Do you think I will be allowed back into the country?

Options
prdavies1949
prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
I spend half my time in France and half in the UK so last April when I last returned to the UK I had trouble with the Border Control Person. I handed over mine and the wife's passports and he looked at my picture. He looked again, then stared at me. He looked at the wife stared at me again and started questioning me. Where are you going, what is your birthdate, where do you live where have you been etc. It then dawned on me that since I have lost weight I may have become a little thiner arounf the face. I explained that we had both been losing weight and I really was who it said in my passport.

That was 2 months ago and I (we) have lost even more weight. We are once more returning next week to England. My concern is that we are going to have even more issues at Passport Control. I have posted a copy of my passport photo and one taken today.

What do you think will happen? In today's photo I did the starey eyed look to make it like a real passport photo.

10a02984-f387-4b81-ae65-4f378905ee50_zps73b2abb3.jpg
img003_zpsb5bfdcbb.jpg

Edited to reduce photo size

Replies

• laurabelle2013
    Options
    Awesome transformation! You look so much younger too!
    Just make that face and I think you'll be fine ;)
  • hmoffatt
    hmoffatt Posts: 51
    Options
    Good job. My current passport is 8 years old and I lost about 55kg in the year or so just after getting it. I had trouble with immigration officers not believing it was the same person again just last month.. Some of them think it's funny, some think it's amazing, some think I'm a security problem. I might even get a new passport just to get a new photo! Nice problem to have I guess.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Maybe you should take your scale with you to prove that you really have lost the weight and it is you!

Good luck and Congrats to you and your wife!
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You can tell it's you, I would imagine it should be fine.
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Oh wow....you can really see a huge difference....but you still look like you in the eyes and facial features!! I didn't even think of my passport picture!! Yikes....it was taken at my heaviest!!! :noway:
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    Good job. My current passport is 8 years old and I lost about 55kg in the year or so just after getting it. I had trouble with immigration officers not believing it was the same person again just last month.. Some of them think it's funny, some think it's amazing, some think I'm a security problem. I might even get a new passport just to get a new photo! Nice problem to have I guess.

what country is the passport for where it is valid for 8 years lol? Mine is only good for 5 :(
  • 365Primal
    365Primal Posts: 42 Member
    Options

what country is the passport for where it is valid for 8 years lol? Mine is only good for 5 :(

My thought exactly. Canada is 5 years.

You still look like the same person, so you shouldnt have an issue. Just a thinner version.
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    England it's valid for 10 years!

I also think although you look younger can still it's you, although slimmer and younger! Congrats to you and your wife, excellent job! :flowerforyou:
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I can tell it's you, but maybe you need a new passport pic!
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the nice messages, I really don't want to get a new passport as this one still has 7 years left to run and they charge a fortune for a new one. The Canadian government is on a nice little earner if they make you pay every 5 years.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    You look like the same - albeit lighter - person to me. They'd be fools to think otherwise.

American passports last a decade.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it still looks like you, just a lot thinner! Great work!
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Indian passports are valid 10 years. Which is a bad idea IMO because people lose weight, gain weight, lose hair, get hair transplant surgery. Or if you're like me, you'd look the same cuz weight gain and loss always seem to average themselves out over a 5 year period :S
  • Susan_fessler
    Susan_fessler Posts: 56 Member
    Options

USA is 10 year unless you are under 18 years old then they are 5 years. Which reminds me I have to look at mine it might expire soon
  • pamklass
    pamklass Posts: 17
    Options
    I was told they look at your ears in cases like that. That is why I had to have my hair pulled back behind mine.

And awsome job!!
  • CubicCutie
    CubicCutie Posts: 53
    Options
    Time to get a new microchip passport.

Well done. Has to be worth the hassle!:bigsmile:
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Honestly i can see how they would do a double take! Great transformation!! I would say they are close enough, but i woudn't be surprised if you get asked questions again! Maybe carry a drivers licience with a new photo of you on it and hand them both! Who know! American passports also last 10 yrs, but aren't too expensive to get replaced or corrected.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If this really worries you and you have flights booked i bet you can get a new passport in a matter of hours by showing proof of your flight reservations (or anything that proves you have to travel ASAP) to the authorities.

Congratulations on the weightloss! You can really tell the huge difference! but you still look like you and that's a good thing when considering the necessity of getting a new passport.

Usually the law in most countries states that you need to renew the passport if there are noticeable changes in the appearance of the passport holder, and the same applies to IDs and other means of identification. People still travel abroad without having their passport re-issued without major problems though.
  • hmoffatt
    hmoffatt Posts: 51
    Options

We have 10 year passports here in Australia.
  • WannaBLoser2013
    Options
    I spend half my time in France and half in the UK so last April when I last returned to the UK I had trouble with the Border Control Person. I handed over mine and the wife's passports and he looked at my picture. He looked again, then stared at me. He looked at the wife stared at me again and started questioning me. Where are you going, what is your birthdate, where do you live where have you been etc. It then dawned on me that since I have lost weight I may have become a little thiner arounf the face. I explained that we had both been losing weight and I really was who it said in my passport.

That was 2 months ago and I (we) have lost even more weight. We are once more returning next week to England. My concern is that we are going to have even more issues at Passport Control. I have posted a copy of my passport photo and one taken today.

What do you think will happen? In today's photo I did the starey eyed look to make it like a real passport photo.

10a02984-f387-4b81-ae65-4f378905ee50_zps73b2abb3.jpg
    img003_zpsb5bfdcbb.jpg

Edited to reduce photo size

I believe this happened to you. I have lost just 50 pounds and my face looks wayyyyyy thinner than in my passport picture and last time I traveled the immigration officer at Orlando Airport (US) kept staring at me, then I pulled out my permanent resident card for him to confirm my identity and I said: "I have lost some weight" and he smiled and let me go through.
    You have done an awesome job losing weight and you look much better and younger than in your passport picture. Keep it up.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!