BodyMedia Link or Polar FT40/60

Can I ask your help with some opinions on the BodyMedia Link or the Polar Watch for HRM to aid weight loss? I currently have a FitBit One, and I just don't feel the calorie burn is accurate. It's a great motivator and has been terrific tracking my sleep, but because it's an estimation, I am concerned I may be eating too few calories a day (go figure). So I am ready to invest in a HRM that is more accurate at calorie burn. I understand nothing is 100% accurate, but I am interested in your opinions on which HRm I should consider.

Thank you so much for your info!

Replies

• Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    well, your title and question don't quite match up- the bodymedia isn't a heart rate monitor. It does a million things and is awesome, but it doesn't use heart rate to get the answers. I own both the bodymedia and an FT40.

I wore bodymedia for a long time and it helped me understand my calorie burn averages, highly recommended. Many people use it for weighloss. I used it to learn how to maintain, which it totally taught me! But I often felt that even though it's an amazing and smart device, it can't assess certain workouts accurately- for instance yoga, weight lifting. It doesn't read your heartrate but reads your movement/ body temp/ sweat, so I always felt like it didn't record my workouts well becuase of this fact (obviously yoga and weightlifting get your HR up but don't always have a ton of vigorous movement that the bmf would record). So, I wore my BMF for a few months religiously to get some good data to go off of and learned my AVERAGE calorie burn, so I wasn't eating per it's daily readout. I'd add up a number of days together and average it out. I also always took off 10% for error. Now that I'm not wearing my BMF but still learning how to maintain I have my MFP diary set to that average burn I calculated out of my BMF readings on non-workout but otherwise normal days (so- my lowest readings on normal days was around 2000) and then I use my FT40 to get my exercise burns and add that to my diary to eat back. It's working out just fine so far and I've maintained my weight this year.

As far as for weightloss? you'd just have to get the devices and trial and error what works for you.... good luck! It took me awhile to figure out what my body needed to lose weight and then to maintain.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Hi Stefanie!

I was in the same boat as you recently. I KNEW that my Fitbit was not accurate (I got my RMR tested and I could see that my Fitbit had under-calculated my BMR by a couple hundred calories a day but when I contacted Fitbit support they said that its impossible to change it).

So just like you, I wondered if I should get an HRM to use with my Fitbit or a BodyMedia Fit. I chose a BMF and here's why:

1) Cost - In my research on HRMs I realized that a good one was going to run me at least $160. But with the EatMore2WeighLess discount code, I got the BodyMedia Fit Link (I need the bluetooth sync!) for only $114 with tax and shipping.

2) Even adding an HRM to my Fitbit would not have given me an accurate burn because Fitbit will only estimate my BMR and I can't adjust it. But the BMF does adjust its calibration based on data it gets from me so that after a week or two of wearing, it is very accurate. And if I feel its not accurate, it DOES allow me to adjust it.

So I got a BMF and then I tested for a couple of weeks by wearing both my Fitbit and my BMF. My BMF gives me at least 300 calories more per day than Fitbit, even on a day when all I do is steps and stairs and no workouts and you would think they would be the same. But Fitbit actually under-counts my steps I've discovered!

I have found that they both are about the same in how they calculate my sleep. However, with the Fitbit I have to remember to put it in the wristband and push Start before I sleep and then push End when I get up. Try as I might, I sometimes forget to do that. But my BMF captures my sleep automatically with no additional actions on my part. So for that reason alone it ends up doing a better job of capturing my sleep.

So overall, I am VERY happy that I got a BMF. And the best part is that if I do want an HRM someday, there are a couple of HRMs that work WITH the BMF, so I can wear my BMF and HRM for a workout and my BMF will get data from the HRM!

The ultimate test for me was that half-way through my metabolism reset I switched to eating my full (larger) BMF burn. I ended my reset with ZERO net gain! And now that I am eating a very small cut from my BMF (-10%) I am losing. So I can't argue with the results!

The BMF is the best of all worlds in my humble opinion! :flowerforyou:

Edit to say that Yes, the BMF is not a heart rate monitor. However, it can measure the same category of data as an HRM: how hard I am working. It just finds that out using body temperature and sweat levels versus heart rate.
  • stefaniem76
    stefaniem76 Posts: 37 Member
    Can I ask you if this is the same model?
    http://www.amazon.com/BodyMedia-Armband-Weight-Management-System/dp/B0049POHK6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1

I see the price is about $20 less than you paid, but from the research it appears to sound the same (I definitely need the bluetooth sync, as well).

Thank you so much for the advice. I was mistaken in thinking it was a HRM, but from my research it seems to be the most dependable. I did not know that there were HRMs that work with BML (as I thought BML was a HRM lol) so that is a great point.
    Thanks again!!!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    1) Cost - In my research on HRMs I realized that a good one was going to run me at least $160.
    Just for anyone who may be looking... I just got the Polar FT4F Water Resistant Time & Heart Watch from Amazon for $65. I love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Water-Resistant-Heart-Watch/dp/B0084EI2B8/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1371059219&sr=1-1&keywords=Polar+FT4F+Water+Resistant+Time+&+Heart+Watch
  • Just realize body media has a monthly subscription fee, that's why I didn't do with it. So yes you pay for the device but you also have to pay monthly for the software to use it. I also can't hide it too well when at work, etc as it's on your arm the entire time. That's just me though.

I did a lot of research before getting my FitBit, and all the research I looked at (just googling them, and reading tech reviews and manufacturer websites and FAQ's) Jawbone was 1st, Fitbit was second, in quite a few. Since Jawbone wasn't compatible with my cell phone, I went for the fitbit and now that I have the fitbit i'm finally losing weight again, since MFP is horrible at calculating how many calories I've burned.

I've heard great things about The Polar products too, but they are only used during exercise.
  • stefaniem76
    Good bit of info! Thanks! That was the one distraction, wearing the armband. That is why I like my Fitbit One, it is easy to hide. But I am definitely having an issue with the calories burned. I need something more accurate. Mostly from my exericse, more than my daily burn. I, too, have only done internet/google searches, but I am seeing BML as the top contender. But I will need to see what these monthly fees will be before making a decision. I am doing just fine clean eating and working out, but I want to stay on top of my fitness level and ensure I am eating enough/not too much each day.
    I appreciate your post!!
  • Bettyeditor
    Can I ask you if this is the same model?
    http://www.amazon.com/BodyMedia-Armband-Weight-Management-System/dp/B0049POHK6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1

I see the price is about $20 less than you paid, but from the research it appears to sound the same (I definitely need the bluetooth sync, as well).

Thank you so much for the advice. I was mistaken in thinking it was a HRM, but from my research it seems to be the most dependable. I did not know that there were HRMs that work with BML (as I thought BML was a HRM lol) so that is a great point.
    Thanks again!!!

Yes, that's the same model I wear. And WOW that's an awesome price!!!!!!!!!!!
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    I use an HRM and find this gives probably the closest to an accurate rate of calorie burn since it is programmed to the user's weight, height, etc and should be equally accurate no matter what form of exercise is done. Of course even an HRM can never be fully accurate.
    Finding a good HRM is no easy matter as I have tried loads. The Polar FT7 was good and currently I use a Garmin 910XT as I do a variety of different exercise types.

I still have a Fitbit, which is a great motivator, although really very accurate as to calorie burn.
  • annebaum41912
    annebaum41912 Posts: 87 Member
    I tried the hrm. It was ok. But once I got the BML i fell in LOVE. It has helped me so much and is really accurate. I would never use anything else.
  • Bettyeditor
    Good bit of info! Thanks! That was the one distraction, wearing the armband. That is why I like my Fitbit One, it is easy to hide. But I am definitely having an issue with the calories burned. I need something more accurate. Mostly from my exericse, more than my daily burn. I, too, have only done internet/google searches, but I am seeing BML as the top contender. But I will need to see what these monthly fees will be before making a decision. I am doing just fine clean eating and working out, but I want to stay on top of my fitness level and ensure I am eating enough/not too much each day.
    I appreciate your post!!

That was my big hesitation too, the armband. Now that I've left work and I'm doing school full time, I don't worry as much about someone seeing it. But honestly everyone who has seen it and asked about it just thought it was way cool and now I feel like a rock start fitness-type for wearing it! LOL And I find that I am way less prone to lose my device. I've lost my Fitbit a couple times but never happens with the armband.

As for monthly fees, I was paying for Premium with Fitbit, so the BMF yearly fee was comparable: about $60/year.
  • stefaniem76
    Last question Betty!! If I chose the online activity manager for a year, and chose not to use it next year, will I still be able to use the armband and sync it with MFP? Or is the devive useless without the online activity manager?

• MrsAvent79
    MrsAvent79 Posts: 18
    I find I like the interface better of bodymedia, I use MFP for forums only... the bodymedia is generally nicer/prettier and user friendly.. but you can use it..

Bodymedia is something I would recommend to anyone so they know exactly how many calories they are burning every day. Yes it's on your arm all day, but you don't feel it after the first day, it's adjustable, and if you have a t-shirt with sleeves on, no one will see it...

:) *hug* good luck with whatever you choose :)
  • Starlage
    the bodymedia's useless without paying the fee for the activity manager. You also can't reference back to the data after you cancel your subscription, so I recorded my burns, etc in an excel file.
  • Starlage
    I also agree having it on my arm for work wasn't too big a deal, people just thought it was awesome and asked lots of questions. I did however hate having it on my arm for social activities, and this ultimately is why I stopped wearing it. I figured a few months of data was plenty and was a large enough window to have an idea of my burns depending on the day's activities/workout.
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    I find that this also works well wearing on left valve if you have pants on and a sleeveless shirt or long dress.