Overeating?anyone with the same problem?

Options

Replies

• louisegibbs85
    louisegibbs85 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Night time is when I start wanting to binge on snacks. I usually make a weight watchers hot chocolate or something to take the sweet cravings off n it helps me to feel full. I usually do it out of boredom so at night I started treating myself to a little pamper like pain ng my nails or something to distract me lol
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Is 1320 is enough for my weight according to BMR.

Probably not. I calculated your numbers (presuming you are 21?) and I got your BMR as 1416 so you should be eating at least that much a day.

Your TDEE is 1700. I would eat 1500 a day on non exercise days, and 1500 plus exercise calories on other days.

Also, so what if you overate? By how much? You would need to be consistantly eating 500+ calories on top of your 1700 to put on a pound. Relax. You don't have to hit the goal exactly every single day. It is ok to go over or under 100 cals or so. You have to be realistic. Setting ridiculous targets is not sustainable. Its a life change, not a diet. Do what you plan on doing for the rest of your life.
  • jebo1982
    jebo1982 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Its always at night when I am studying. It can be hard to lose weight while in school (especially if its nursing school like I am in)

Are you getting enough sleep? I have noticed on days where I only get 5 or 6 hours (sometimes less), I tend to go crazy with the snacking later even when I make good choices that day.

My tip is go with low calorie high quantity. My go to is the trader joe's lite kettle korn. it has that sweet/salty that I want. I will dump two bags in a bowl (about 200 calories) and just eat off that when i am feeling snacky. And make sure you eat a lot of protein and veggies.
  • anabelsmummy123
    anabelsmummy123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Overeaters on a weight loss and fitness site? Probably not.

Wow, seriously?? Of course, people having an overeating problem will NEVER seek help and try to get better....
    Yes, I have a binge/overeating problem and yes, I am on this site trying to get better, to be healthier and to lose weight the right way. Open your mind!
    Sarcasm should have it's own font

hehe
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    You don't have a lot to lose so these last pounds will (and should) come off very slowly. It seems like your calorie allotment is pretty low for this stage of your weight loss. Set your goal to lose .5 lbs a week and you'll be able to eat more calories and thus not get your urges to 'overeat'. Also, I if you usually get hungry at night, save the majority of your calories for the evening. You don't have to evenly space them out. If you're not hungry in the morning, eat very light (or not at all if you want) and that way you can eat at night without worrying about going over your allotment for the day.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Probably not. I calculated your numbers (presuming you are 21?) and I got your BMR as 1416 so you should be eating at least that much a day.

Your TDEE is 1700. I would eat 1500 a day on non exercise days, and 1500 plus exercise calories on other days.

Also, so what if you overate? By how much? You would need to be consistantly eating 500+ calories on top of your 1700 to put on a pound. Relax. You don't have to hit the goal exactly every single day. It is ok to go over or under 100 cals or so. You have to be realistic. Setting ridiculous targets is not sustainable. Its a life change, not a diet. Do what you plan on doing for the rest of your life.

You have no idea what her TDEE is. Her SEDENTARY TDEE is 1700. Exercise is added on top of that. 1325 is a perfectly reasonable calorie goal for someone with a sedentary TDEE of 1700, assuming that they add exercise calories on top of that. Looking at the OP's diary, she does.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Wow, seriously?? Of course, people having an overeating problem will NEVER seek help and try to get better....
    Yes, I have a binge/overeating problem and yes, I am on this site trying to get better, to be healthier and to lose weight the right way. Open your mind!
    Sarcasm should have it's own font

The sarcasm was obvious, but that doesn't make the post any less useless or any more helpful.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

You have no idea what her TDEE is. Her SEDENTARY TDEE is 1700. Exercise is added on top of that. 1325 is a perfectly reasonable calorie goal for someone with a sedentary TDEE of 1700, assuming that they add exercise calories on top of that. Looking at the OP's diary, she does.

^^ This makes sense.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I looked at the past week in your diary and if you average it out, you are eating 1606 calories per day. Some people do have naturally low BMR, but this is almost certainly a deficit for you. I am also 5'5" but considerably older than you (based on your profile pic - I'm 52) and my TDEE is around 1900 (based on maintaining weight, not a calculator). Yours is likely higher.

You say you haven't lose much in the past month. How much have you lost? As you get closer to goal it's natural to lose more slowly. It's also natural to have weeks where you don't lose at all.

It sounds like you are doing fine to me, but if you have a problem overeating at night why not just eat lighter throughout the day and save some calories for a late night snack. Or simply plan a later dinner.
  • tinamir92
    tinamir92 Posts: 22
    Options
    I have the same problem. Its always at night when I am studying. It can be hard to lose weight while in school (especially if its nursing school like I am in)

Are you getting enough sleep? I have noticed on days where I only get 5 or 6 hours (sometimes less), I tend to go crazy with the snacking later even when I make good choices that day.

My tip is go with low calorie high quantity. My go to is the trader joe's lite kettle korn. it has that sweet/salty that I want. I will dump two bags in a bowl (about 200 calories) and just eat off that when i am feeling snacky. And make sure you eat a lot of protein and veggies.

I'm in dental school and need to study everyday and i'm under too much pressure right now. at nights i usually have fruits and oat biscuits and coffee sometimes. sleeping is really important i'm totally like u! days when i have lack of sleep i can't control my eating!
  • tinamir92
    Options
    I looked at the past week in your diary and if you average it out, you are eating 1606 calories per day. Some people do have naturally low BMR, but this is almost certainly a deficit for you. I am also 5'5" but considerably older than you (based on your profile pic - I'm 52) and my TDEE is around 1900 (based on maintaining weight, not a calculator). Yours is likely higher.

You say you haven't lose much in the past month. How much have you lost? As you get closer to goal it's natural to lose more slowly. It's also natural to have weeks where you don't lose at all.

It sounds like you are doing fine to me, but if you have a problem overeating at night why not just eat lighter throughout the day and save some calories for a late night snack. Or simply plan a later dinner.

i get so hungry throughout the day i usually have too many snacks that there won't be no cals left for my dinner! i have lost almost 15 pounds. i tend to lose 0.5 pound every week but that has stopped since last month.
  • tinamir92
    Options

so 1325 is enough for me right??? i think i eating more protein that will help me and overeating problem! so besides meat and fish and chicken what are the good sources of protein?? i eat yogurt and cheese in low fat should i go for high fat ones?
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options

^^ This makes sense.

Ok

I wouldn't say eat a 500 cal deficit if you only have a few lbs left to lose, but I am not a professional and I don't play one on TV.

My bad for not putting sedentary in front of TDEE.
    "OP, Thats your sedentary TDEE"
    I apologise to all who I have offended!
  • jonnythan
    Options

so 1325 is enough for me right??? i think i eating more protein that will help me and overeating problem! so besides meat and fish and chicken what are the good sources of protein?? i eat yogurt and cheese in low fat should i go for high fat ones?

1325 is fine as long as you eat back your exercise calories as you have been.

Meat is the best place to get protein, and it's the most filling. Chicken, turkey, pork, fish, whatever. You can also use protein powders but they don't fill you up the way actual meat does, and you seem to have a problem with satiety.

When you get dairy products, get the regular ones and not the low-fat ones. Fat is good for you.
  • tinamir92
    Options

Meat is the best place to get protein, and it's the most filling. Chicken, turkey, pork, fish, whatever. You can also use protein powders but they don't fill you up the way actual meat does, and you seem to have a problem with satiety.

When you get dairy products, get the regular ones and not the low-fat ones. Fat is good for you.

thanks for your help really appreciate it! and one thing: do u think i should take supplements? i already take vitamin b complex. anything good? i will try to have more proteins and less carb.and i will go for regular dairy not low fat!
  • jonnythan
    Options

thanks for your help really appreciate it! and one thing: do u think i should take supplements? i already take vitamin b complex. anything good? i will try to have more proteins and less carb.and i will go for regular dairy not low fat!

I don't think any supplements are necessary. I think most women would benefit from a calcium supplement, but if you're getting enough in your diet there's no need for it. Vitamin D is also a good idea if you don't get out in the sun much. I recommend a simple calcium citrate+vitamin D supplement for most women. Other than that, I think a multi can't really hurt but also isn't necessary.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Personally, I don't believe dairy fat is all that healthy, though it is a debatable subject. I like to limit it, but that's just me. I would add fat through things like nuts, nut butters, seeds, avocado or olive oil. Nuts are a source of protein, fat and fiber all of which are very satiating.
  • tinamir92
    Options

Personally, I don't believe dairy fat is all that healthy, though it is a debatable subject. I like to limit it, but that's just me. I would add fat through things like nuts, nut butters, seeds, avocado or olive oil. Nuts are a source of protein, fat and fiber all of which are very satiating.

i love nuts and try to have peanuts and almonds everyday. though most products are roasted and salted which is not good but i think they are a good source of protein.
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Good luck with your journey, though.

lol!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    i am not trying to lose weight fast! just a few more pounds and i'm done. i try to be 120 pounds. but my weight has stopped in the same place for a month now and i overate in the past few weeks. my diary is open now! thanks for ur help!

Try losing slower. I don't net under 1400 or I turn into a psycho. When it's five pounds, it doesn't really matter if you lose it a bit slower. And like others said, make sure you're eating protein. Fiber is also good, and make sure you're getting enough vitamins and nutrients. If your body feels like it needs something, it's going to want more food.