Upping calories to lose weight

Options
Hey guys I have heard alot of people talking about upping their calories for a day or two to lose weight when they hit a plateau on the scale, has anyone done this with any effectiveness?

Replies

• KCPT17
    KCPT17 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I am interested in this as well. I have been at 127.2 pounds for 4 weeks (I am 5'5 and my UGW is 125.. so close!) and I am getting frustrated! I have been eating around 1500 calories per day plus exercising that burns approx. 300 calories per day, therefore netting 1200. Based on what my TDEE is, I should eat around 1700 calories per day w/o exercise to lose weight, so I am going to up my calories to that, with healthy choices of course.

Any thoughts if this is the right route to go?
  • KCPT17
    Options
    p.s. my diary is public, too, if anyone has any suggestions!
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this as well. I have been at 127.2 pounds for 4 weeks (I am 5'5 and my UGW is 125.. so close!) and I am getting frustrated! I have been eating around 1500 calories per day plus exercising that burns approx. 300 calories per day, therefore netting 1200. Based on what my TDEE is, I should eat around 1700 calories per day w/o exercise to lose weight, so I am going to up my calories to that, with healthy choices of course.

That's basically the route I'd suggest. I look at a whole week, calculate how busy I am (let's say 3 days of moderate active, 4 of light active) and then get a number for the entire week as my TDEE. Then cut that weekly number and divide the result of that by 7 to get my daily target.

Re-run the numbers when you change your activity level (maybe you decide to do Insanity instead of walking, or you're going to do 3 hours of Zumba twice a week now...) or once you've lost 5-10 pounds.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Any thoughts if this is the right route to go?

Your problem is probably inaccurate logging. Buy a scale and weigh everything. Measuring cups don't cut it. You're probably not eating what you think you are.

Oh and you're not eating anywhere enough fat either.

Eating TDEE -10 or 15% now is probably a good thing to do anyway to get ready for maintenance.
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    don't know why you say measuring cups don't cut it how else am I suppose to MEASURE my food a scale doesn't measure my intake of cup 1/2 etc measurements:smile:
  • KCPT17
    Options
    I actually use a food scale and weigh/measure everything to a "T." Probably too obsessive over it actually! Thank you all for your input and suggestions!
  • shayleac
    shayleac Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi, I hit a plateau for just over 4 weeks.

I upped my water intake, made sure my sodium was under 2000mg per day and exercized even harder for the next week.
    The following week I was back on track with a pound lost.

Hope this helps.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    don't know why you say measuring cups don't cut it how else am I suppose to MEASURE my food a scale doesn't measure my intake of cup 1/2 etc measurements:smile:

I use weight for anything that's chunky / bulky or doesn't fit nicely into a cup measure. Meat, unless its ground, gets weighed, as do odd shaped things like broccoli, etc...
  • KCPT17
    Options
    In response to not eating enough fat (which I have never noticed/considered before) what is your all macros percentage? I am 30% fat, 30% protein and 40% carb. I was thinking I may be eating too many carbs but hell who knows! There are so many takes/opinions on everything. I feel like I may be reading way too far into things. I am going to try to up my calories (also better calculate my TDEE) and see how that goes. Hopefully I am successful!
  • idonteatchoy
    idonteatchoy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think i found my twin! i'm also 5'5" around 126-127.5 pounds and my GW is 125lb. I eat around 1750-1800 on most days. With 45% carbs 25% fat 30% protein. I have been working out 6 days a week with HIIT and strength training. I also measure everything with a food scale. I might consider upping my calories soon
  • KCPT17
    Options
    Thank you for the add!! I will let you know how it goes :)