High 5 to the working parents losing weight

Options
Inshape13
Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
I started changing my lifestyle over a year ago and now that the kids are out of school it is getting way harder to get in the gym time so I have to give a huge pat on the back to those of you that find a way to work a million hours, raise kids and lose the weight at the same time. I work from home part time so I have the flexibility, but you all are truly inspiring who juggle it all and still find time for exercise and meal planning. Great job!

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I will accept any praise given, but it's not really a choice. This is how we live our lives!
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    High 5 back at ya!!! I work but not enough right now. Wish I had more hours, my kids wish I had none...LOL My oldest is finally able to watch her younger sister for an hour or two at a time now. Any more and there may be problems. I live in a close community where family and friends can check on them from time to time if I'm running late. Agree with MostlyWater! Its how you have to live your life. You have to do what you can and hope it is the best for you and your kids.
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Yup ditto!
    I believe that if I can not take care of myself properly, how can I expect to take care of my kids and family as well. :smile:
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it high 5 to you too! I work 8.5 hours a day and commute 45 mins to work and in the evening when I pick up my kids it takes us a full 1.5 hours to get home. Still gotta take care of them (5 and 8 months) dinner my house and workout. It is exhausting but it makes you really love the weekends!! Well Sunday anyway. I usually spend Saturday deep cleaning my house since I don't have another opportunity. Gotta love being the mama and the bread winner!
  • TheSteelerGirl
    Options
    Thank you.. It took me until my kids were older to realize that I derserved some "me" time and I decided to make it my priority to take that time and spend it in the gym. Now 83 lbs lighter... I am a much happier mom and they are glad that I did take time for me..and I will continue to do this forever. :smile:
  • smesche
    smesche Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it high 5 to you too! I work 8.5 hours a day and commute 45 mins to work and in the evening when I pick up my kids it takes us a full 1.5 hours to get home. Still gotta take care of them (5 and 8 months) dinner my house and workout. It is exhausting but it makes you really love the weekends!! Well Sunday anyway. I usually spend Saturday deep cleaning my house since I don't have another opportunity. Gotta love being the mama and the bread winner!

I only have 1 kid (2 year old boy) and I do all of the above. I could not imagine throwing in a second child! Kudos to you! :drinker:
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Thanks. It's not easy.....

but its a choice I/We have made.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    You can find cheap exercise equipment on Craigslist sometimes. That way you can just workout at home when the kids are in bed.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    2012_05_01_archive.html

Thanks! great job to you too. :smile:
  • dherrmanmom2013
    Options
    Thanks for the high five, and a high five back to you! I work full time and have three very small kids. It's not easy to do it all, but my husband is on the journey with me (and he sets his own work hours for the most part) so he takes care of the meal part for us. So here's to keep on keepin' on...
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It's hard to find the time - I work full time and am out the house between 7am and earliest 5pm, have a 7 year old daughter and am studying for a degree BUT in the last 6 months I have MADE TIME for me. It usually involves pushing other things to the side OR using my good old multi-tasking skills (for example I often jog to the park alongside daughter on her bike then study whilst she plays and we jog/cycle back :D).

If we can do it, the're no excuses for others ;)

*high fives back*
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options

I can SOOO relate to this - like I wrote it myself!!
  • Amyy1982
    Amyy1982 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Why thank you!! I workout first thing in the morning or just before bedtime and workout at home which makes it a lot easier ... it's hard at times but we gotta make it work!

And congrats to you too!! :flowerforyou:
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks! High 5 to you too :drinker:

I work a regular job part time, and I help my husband run his trucking business. We have two small boys. If I didn't have the extra energy from working out and eating better I don't think I'd be able to do it.

I run after the kids go to bed in the evening. It's about the only time I can fit it in.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    But not for me? Here's your five back, sorry I horned in on your kudos for working mom's thread.

*sadzface*
  • renrutb
    renrutb Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks! High 5 back at ya! I wake up at 3:45 am to get my workout in. I'm a single momma and am away from the house 11 hours a day for daycare/work/commute. My evenings are for playing with the kiddo, cooking dinner, packing our lunches, etc. so mornings are my "me" time. I've noticed a positive change in my personality since eating right and exercising. People around me reap benefits of a happier me too. :smile:

Keep on truckin' folks!
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    HIGH FIVE to every working parent! Its hard to find the balance. I have a stay at home daddy so i'm not rushing after work to get my son, but leave the house at 7am and don't leave to come home until 6:30PM most nights. I work 45 min away so by the time i get home its almost time for the kiddo to be in bed. I hate feeling like a horrible parent and wife by taking time away from my son and having my husband stay at home with him longer. Right now it is also one of the biggest arguments that my husband and i have is my ME TIME. I work a high stress job and he seems to think that just because i'm out of the house away from my crazy 4 year old son that i'm kicking my feet up and eating bon bons all day and i don't do anything. He just sees it as me getting home later and more time he has to be at home with the kiddo (he also has combat related PTSD that makes a 4 year old that much harder to deal with). Being a working parent is HARD!!! We deserve our high fives people!
  • MissKais0912
    Options
    *high fives myself* wooo! :wink:
  • info_nrs
    info_nrs Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yup ditto!
    I believe that if I can not take care of myself properly, how can I expect to take care of my kids and family as well. :smile:

Thanks and high five back to everyone on this post and all parents everywhere trying to live better. I had to quote this response because this takes a LOT of soul-searching to realize that you aren't being selfish being active and working out, you are caring for your ENTIRE family by living a better healthy lifestyle!
    Keep it up everyone (and I was going to say 'ladies', but I know there men out there doing the same thing!! :flowerforyou: )
  • IrritatedDoro
    IrritatedDoro Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    :)

I'm fairly new to this motherhood thing (my son turned 1 today). He is my motivation - as he becomes more active, I want to be able to play with him like a younger parent would. I am 41 and quickly approaching 42.

It is easy right now, because I can "corral" him while I ride the exercise bike or can push him in the stroller while I'm out for a walk. This morning I worked out before I left for work when he was still sleeping, and I've also worked out after he has gone to bed.

I am married, but my husband works an opposite schedule from me so I get to experience a very minor taste of the single parent thing. (I work a regular workweek. He works Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights from 5 pm to around 3:30 am so between sleep and work, we don't see him much those days.) Although I admire all parents that seek to set a good example for their kids - I really admire single parents, who work full time, and are actively finding the time to also monitor their weight, food, and exercise.

We can also remember that we all have our journeys and all of us have our challenges.