Attn: Sports Fans

Options
LMT2012
LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
Can anyone articulate for me, in a way we've not heard, why professional sports are soooo fascinating? Love to hear from men and women, lovers and haters of any and all sports. What draws you in or repels you about this fixture in our human experience?
Live sport is one thing. There's the crowd, the drinks, the fun outing. But why does one follow teams and tournaments obsessively? Genuine question....

Replies

• nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options
    Whats Not to Love :love: :love:
    The way the Crowd Gets all revved up.
    The Way all the players Look in their uniforms.
    The Athletisism.
    The Muscles.
    The Sweating.
    The swift movements. Fast :love:
    The Comrodery (or however ya spell it) The feeling of fitting in and belonging to something.
    The Food we are treated to, The Respect we receive. The Respect that's Given.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    because I played football and baseball both at very very high levels and I can appreciate the competition aspect of both.. I'm a hometown guy and always cheer on my teams. I have intimate knowledge of football especially, so that's my main sport to watch.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    In New England you grow up watching and playing sports. It's in our blood haha
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    In New England you grow up watching and playing sports. It's in our blood haha

Hi. I'm pretty sure we'd say the same about Chicago/Midwest, as many other areas. I did grow up in a family of men who were somewhat athletic, but not sport "watchers", which i now recognize as really strange lol.
    Congrats on your weight loss success!:drinker:
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    What else is there to do in Nebraska? I don't really care for pro basketball, because it's not what it used to be 15-20 years ago. But I follow the teams I grew up with loyally.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I DO LOVE sports, and do watch pro football & some baseball if the Braves are playing. However, I myself prefer collegiate athletics when it comes to football, baseball & softball (my daughter will be playing collegiate softball this fall!) Though they do have some monetary benefits of playing from their scholarships, I feel in college the kids are playing more for pride and for the TEAM as a whole, and not for the money, fame or the name on the back of their jersey. Then of course you have your non-traditional sports I love like the X-games, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Cross Fit games, Strong Man comps, Ninja Warrior comps, etc....oh and the Olympics!

also 1000% of what @ Nope31 said!!!
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Camaraderie with the other fans, it's like having a second family when you walk into your team's stadium on game day and are surrounded by thousands of like-minded individuals
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    It's one of the few events that people just get along if they are for the same team. The rich, the poor, the athletic, the non athletic, male, female, adult, kid, gay, straight................etc. Fans adore teams and players and many like myself look forward to games. And why? Because it makes us feel good.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Dr_Flo
    Dr_Flo Posts: 465
    Options
    Entertainment.. plain and simple.

We enjoy watching a team that we know, players that we've gotten to know and all the trials that come with a professional season.

There's no great mystery... its fun, its entertaining and it brings people together.

...the end.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i love competition and i love seeing humans being pushed to their limits.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    The same with anything else. It's amusing and fun.
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Hot men in tight pants?
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    take usain bolt for example...to think of all the work he puts into training...and to know his competitors are doing the same and then to see him dominate...is truly amazing.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    It is the first and ultimate reality show. There are no scripts written, there are no preoccupied ideas of what will happen, anything is possible. Underdogs will always be there to pull off the surprise upset, games will come down to the wire leaving us on our seats, fans will live and die with their teams every step, the emotion of the players show through knowing their hard work has either paid off or come up short to another.

It is something that most of us have played at some point, we can relate, we can pretend to be the superstar when we go out for a pick up game in the back yard. We recognize the stories of the athletes,how they got there, where they came from, what obstacles they overcame. Competition drives us all in some way, sports signifies that competition and gives an opportunity to watch the greatest of competitors.
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Can anyone articulate for me, in a way we've not heard, why professional sports are soooo fascinating? Love to hear from men and women, lovers and haters of any and all sports. What draws you in or repels you about this fixture in our human experience?
    Live sport is one thing. There's the crowd, the drinks, the fun outing. But why does one follow teams and tournaments obsessively? Genuine question....

Try not to look too hard into it. Its all for fun! GO CHARGERS!! GO PADRES!!!!!:heart:
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    It is the first and ultimate reality show. There are no scripts written, there are no preoccupied ideas of what will happen, anything is possible. Underdogs will always be there to pull off the surprise upset, games will come down to the wire leaving us on our seats, fans will live and die with their teams every step, the emotion of the players show through knowing their hard work has either paid off or come up short to another.

It is something that most of us have played at some point, we can relate, we can pretend to be the superstar when we go out for a pick up game in the back yard. We recognize the stories of the athletes,how they got there, where they came from, what obstacles they overcame. Competition drives us all in some way, sports signifies that competition and gives an opportunity to watch the greatest of competitors.
    VERY WELL PUT! :smile:
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    But why does one follow teams and tournaments obsessively?

a big reason is gambling.
  • gabbylab
    gabbylab Posts: 146
    Options
    But why does one follow teams and tournaments obsessively?

a big reason is gambling.

I agree, the gambling and the competition. Watching the mistakes or big plays that change the game, rooting for your favorite player. We are all huge Basketball and Football fans in this house. And we don't all like the same teams which makes for a fun night at times :drinker: :wink: :explode:
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    When it comes to atmosphere, college sports beats pro sports by a mile. Doesn't even compare. There's certain things that I like about pro sports (baseball and football in particular) but it's not something I get all worked up about if my pro team is winning or losing. Find pro sports to be more of a big time social event.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    When it comes to atmosphere, college sports beats pro sports by a mile. Doesn't even compare. There's certain things that I like about pro sports (baseball and football in particular) but it's not something I get all worked up about if my pro team is winning or losing. Find pro sports to be more of a big time social event.

i see it as the opposite. its the college games that are more focused on the tailgating, community, socializing etc...