Losing weight/toning stomach area

Options
I've lost 43 pounds total (lost about 30 prior to using MFP) and now I'm aiming to lose the last 10 lbs. However, I'm getting frustrated because I'm really happy with where my arms and legs are, but not my stomach. Whenever I lost weight in the past I would easily gain a flat stomach and maintain Jennifer Lopez type curves. This time around, I absolutely cannot get my stomach to budge- so frustrating!!

Here is an idea of my workout routine:

walking 2 miles, 6 times a week
kick boxing, 1 hour, once a week
Abs class, 2 hours a week
zumba, 1 hour, once a week
elliptical, 2 hours per week

Any advice on how I should alter my workout schedule? Or any foods that I should eat/avoid to help out the stomach area? I feel like I'm completely losing my curves and it's getting very discouraging.

Oh and I also try to net about 1200-1300 calories a day, with one cheat day on the weekends.

Replies

• lnjnyc
    lnjnyc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    BUMP- please help =)=)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    You're practically just doing all cardio which doesn't help retain lean muscle while on calorie deficit. Also, when you say in the past, then chalk up part of the changes to age. Get some resistance training in.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lnjnyc
    Options
    Should I add more resistance in addition to the cardio? Or swap out some cardio for resistance?
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Swap out some cardio for resistance/weight training. You're doing a ton of cardio.

FWIW, I have the flattest stomach I've ever had (and I have a kid now). I only weigh 4 lbs less than my previous "skinny" weight. I really believe it's the strength training.

edit: my stomach isn't amazing or anything, but it is the best it's ever been.
  • lnjnyc
    Options
    thank you!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    I store most of my fat in my stomach and I have abs. Reasonable calorie deficit and 5 days of strength training with less than an hour of cardio a week.
  • lnjnyc
    Options
    Thank you! Any particular exercises you recommend?
  • msukert1
    msukert1 Posts: 1
    Options
    What I find helps is basically a lot of sit ups, push ups, mountain climbers. Do a minute circling through those three exercises and rest for 15 seconds repeat about 9 other times. Pull ups also really work your core.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Mix up your workouts try doing some circuit training a few days a week . The tummy area is the hardest to lose .
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Any particular exercises you recommend?

This is where I started: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lee-labrada-12-week-lean-body-trainer.html
  • lnjnyc
    Options
    Thank you all! Really appreciate the feedback =)