What was your first attempt at weigtloss?

Options
I remember when I was 12 I took mini thins to lose weight. I don't remember if I lost weight but I do remember my heart racing.

Replies

• sweetn3ss
    sweetn3ss Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    My mom put me on Jenny Craig when I was 13. They said that I lost 7 lbs then after my weigh in they put something back on the scale. I walked back to it stood on it and said "Weigh Me" there response was we just did and we only do 1 weigh in per visit. I ended up weighing myself and I gained 3 lbs,
  • Jamie_V
    Jamie_V Posts: 26
    Options
    When I was 8, I tried a "bread and water" diet--not quite sure how I came up with that. After that didn't work, I moved on to trying not to eat sweets, then trying not to eat at all.....turns out I'm not good at deliberate starvation, LOL. Then came the teen years and the Dexatrim, mini thins, and various other pills, all of which worked to control my appetite, and all of which made me feel completely wigged out (racing heart, racing thoughts, etc). Late teens/early 20's was the grapefruit diet, Mayo Clinic diet, cabbage soup diet.....ugh. Each approach met with some degree of success temporarily, but then I'd go off it because it wasn't sustainable or I felt like crap, and the weight would come back.
  • shipleyak
    shipleyak Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Technically, this is my first attempt. When I was younger my mom was on some calorie/fat counting drinking 32 oz of water within 30 minutes. So was kinda put on one then. I think I was 16 so I could feed myself if I didn't like what she cooked :bigsmile:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    My first attempt was when I was about 13... I just did a lot of crunches because I saw it work for my sister. I always gave up. Then i tried atkins shortly after 'cause my parents were on it. I cried when I ordered a chicken sandwich from Jack in the Box, couldn't eat the bread, and was still really hungry.

My first REAL attempt was when I was 17. I'd gained about 30 lbs from summer to winter and I decided to just be balanced about it. I walked about 2 miles everyday, did some strength exercises from Shape.com (I even made an exercise binder of exercises to incorporate - still have it and plan on expounding on it now that I need to re-do my routine!) along with eating a protein and green veggie at lunch and dinner. I started at about 175-178 and got down to about 145 so I ended up losing what I'd originally gained but I can't remember how long I kept it off... I know after at least 2 hours/day of exercising and barely eating at all last summer due to no finances or job, I got down to 150 but was still "thick".
  • zolamercedes
    zolamercedes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When I was in middle school, so I must have been like 12 or 13, I ordered through the mail some weight loss pills. They were black and smelled funny, but I took a whole one in the morning before school. At P.E. I decided that I didn't want to be the slow fat kid anymore so I ran my *kitten* off during like a 100 meter run or whatever. Yea, I almost passed out. I wanted to die, I felt so god aweful. Got home and threw those things down the toilet. Did I learn my lesson? Nope. A few years later I still wasted money on dumb diet pills for a while and now am going the all natural route. I don't care how long it takes, this weight is coming off the right way and I'm not going to endanger my life anymore or waste money.
  • irishpagan
    Options
    I'd always had excess weight but never knew what to do about it. When I was 20 I went to the doctor for my birth control renewal and they told me I had gained so much weight they might have to increase the dosage. I started drinking slimfast and hydroxycut, trying to eat as little as possible. I made it through quite a few days on just 2 slimfasts. It was incredibly unhealthy and I felt weak and tired all the time. I never gained the weight back, not all of it anyway, but I would never do that again.
  • judswi
    judswi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was 15 and it has been a struggle up an down ever since.
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I tried hydroxycut about 4 years ago. Yeah that lasted about 2 days because I had so much energy that I couldn't even get a good nights sleep!
  • bigdiva78
    Options
    I was about 9. Called myself was going to eat a can a spinach a day....LOL.
  • msdivadivine
    Options
    When I was a pre-teen/ teenager my mom enrolled me in the Formu3 program. It was a combination of weigh loss shakes (meal replacements) and well balanced meals. Long story short I was so damn hungry I drank the shakes with my meals. I have been batteling the buldge for a while now.
  • Keisha79
    Keisha79 Posts: 63
    Options
    My first tempt was after high school.. I got this STAPLE put in my ear that was suppose to help me lose weight.
    I was so rub my earlobe around every time I got hungry and it was suppose to curb my appetite. Needless to say.. I'm 40lbs heavier
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    After I truned 21 and started going to bars.:drinker: :blushing: Then after my son and daughter were born. Both times I had a fairly easy time. Since being in my 30's I've yo-yo'd a couple of times and I'm commited to this being the LAST time I lose weight....no more yo-yoing!
  • MusicalMe
    MusicalMe Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Throughout high school I would go on random fasts whenever I got fed up with being fat. Normally, they would last a couple weeks of me only drinking water. I'd lose, but of course I gained it all back as soon as I started eating again.
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My first tempt was after high school.. I got this STAPLE put in my ear that was suppose to help me lose weight.
    I was so rub my earlobe around every time I got hungry and it was suppose to curb my appetite. Needless to say.. I'm 40lbs heavier

I got my ear stapled too! It tightened up my jaw for about month after that nothing! LOL!
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    So sad so many kids had to be on diets :ohwell:

I was about 8, and my dad put me on slim fast...lasted half a day...I was starving!
  • Time2Live99
    Options
    well i was always a little chubby, but playing softball helped me stay in shape in my adolescent years. When i went into highschool, i got a growth spurt and lost all of my baby weight and got down from 175 to 125. After that i would go on fasts eating nothing but fat free cottage cheese and only drinking water for about a week or so when i felt bloated or fat. After highschool i gained a lot of weight - ballooned up to 253lbs. In 2008 i decided to take back my life and lost 50 pounds, now I'm struggling to lose the other 50. I do remember my dad putting me on the treadmill every night though but as soon as he wasnt looking, i would jump off. That didnt last at all.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was 12 I took mini thins to lose weight. I don't remember if I lost weight but I do remember my heart racing.

My first "diet" consisted of the following (it was the same everyday)

Cup of tea for breakfast
    No lunch
    Two bread rolls with butter and a bowl of lentil soup for dinner
    Then every Friday I would have a big bag of Maltesers.

The result? I went from 150lbs to 138lbs, but I was getting malnourished.

Stupid way to lose the weight, it may work, but by God at what price?

Oh I forgot to mention, as soon as I lost the weight, I fell pregnant with my first baby, that was, I hasten to add, IN SPITE of the diet and not because of.
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My mother's first attempt to put me on a diet was the Grapefruit Diet. Didn't work because I wasn't cooperating. I was 11. I weighed 135 lb.

At 13 I logically decided that food was the problem, so I just didn't have any. I drank water for 21 days. No food at all. I lost 35 pounds. I had to give up when I started feeling dizzy (because I forgot about salt). Nobody at home noticed that I wasn't eating. I think they noticed I lost weight, but nobody was concerned. Or, more likely, the parents had their own problems and weren't focussed on mine.

That is so messed up, and I don't think it would've happened if I hadn't been so bullied at school about my weight. Stupid thing is that I really wasn't that overweight, but children are really cruel sometimes.

Mirii