Why am I so heavy ?

Options
Can someone please explain this to me
I am currently around 160 pounds, this is my consistent weight for quite some time now. But when I look at myself/see pictures I feel like I don't look this heavy compared to pictures of people I've seen who are claiming well below 140 and i'm pretty sure I look smaller than them, i'm not really sure what someone who weighs 160 and around my height looks like, So either i'm weirdly heavy and don't look it or other people are lying or something else but i'm confused.

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I think you should just focus on you. Stop comparing yourself to other people.
  • Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Lean body mass, that's all I can say.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I don't look like i have my current weight either, but it has to be because of lean muscle, i am stronger than many (not to say most) women my age at my gym and i lift weigths so it makes sense.
  • sekhmet13
    sekhmet13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Go to http://www.mybodygallery.com/ and you can see what other real people look like. It's helped me (I have the opposite problem, I think I'm smaller than I really am)
  • kavanaghev
    kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My mom and I are about the same height, wear the same size clothes, and I weigh 20-30 pounds more than she does. It's LBM, I guess, and probably mostly in our legs as I have a bigger butt and thighs than she does.
  • Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't look like i have my current weight either, but it has to be because of lean muscle, i am stronger than many (not to say most) women my age at my gym and i lift weigths so it makes sense.

Exactly :)
  • rhia575
    rhia575 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My mom and I are about the same height, wear the same size clothes, and I weigh 20-30 pounds more than she does. It's LBM, I guess, and probably mostly in our legs as I have a bigger butt and thighs than she does.

Okay thanks, yeah it is probably this i squat a lot and cycle so i guess thats it
  • rhia575
    rhia575 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • sjgruning
    sjgruning Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree with a previous post, it is how YOU feel and how YOU want to look. I am "middle aged" now with a growing "middle". I would not say I am over weight.....yet. When I bring up MFP, I hear but your look great, you are thin, but it is how I wear my clothes and how I feel. I do want to drop some pounds, become more active in yoga and some other activities, and don't want to wait until it is out of control. My goals will not be the same as anyone else's. Nor will I compare myself to anyone else.

The fact that you are on this forum says a lot right there. You are committed to making a change! This is awesome for you! You need to set your goals on what you want to achieve and then go for it. Keep us updated!
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    prolly have a huge *kitten*
  • cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have learned that everyone carries their weight differently. You can't really compare yourself to other people.
  • nrz242
    nrz242 Posts: 76
    Options
    I think it also largely depends on the individual -how their weight is distributed and their frame size. My boyfriend is supposed to weigh 165 for his height but looks skeletal at that weight and only got that low because his thyroid was trying to eat him alive. He didn't look normal or healthy again until about 190 which really did help me see that their is no universal "standard" for weight - its all your individual body chemistry.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    My mom and I weight the same at the moment. Our bodies types are very similar (skeletal/height/fat distribution). Age aside, she and I look nothing alike because of the difference in our BF %. I have WAY more lean mass than she does (I do weight training, she does not). I wear size 10-12 pants right now while she's wearing size 14 - 16. This might be what you're seeing.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    My mother and I wear the same clothes and I'm 40 lbs heavier than she is (and only 3 inches taller). She's restricted from doing most activities due to arthritis everywhere and fractured vertebrae, whereas I get a fair amount of exercise.
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Height really makes a difference, too, when you're looking at pictures of other people/their weight. I'm 5'10" and your 160ish pounds would look significantly different on me than it would on someone who was 5'5".
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    Some people can just hide their weight better than others. Like others have said, focus on you girl, no one else :flowerforyou:
  • cnwest423
    cnwest423 Posts: 2
    Options
    i do know that muscle is heavier than fat, if you strength train it can make you leaner, but weigh more. this is what my dr. told me. so i dont complain anymore because i work out and run so i have toned up but built muscle...this could be the same for you!