New to MFP & doing WW

Options
I am doing Weight Watchers and have lost 5 lbs in about a month so far. I am looking for any friends for motivation and anyone doing WW!

Replies

• ladypapre
    ladypapre Posts: 4
    Options
    I am already your friend. Lmao. But my Mom does WW and she has lost a little more than 30 pounds! It is a wonderful system and tool. :3
  • darlinglovestory
    Options
    Does she count calories?
  • ScouseNerd
    ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Does she count calories?

Just out of curiosity - as I had great success with WW - why do both that and MFP? I use MFP because I like the community, layout and food database more than WW. Also means I'm not sitting at my desk calculating points for my lunch. I see benefits of both but wouldn't doing both at the same time drive you insane with all the counting?

Edit: Oh, and I never counted calories on WW. The reason I liked WW is because it allowed me to avoid any neurotic tracking like that. Kind of blindly eating healthy.
  • darlinglovestory
    Options
    I use MFP to look up foods sometimes and if I'm not mistaken, don't I need to count calories with WW, too.

I read online that you are allowed a certain amount of calories, too. Idk! I want to scream. I would rather only count points to be honest but yeah, the support at MFP is nice.
  • LittleMica
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far!

I recently discontinued WW and it was a great program. The most important thing it taught me was to eat normal and to bulk up on low calorie foods. Now I count calories with a twist. I count 1200 calories a day excluding fruits and veggies and according to my MD it's basically the same thing. I never add my workout calories back in and since I work out regularly and as often as I can I never worry about going over what I need to continue losing weight.

Keep up the hard work!
  • darlinglovestory
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far!

I recently discontinued WW and it was a great program. The most important thing it taught me was to eat normal and to bulk up on low calorie foods. Now I count calories with a twist. I count 1200 calories a day excluding fruits and veggies and according to my MD it's basically the same thing. I never add my workout calories back in and since I work out regularly and as often as I can I never worry about going over what I need to continue losing weight.

Keep up the hard work!

That's a good way to to do it! I'm very "obsessed" with losing weight according to my boyfriend. I am at 225.8 and want to be 175. I started at 265. I will count calories but if its a "zero point" food, I won't count that. Sounds easy enough! Thank you!
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    Hey! Congrats to everyone on their successes! I was on WW too, I lost about 4 lbs in 2 weeks, but I was SO hungry the entire time.
    I felt that the points system didn't work too well for me. I'm giving MFP a try, and so far I really like it.

LittleMica, I like your twist to MFP, sort of making your plan like WW but counting cals instead of the points. I think I'm going to try doing that, too. Great suggestion!

Good luck to all!
  • LittleMica
    Options
    If you have a smart phone counting points is not too bad. They have a scanner you can download. The obstacle is with foods you didn't prepare your self. Get started you may be surprised how well it works. You have 49 points weekly to use so if you estimate over you might still be okay. once you start scanning items you get a good idea how many points are in what items. It's a learning process and after doing WW for so long you learn to eyeball points based of quality and ingredients.
  • LittleMica
    Options
    I feel your pain with the feeling hungry part. I bulked up most of my meals to get satisfied.

Tip:
    Every week dice tomatoes, onions, and peppers about 2 to 3 cups to start and sprinkle on to eggs for breakfast, add as a topper before baking chicken and fish for lunch and dinner, add it to salads and pasta dishes. As you find more ways to use it make larger qualities. My boyfriend uses it also when he cooks and he's not on any diet but he loves it as well.
  • darlinglovestory
    Options
    I'm already able to "eyeball" points after a month cause I am picky and eat a lot of the same foods over and over but I'm trying to find new things.

@Julia-
    I stay so full on WW! I get 36 points right now and find it hard to eat all of them. If you eat lots of zero point foods, you should be able to get a lot!
  • darlinglovestory
    Options
    I feel your pain with the feeling hungry part. I bulked up most of my meals to get satisfied.

Tip:
    Every week dice tomatoes, onions, and peppers about 2 to 3 cups to start and sprinkle on to eggs for breakfast, add as a topper before baking chicken and fish for lunch and dinner, add it to salads and pasta dishes. As you find more ways to use it make larger qualities. My boyfriend uses it also when he cooks and he's not on any diet but he loves it as well.

Good advice. I do this. I buy the stirfry mix (yellow, green and red bell peppers w/ onions) and sprinkle that on everything along with mushrooms and I also buy and cut up onions and freeze them so that I can just grab a handful and throw them into my food I'm cooking. Mushrooms are my fav!
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    Great advice, ladies! Thanks SO much! I am going to try the bulk factor for sure. Definitely need more fruits and veggies over other snacks any time. I get 26 points, but I end up eating 29-31 each day when I work out. I think MFP is also a great tool, and don't get me wrong so is WW!! :) I really like the egg idea/prepping foods in advance to cook with. @darlinglovest, it's good your able to find some variety in WW, too! Keep up the great work!
  • darlinglovestory
    Options
    Great advice, ladies! Thanks SO much! I am going to try the bulk factor for sure. Definitely need more fruits and veggies over other snacks any time. I get 26 points, but I end up eating 29-31 each day when I work out. I think MFP is also a great tool, and don't get me wrong so is WW!! :) I really like the egg idea/prepping foods in advance to cook with. @darlinglovest, it's good your able to find some variety in WW, too! Keep up the great work!

Thanks! I really need a shorter screen name. LOL :laugh:
  • trishyorke
    trishyorke Posts: 20
    Options
    I am a lifetime member of WW and have tried it a number of times over the last year with no success. I really loved the program when I initially lost my weight but for some reason I was just not making healthy choices on WW this time around. I find with MFP I am more conscious of what I am eating and if I were to liken it to WW I would say I am following the Core Program. I am very careful about my protein, sugar and sodium, three things I never never looked at on WW.

WW is awesome, personally I feel going to meetings works better which is why I probably was not successful last few times around. I think this site is great for the nutritional content you can find which you can easily convert to points ... at the same time get lots of support here!

Good luck! :)
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    hahah! Me too @darlinglovest
    :tongue:
  • darlinglovestory
    Options
    I am a lifetime member of WW and have tried it a number of times over the last year with no success. I really loved the program when I initially lost my weight but for some reason I was just not making healthy choices on WW this time around. I find with MFP I am more conscious of what I am eating and if I were to liken it to WW I would say I am following the Core Program. I am very careful about my protein, sugar and sodium, three things I never never looked at on WW.

WW is awesome, personally I feel going to meetings works better which is why I probably was not successful last few times around. I think this site is great for the nutritional content you can find which you can easily convert to points ... at the same time get lots of support here!

Good luck! :)
    I guess everyone is different as far as different diets working differently for our bodies. WW seems to work for me if I stick to it. Good luck with your journey!
  • darlinglovestory
    Options
    hahah! Me too @darlinglovest
    :tongue:

I seen "darlinglovest" and was like where is she getting that name from? lol Its darlinglovestory and I wondered if I didn't type it all out or something. Obviously, just too long for MFP's liking. :)