Hypo Thyroid Issues

Options
I noticed that ever since Ive taken thyroid mediation that I have a harder time losing weight. Has anyone else experianced this and have any good ideas.

Replies

20072013 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My endocrynologist has stressed to me how difficult it is for people with underactive thyroid to loose weight. This is a huge point of stress in my life. I lost around 30 pounds and she couldn't believe I had done it on my own because it is so difficult. I would suggest trying a diet that is low in glycemic index and check out Jillian Micheal's book "Master Your Metabolism" if you haven't already.
  • xgirl451
    xgirl451 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I experienced this too! What my doctor suggested and seemed to work for me was getting 20-30% of my calories from protien.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Your thyroid medication is supposed to make your metabolism as normal as possible so it shouldn't be harder for you to lose weight than it was before being treated for hypothyroidism (because you're hypo... Not hyper, right?).

You say uou're hypo so my guess is that it's not harder than it was before taking medication but now you're putting more effort into tracking what you eat and you probably weigh yourself more often so it may be making you more aware of the numbers on the scale.
    Still, it could happen that even on medication weightloss is almost impossible (but you're saying it's worse than it was before?). I'd do what the others suggested, low fat, low added sugar diet with a focus on low glycemic index foods and tracking what your protein intake is.

When did you start taking your medication? Ask your doctor if you think you're thyroid is getting worse, you could need a higher dose. Specially if it's been more than three/six months since your last checkup. My thyroid definitely got worse after being on levothyroxine 50mcg for a year,but that's more than long enough to need a dosage change.

Best of luck!
  • Tiffanylperez
    Options
    I had to get off my medication to lose weight. I now take nettle root, avoid raw cruciferous vegetables, eat a clean diet with low carbs, and work out 20 minutes in the morning (stationary bike), at lunch (moderately-paced walk), and in the evening (weights).
  • buckshot1969
    Options
    Thanks for all the thoughts. I am going to check into alot of these suggestions. They always have a hard time with getting my medication right. Ive never heard of the glycemic index reading it now online.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    It took a while to get my medication right, but once they did I was able to lose weight. Before that it was near impossible.