Wheat, breads, grains and oats

Options
I keep hearing different stories about them - that they're bad for you, even in whole wheat form or whole grain, but then I hear that that is bull**** and not to listen to those people who say it's bad for you and just to try and keep it in moderation and not overdo it. But I know we need good carbs to function and have long lasting energy, and you can make a healthy sandwich with lean cuts of meat or eggs, or other forms of healthy protein and fats. And the talk about hidden sugars and hidden calorie sugars in breads and grains and to multiply by 4 and that will give you the real number of what you're eating when you have bread and stuff. Something like that anyways....sorry..I suck at explaining things.

I love having a nice tuna sandwich on whole wheat/grain bread with laughing cow cheese spreads....that's what I'm planning for today's lunch. I had that yesterday as well.....and I hate having bread too many times throughout the week, but there isn't anything else to have in the house right now and I am currently unable to go to the grocery store to pick up something I can have without bread. I have eggs and a real nice wild grain rice with nothing added into it called 7 grain medley, but have nothing else to go with it like veggies.

Maybe a nice whole wheat English muffin with eggs and laughing cow since the English muffin is lower in carbs and stuff....What I was planning on was Country Harvest 100% whole grain Stone Milled wheat sandwich bread.

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I keep my carbs to 25g a day (maybe up to 35g) and I function just fine. Most people can eat grains and be fine and I think that's great.

Sandwiches are tasty.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing different stories about them - that they're bad for you, even in whole wheat form or whole grain, but then I hear that that is bull**** and not to listen to those people who say it's bad for you and just to try and keep it in moderation and not overdo it. But I know we need good carbs to function and have long lasting energy, and you can make a healthy sandwich with lean cuts of meat or eggs, or other forms of healthy protein and fats. And the talk about hidden sugars and hidden calorie sugars in breads and grains and to multiply by 4 and that will give you the real number of what you're eating when you have bread and stuff. Something like that anyways....sorry..I suck at explaining things.

I love having a nice tuna sandwich on whole wheat/grain bread with laughing cow cheese spreads....that's what I'm planning for today's lunch. I had that yesterday as well.....and I hate having bread too many times throughout the week, but there isn't anything else to have in the house right now and I am currently unable to go to the grocery store to pick up something I can have without bread. I have eggs and a real nice wild grain rice with nothing added into it called 7 grain medley, but have nothing else to go with it like veggies.

Maybe a nice whole wheat English muffin with eggs and laughing cow since the English muffin is lower in carbs and stuff....What I was planning on was Country Harvest 100% whole grain Stone Milled wheat sandwich bread.

You should prob do your own research, you're about to hear a lot of arguing lol.

One carb is 4 calories, period.
  • albaehr
    albaehr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    moderation on everything, pick a diet plan you can stick to and soon it becomes a habit, I eat whole grains and am doing fine :)
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options

You should prob do your own research, you're about to hear a lot of arguing lol.

Agree-you'll get a hundred different answers to this one lol.

For me personally, after doing some research on it and also listening to cues that my body was giving me (aka mega bloat after eating wheat), I cut out most wheat and grains a couple months ago. Don't miss them at all and I feel better. But, if I didn't have issues with bloating I wouldn't have cut them out-so it's an individual thing. I do think there's some good points made against wheat in the book Wheat Belly, by Dr. William Davis, but I think he goes a bit too far. Though, cutting wheat out has helped me so who knows lol. I don't eat oats just because I don't like them. I still eat rice maybe twice a month. As for carbs-I'm still eating over 100 carbs a day, just not from grains :)

eta: I've found that I can eat small amounts of wheat/flour and not have issues (like a handful of pretzels, two cookies, one cupcake etc), but it's the larger amounts of it that triggers the bloating-after eating a sandwich for the first time in months last weekend (an Arby's roast beef sandwich), I bloated so bad I couldn't button my jeans-crazy! It went away the next day, but the bigger amounts of wheat really do a number on my stomach.
  • recover_healthy_fit
    recover_healthy_fit Posts: 209 Member
    Options

Agree-you'll get a hundred different answers to this one lol.

For me personally, after doing some research on it and also listening to cues that my body was giving me (aka mega bloat after eating wheat), I cut out most wheat and grains a couple months ago. Don't miss them at all and I feel better. But, if I didn't have issues with bloating I wouldn't have cut them out-so it's an individual thing. I do think there's some good points made against wheat in the book Wheat Belly, by Dr. William Davis, but I think he goes a bit too far. Though, cutting wheat out has helped me so who knows lol. I don't eat oats just because I don't like them. I still eat rice maybe twice a month. As for carbs-I'm still eating over 100 carbs a day, just not from grains :)

eta: I've found that I can eat small amounts of wheat/flour and not have issues (like a handful of pretzels, two cookies, one cupcake etc), but it's the larger amounts of it that triggers the bloating-after eating a sandwich for the first time last weekend (an Arby's roast beef sandwich), I bloated so bad I couldn't button my jeans-crazy! It went away the next day, but the bigger amounts of wheat really do a number on my stomach.

I get bloated or get a "food baby" with everything I eat...some make it worse than others, but then it goes away eventually. I think I'm just going to try and listen to how my body feels and if I feel weird (which I do now that I think about it...) I'll eat bread and grains when I feel I need to for energy.

Maybe tomorrow I will try to get a nice big salad with an omelette and veggies. that sounds good to me.. lol
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options

I have done my own, and that's why I'm here...because I keep hearing different stories about it and wanted to hear what people experienced here...
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I can't tell if you're asking something but........ I eat between 200-300 grams of carbs per day. I love fruit, veggies, bread, muffins, crackers, etc. :smile:
  • ruthmel1
    ruthmel1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I've been on and off with the wheat, grains. I ate the PAleo way and lost loads of weight, felt great but then had a period of intense stress and lost my way and started eating rubbish again. Personally I find wheat makes me feel ill and oats are even worse. I'm trying to cut sugar out and eat 50-100g carbs to loose weight again. I read all the arguments for and against and at the end of the day its an individual thing. I think wheat causes terrible harm but someone else will disagree so do what feel right for you. try grain free and see if it makes you feel well.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

They are bad for people who have intolerances to them and other medical reasons that require limiting them, otherwise they are perfectly fine. Whole grains aren't all they're cracked up to be though
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    But I know we need good carbs to function and have long lasting energy, and you can make a healthy sandwich with lean cuts of meat or eggs, or other forms of healthy protein and fats.
    The people who are advising no grains are advocating it because they believe grains can be harmful to your digestive system because of various irritants. It's not all about low carb and it has nothing to do with whole wheat versus regular wheat.

You can eat potatoes or other starchy tubers and vegetables for carbs if you cut out grains and rice is also considered a more or less safe choice in moderation. That said, whether you want to cut out grains is of course entirely up to you. There are competing theories on this topic and their advocates are quite vocal :)
  • Monica_SanDiego
    Monica_SanDiego Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I read Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis (saw him on Dr Oz) and think it's all pseudoscience to make people buy books. Just go by your macros and don't go over your cards in one day. By tracking my food, I see that I over eat carbs and under eat protein .. so tracking is key ;-)

The best advice that I ever heard from a fitness person, was "If it fits in your macros - eat it!".

Monica.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I can't tell if you're asking something but........ I eat between 200-300 grams of carbs per day. I love fruit, veggies, bread, muffins, crackers, etc. :smile:

And I do best on 20-30. We're all different. I'd listen to your own body.
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options
    I will have my sandwich today and see how I feel after it. I always have oatmeal or oat bran in the mornings, but try not go up to a half cup...a little bit less. I just make it more in volume by adding liquid egg whites into it and or fruit and let it sit a little bit to expand. Makes it look more than it actually is. I love it. lol
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options

They are bad for people who have intolerances to them and other medical reasons that require limiting them, otherwise they are perfectly fine. Whole grains aren't all they're cracked up to be though

what's wrong with whole grains? I know it's a lot better than the white bleached options..lol
  • blackgirlfit
    blackgirlfit Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    it all depends on your body type and macros. some people can eat endless amounts of bread, wheat, grains etc and not store any fat. other people have issues with insulin and sugar spikes (like me) and i tend to store all the fat even tho im exercising. I try not to take it out my diet completely, but when i do eat them i usually stick to brown rice and plain oatmeal.

i cant do bread or pasta anymore.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

what's wrong with whole grains? I know it's a lot better than the white bleached options..lol

That it's questionable if they actually are "a lot better" than refined grains
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't think grains are evil. Some of them are packed with nutrients, like quinoa. I think the only real (legitimate) issue with them is that they can spike your blood glucose levels. For some people, like me, this means even in small doses. If you don't have problems regulating your blood sugar, I'd say eat them in moderation. And make sure the kinds you eat have plenty of fiber to make it nutritionally worthwhile.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I don't think grains are evil. Some of them are packed with nutrients, like quinoa. I think the only real (legitimate) issue with them is that they can spike your blood glucose levels. For some people, like me, this means even in small doses. If you don't have problems regulating your blood sugar, I'd say eat them in moderation. And make sure the kinds you eat have plenty of fiber to make it nutritionally worthwhile.

FYI: quinoa's a seed, not a grain
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    When anyone attempts to demonize some food or food group or macro-nutrient...that's when I know they're full of ****. I eat oatmeal 5 out of 7 mornings, I eat a sammich 3-4 times per week, I eat white flour tortillas at least once per week (I like ****ing burritos), I eat rice, I eat barley (beef and barley soup rocks) and I'm just fine. I'm about 40 Lbs down from where I started and have gone from very, very, very bad blood work...pre-diabetic, triglycerides through the roof, high LDL, low HDL, etc to being perfectly normal...all while eating grains and ****.

Just get your nutrition on, then get your fitness on...it's all about good livin' If you don't have an allergy or other medical condition, I wouldn't put a whole lot of worry into it.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    -I get bloated or get a "food baby" with everything I eat...some make it worse than others, but then it goes away eventually. I think I'm just going to try and listen to how my body feels and if I feel weird (which I do now that I think about it...) I'll eat bread and grains when I feel I need to for energy.

Maybe tomorrow I will try to get a nice big salad with an omelette and veggies. that sounds good to me.. lol -

My husband and I used to joke about our food babies-sigh, lol. He gets it worse than I do and has other symptoms, along with a family history of celiac, that makes me think he's got some serious gluten intolerance issues but he won't get tested, so I just focus on me and figure he'll become interested in looking into it at some point (I hope!).