Can't do squats (suggestions?)

Options
I can't do squats. I can never target my butt with them, only my quads and maybe some of the rest of my thighs but not a lot. My hips are also uneven. What other butt exercises can I do that are just as effective for the butt as squats are? I really want to lift and round out my butt and build muscle. I've have fat I need to burn off there, too, but I want to reshape it and lift it also. Everytime I try to target my butt, I end up targeting my thighs and calves instead and barely my butt.

Replies

• alison590
    alison590 Posts: 61
    Options
    I had that problem and a trainer worked with me to do some good pre-stretches and glute isolating exercises. I would have tight quads and pain for days. The biggest problem was that I wasn't doing low enough with the squats. I hope this helps you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    what do you mean " can't do squats"

physically incapable?? don't like? bad balance/?

have you tried deadlifting?
  • recover_healthy_fit
    recover_healthy_fit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I had that problem and a trainer worked with me to do some good pre-stretches and glute isolating exercises. I would have tight quads and pain for days. The biggest problem was that I wasn't doing low enough with the squats. I hope this helps you.

Thank you

Hmm, looks like I'll need to hold on to something to get lower. I'll try that and see how it feels. Hopefully my uneven hips won't stop me from doing proper squats...
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options

My hips are uneven, and it is really hard to do them properly. I end up putting my force on to one side more than the other because my legs are not even because of my hips. And I target my thighs and quads more than my butt. Most of the time I don't target my butt at all. Squats also hurt my hips, and it feels like something is almost being pinched in a way, it's hard to describe. I do stretch before and after, and stop when I must. My left hip is higher than my right so it makes my left leg longer....
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    Bump for the responses. I can't do squats, dead lifts or lunges due to nerve damage in feet and legs which affects balance.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1.) have you seen a physician?"

2.) single leg squats- free standing- or on a sled

3) split squats/bulgarian squats

4.) bridge lifts
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options

4.) bridge lifts

No ,I have not. I know what it's from....it's from doing moves improperly...oops...lol but i know i can fix it....even my shoulder and arms are uneven and they never use to be.

thank you
  • kjwasmund
    kjwasmund Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Do leg lifts and pilates. I have a bad knee and have issues with squats sometimes too!
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i used to have uneven shoulder also and always put more weight on one leg, so my hips were uneven too, so i know where your coming from... with your sqauts, start out going as low as you can and slowly work toward getting 90 degrees (or lower) this may take a little time. If you have to, do them without weight or with light weight dumbells held at your side. Make sure your back is straight and put your weight in your heels. i would bet money that when you squat, at the bottom of your squat your weight is in the ball of your foot or even throughout, thats why its working your thigh and quad... when your at the bottom of your squat, you shoule be able to wiggle your toes, this load the weight in your heels and will force your hamstrings and glutes to engage...

Hope that helps, let me know how it goes.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options

4.) bridge lifts

No ,I have not. I know what it's from....it's from doing moves improperly...oops...lol but i know i can fix it....even my shoulder and arms are uneven and they never use to be.

thank you

GO TO THE DOCTOR!! If you are feeling pinching INSIDE the joint there is an issue you will not be able to fix by doing more exercises! Shoulders as well. Unless of course you want surgery and a nice set of 4 scars around the joint, if you are lucky enough it can be fixed laparoscopicly. Speaking from personal experience there.
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    FIX. YOUR. SQUAT. if you cannot perform the most basic of all movement patterns correctly you will end up with bigger problems than the shape or your butt. (that means consulting a doctor to determine the status of your hip joints.)

if you are looking for exercises to engage the glutes: deadlifts, romanian deadlifts, glute bridges... doing these will also teach you how to get your glutes to fire while squatting.

also if you are doing high bar squats switch to low bar to get the postirior chain more involved.
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    oh you can also do Lunges with or without dumbells, but agian load the weight in your heels as much as you can.
  • rougenoire
    rougenoire Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hip thrusts - you are sat on the floor with your knees bent, your torso leaning back to rest your shoulders on a bench at knee height. from that position you use your glutes to lift your body up to make a bridge position so that your body is flat at the level of the bench and your lower legs are straight . Given that rubbish explanation have a look on you tube! They really do work your glutes but you don't have the balance issues and it shouldn't be a problem even with uneven hips.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    if you drink more booze, you will be able to squat,
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

My hips are uneven, and it is really hard to do them properly. I end up putting my force on to one side more than the other because my legs are not even because of my hips. And I target my thighs and quads more than my butt. Most of the time I don't target my butt at all. Squats also hurt my hips, and it feels like something is almost being pinched in a way, it's hard to describe. I do stretch before and after, and stop when I must. My left hip is higher than my right so it makes my left leg longer....

OP - I have the same exact issue - my chiropractor fixes it regularly.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Check out Bodynomics.com she has some vids on youtube for squats. I would think form is your culprit.
  • StrongAimee
    StrongAimee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a doctor!! I had a friend who has one leg shorter than the other and was causing pain in her hip and back. She got a lift for one of her shoes and the pain went away.

Second- get a trainer or go to a group class with a certified trainer. I do Crossfit (http://map.crossfit.com/ you can find an affilate near you). Crossfit may seem intimidating but the coaches and owners are certified and always focus on doing moves correctly.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest hip thrusts and glute bridges with weights. Look up Brett Contreras on You Tube for form tips.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options

My hips are uneven, too, due to slight Scoliosis. I have a quarter-inch shoe lift I wear in my left shoe. It evens out my hips during the day and REALLY helps with my back pain. I put velcro on the bottom of it and in all my left shoes, so I can put it in any shoe I wear.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i used to have uneven shoulder also and always put more weight on one leg, so my hips were uneven too, so i know where your coming from... with your sqauts, start out going as low as you can and slowly work toward getting 90 degrees (or lower) this may take a little time. If you have to, do them without weight or with light weight dumbells held at your side. Make sure your back is straight and put your weight in your heels. i would bet money that when you squat, at the bottom of your squat your weight is in the ball of your foot or even throughout, thats why its working your thigh and quad... when your at the bottom of your squat, you shoule be able to wiggle your toes, this load the weight in your heels and will force your hamstrings and glutes to engage...

Hope that helps, let me know how it goes.

I was having the same problem with not feeling it in my glutes. Thanks for this!