I'm doing good... except when my boyfriend is around....??

Options
A week ago I made the decision to get healthy. I have started going back to the gym and have started eating healthy. Except when my boyfriend is at home.... During the day I have no problems with eathing well and going to the gym but when he gets home from work in the evenings I totally over do it. I completly void all the good I have done that day. I do find myself hungier in the evenings but even on his off days I just don't have any will power. I have no idea what causes this and am wondering if there is anyone else going through this or has gone through it. Maybe you can give me some pointers!!!

Replies

• islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Do you find it difficult to ask for help? If approached right I bet your boyfriend could be helping you. I am a private person, but I had to get over that to be successful. You need a support group. And those closest are the most valuable. Good luck.
  • 08sweek
    08sweek Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem until my boyfriend decided it was time for him to get healthy too. His lack of wanting to be healthy rubbed off on me. One way I counteracted his affect until he also decided to join the bandwagon was to remember that I was doing this for me, and I would not be happy with myself if I made bad decisions at any point. My main issue was that my boyfriend is completely fine with the state of my body, my lack of energy, and I'm just not. This was something I had to overcome. I wish you luck at finding your way, I hope I helped!
  • sandradee82
    sandradee82 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes I have told him what is going on and told him I "eat my emotions". I don't think he knows how to help me. Would you have any idea as to where to start looking for a support group?
  • sandradee82
    Options
    The thing is he is healthy. We are an odd couple.. He is 175 and me ehhh not so much :)... He loves me reguardless he says but I want him to want me to be healthy, if that makes sence...
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Yes I have told him what is going on and told him I "eat my emotions". I don't think he knows how to help me. Would you have any idea as to where to start looking for a support group?

Be specific in how he can help. Could we only have healthy food in the home, including snacks. Or if he needs something in the house make is something you don't crave. I got my husband a pedometer so we could compete for steps. We got creative in what we do in the evening. This time has less to do about tv and food and more to do with going for walks and exploring new place. I am afraid with guys you have to be specific and gratefull, appreciating every effort they make.
  • amandapratt
    amandapratt Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem too when I first started. It got to the point where I had to decide why I was trying to lose weight and just stick to it myself. BF is in the same place as I am, where he needs to lose a lot to be healthy, but he didn't have the motivation and it was too tiring to try and motivate him and myself all of the time so I had to focus on me. Once you start seeing results, it's easier to stick with it.
  • kami28
    kami28 Posts: 15
    Options
    The thing is he is healthy. We are an odd couple.. He is 175 and me ehhh not so much :)... He loves me reguardless he says but I want him to want me to be healthy, if that makes sence...

First, let me say that just because he says he loves you regardless of your weight doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't want you to be healthy. I'm sure he does. But think about it for a minute from his side....if you are talking about losing weight, etc, with him, he might be afraid that if he says something agreeing with you that you need to lose weight, that you might take it as him saying you're fat. Guys are really wary about the subject of their girl's weight. They see anything having to do with our weight as the typical "do these jeans make me look fat" questions, that in their experiences, never turn out good. And as for eating your emotions, from what I've seen, not a whole lot of guys even understand this because the majority of people who do this are women. Guys hear the word "emotions" from a girl, and are instantly lost. lol

Secondly, reading your posts has been like looking into my life. There are so many similarities, especially the part I quoted, and that you and I both eat when we're emotional. My man is 175 or so, and I'm not either... He loves me how I am, but I want change for me. I've been the fat girl pretty much my whole life, and I want the outside to match what I feel is on the inside.
    I don't know of any other sites to tell you, I just found this one today, but if at any time you need someone to talk to, I'm here for ya. Maybe we can help support each other through this, since there are so many similarities, we're likely to encounter some of the same issues.

One thing I know, is that if he's a junk-food-aholic like my man, he won't take it lightly if you ask to have only healthy food in the house. If I said that, he would hear it as me telling him he's going to starve, because he refers to healthy food as "rabbit food". lol

Feel free to add me as a friend, and contact me anytime. I'd love to help if I can.

Kami

oh yeah, sorry this is so long =)
  • sandradee82
    Options
    LOL my BF is a junk food junkie as well. I do not understand how he can eat and eat and still be as skinny as he is!!!
    I am also tired of being the fat girl... I havent been fat my whole life but over the past 10 years the weight has just piled on. I want to be healthy for me and my family but mostly for me... I want to be out side with my kids playing and running. I want to feel confident when I'm in town with Alan and I feel like people look at us because we are opposites (in size). I know that he will support me any way he can. And even with all the junk in the house during the day when its just me here. I still do well.. I eat what I'm supposed to. but at supper when he is here I just cant keep a hold on what goes into my mouth. We plan on getting married when I get finished with my classes. I DO NOT want to look at wedding photos with me in a size 26 dress. I think if i could get a handle on what makes me loose focus when he is around then I will have a great chance at success...
  • kami28
    kami28 Posts: 15
    Options
    It's almost a curse for us to have to live with their great metabolism, isn't it?
    The more you write, the more I'm starting to wonder if I've found my doppelganger LOL. They say everyone has one....

I have the same problems with dinner time. I think it has to do with the fact that we cook for them, and so we cook what THEY want. One thing I've done before, that I should probably do more often, is I've started my dinner with a small salad, and then had a much smaller portion of whatever it is that I've cooked. That way, the majority of what I ate was healthy, but I still could have the same thing everyone else was eating as well.

I don't know if this is true in your case, but maybe... I know I've dealt with it.

Have you ever felt that people look at you and judge you more when you're eating healthy vs eating what everyone else eats? Fat people tend to have to deal with people looking at them for eating anything at all, whether it's healthy or not, I know. But I've noticed that they sometimes judge you or make fun of ya more when you're trying to eat healthy, because it shows to them you're not happy with your body since you're trying to change it, and that opens up your vulnerability to them. Is it possible that you have a harder time controlling what you're eating when he's around because of this? Like, 'when in Rome, do as the Romans do', 'when with the skinny bf, do as the bf does'. I know you said you've discussed your problems with your boyfriend, so I don't think you're worried so much about being vulnerable around him, but maybe subconsciously?

It could also be that we're so comfortable with them, and in trying to take care of them, we focus on them when they're home, and forget about us.... this happens with me a lot also.
  • sandradee82
    Options
    When we got together he weighed 130 and now he is 175.. thats 45 pounds in 2 years... but hes still skinny. We planted a garden this summer so that we would have fresh veggies and he wants fried squash at least 3 times a week... he's a country boy... loves steak, ribs, and anything that can be fried and if it can't he tries it anyways!! I have literally seen him put down 3 plates easy when we go out to eat... and when we do go out to eat it HAS to be an all you can eat buffet, Ryans is his favorite.. When we go I always have a great big salad first so i get full faster but I know what you mean about people looking at you. When we go I feel like they think I wanted to go bc I'm fat and wanna eat all I can. I usually don't finish 1 whole plate after my salad.

Together we have 3 kids. None together. My 6 year old came home and tells me that some other child told him he has a big fat mamma... owwww... right in the heart. I try and teach him that looks arent what makes people but I know its hard for a 6 year old to have to hear them talking...
  • sublimechik28
    sublimechik28 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend was the same way until he gained weight and started noticing his pants didnt fit the way they used so i told him why dont we both eat good and exercise together!! duh right . but before that i started on my own working my *kitten* off whether he wanted to partake or not. i let him know that this is what i need to do for myself and if he want s to help great if not than make ur own food lol. I always cook w lots of veggies in a good protein or whole wheat pastas and tomato sauces etc. then he became more into cooking w me and we started trying different veggies to eat etc. its a process things are not going to change over night just stick with and eventually he might want be apart of it too, but if not u need to realize this is for u and how u want to feel. u eat differently when hes around prolly cuz u know hes gonna love u no matter what thats how feel when i eat more or bad when hes around like ehhh he loves me anyways hes not going anywhere.... ooh hot dog, but it is a turkey dog w a whole wheat bun! lol so u can eat junk like foods also if u put a healthy spin on it i learned that with all the bbqs this summer that was freaking hard!! try substituting those junk types of food w healthier options so it doesnt seem like ur eating rabbit food all the time. pizza get w whole wheat crust n tons of veggies. burgers do lean beef or lean turkey n wheat buns no mayo n pile on the veggies too bake potatoes that r cut into steak fries so theyre not deep fried etc theres alot of things u can do. go online look at healthy recipes for the foods u like and it will get way easier and then u will get more creative w ur cooking too.
  • sandradee82
    Options
    He is a great guy, very supportive!!! I started going to the gym almost a year ago.. at first it was a hit or miss type thing. I even signed up for a 6 week boot camp and in the first 2 weeks lost nearly 8 inches... Last week I made the decision to stop making this a whenever i feel like it thing and stick with it. I seen a show and it was talking about how these people lost over 100 pounds and it started with controlling portions and then they added in excersize... they said after the first week they were losing like 5 or 6 pounds... I know I can do this... If i can just get TO the gym once i get there i'm fine.... I push myself more everytime i go... I know this is goin to sound off for those of you who don't know me but i cant wait to brag about all the weight ive lost...

One day at a time right.....
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I do really well with eating healthy during the week (try to exercise as often as I can too) but on the weekends when my boyfriend is around me a lot more, we eat out at restaurants a lot and I lose control of my eating habits. I feel like I have lost control now of my weight - I have just been gaining and gaining. I know the obvious answer is exercise and eat right, but it is extremely difficult when he is around and he has no desire to lose weight. What do you think I should do? I am going to try to eat the best possible on weekdays and do all of my workouts during the week, but I just don't want to ruin all of my hard work every single weekend....
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    that is exactly how i feel!!

"I had the same problem until my boyfriend decided it was time for him to get healthy too. His lack of wanting to be healthy rubbed off on me. One way I counteracted his affect until he also decided to join the bandwagon was to remember that I was doing this for me, and I would not be happy with myself if I made bad decisions at any point. My main issue was that my boyfriend is completely fine with the state of my body, my lack of energy, and I'm just not. This was something I had to overcome. I wish you luck at finding your way, I hope I helped!"
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Oo Oo Oo Me too! Me too! lol I have one of those at home. Very supportive, loves me no matter what size... yada yada yada. Mine weighs 180 and keeps saying he is fat. He has no interest in losing weight. He has gained 20 lbs in the 3 years we have lived together. I keep offering to stop cooking and he can go back to getting his work meals where ever he finds them.... his reply is always " no 'f-ing' way". Mine however does not eat vegies except potatoes, corn on the cob and orange glazed carrots. Once in a while a salad drenched (soup like) in dressing. He will occasionally eat applesauce, but no other fruits. While he gained 20, I gained 40. Go figure.

Since I started MFP I usually make one "meat" dish and separate sides for both of us. Tonight he had cheese tortollini and italian sausage while I had spaghetti squash and baked chicken breast, both of us had the home made spaghetti sauce. We both have leftovers for tomorrow. I make him something to take to work for lunch most days, and fix mine as I need them (at home doing school online).

Do what you gotta do! Find a way to work around em!
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    this is an easy fix just get rid of the boyfriend......................No I'm just joking

Really that's what this web site is all about Try planning your meals for the next day and stick to your meal plan, i don't keep juke food in the house then I'can eat it my girl friend can't eat it.

other post on MFP talk about eating small meals and I find it works for me, keeps me from eating the wrong stuff.

If snakes are a big part of you night try Popcorn I use a hot air popper not butter but I use olive oil, hay I'm kind of hungry think I'll go make some popcorn right now have a good night