAAs, Citruline Malite).

Believe it or not, but sometimes some light exercise can help alleviate the soreness as well. A slow walk on a treadmill, of which you gradually increase the speed to a fast walk or slow trot.

Hope this is of some help. Try to keep with the program and you should see the soreness issue begin to diminish.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    there is pain when I touch the areas, not just stiffness.

as to deloading, I don't think I can do that anymore, as I'm just using the bar.

I had been doing 10 min. on the elliptical or bike before hitting the weights, but I guess some stretches might help too.

thinking on it some more, I am diabetic and one of the diseases complications is slow healing rates. Weight lifting is basically just breaking down the muscles to build them back up bigger and stronger, which is where some of the soreness comes from (educated guess). Could my slower healing times be aggravating or prolonging this soreness? Don't really expect anyone to know the answer, more of just a random musing.

But thanks for the help and info, I'm going to try and do something tonight if not in the morning.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    you just started... it will hurt for a week or so... the above posters suggestions to alleviate during this time fram are good suggestions..