Jogging Boredom

I've never been a runner, i.e. once around the block and I either get winded or just plain bored! At the gym, I can do the elliptical for a few miles, but same problem - even with music or some other distraction, I just get bored.

People talk about the high they get from running - but how do I make it to that point without stopping from boredom first?! First, I know I need to work up to the distance, but even 15 minutes is too much of a mental burden for me!

What is going on??

Replies

• I've never been a runner, i.e. once around the block and I either get winded or just plain bored! At the gym, I can do the elliptical for a few miles, but same problem - even with music or some other distraction, I just get bored.

People talk about the high they get from running - but how do I make it to that point without stopping from boredom first?! First, I know I need to work up to the distance, but even 15 minutes is too much of a mental burden for me!

What is going on??
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    As a Mom of two chatters...Imagine that??? This is the only time where nobody is poking me, talking to me, touching me, asking me questions, or breathing on me. I actually love running now, and I have ALWAYS hated it!

The other day, I was running, and actually had a thought...from start to finish. Nobody even...

...hang on...kid talking to me...

Hokay...where was I??? No seriously, a kid HAD a need! Oh ya...Anyway, it's the only time I can actually think about my week or what I want to accomplish for the next few days. It's my only think without interruption time. I LOVE IT! When my hubby and I run together, it's great to not talk, just go!

So maybe use it as your think alone time. :wink:
  • greeneggsam
    greeneggsam Posts: 121
    I used to be the same way - and I still feel bored sometimes, but I have learned that what works for me is to plan my errands while I am doing cardio.

I come up with a mental grocery list (which is more focused on fruits and veggies when I am sweating than it would have been when my butt was on the couch)... think about what order I should run to the pharmacy, the dry cleaners, and the grocery store so that I don't waste any time... decide what to do with my economic stimulus check... figure out what to buy for birthday gifts... anything that will help distract you.

And, I always set the elliptical for 30 minutes, so that if I can zonk out for 15 of them, I am half way there and I can convince myself to just follow through and finish up.

Plus, number one for me is to have a good mix of music going. My gym likes to hit the easy-listening station every now and then, which is a drag. :yawn:

Best of luck!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    lol princess....I agree!!!

I would recommend running outdoors too if possible as treadmills are soooo boring...to me anyway....but if you do, be safe or run w/ a buddy!

I would recommend music if you're running indoors or watching the telly....because that can make the boring treadmill go by faster....but if you're outdoors...you can visually give yourself goals....like run to that tree....or make it two more blocks....its just really sweet!

And that high...you won't feel it at first....but once you stick w/ it a bit you'll get addicted I'm betting...its a love/hate thing...lol

hugs and best of luck...come join our runner's club in the fitness boards....we touch base everyday and you don't have to run to post....some of us walk, rest, cross train...but anyway...open invite to anyone LOL

hugs!
    Ali ...good luck!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Oh I can soooo relate!! I am bored two minutes after I start! My doctor said it is adult ADD! I believe him!! My treadmill is in front of the TV!

Seriously, when I run outside music is my motivator and I try and concentrate on all the things around me - I look at peoples landscaping (or lack there of), I play little games with myself (run as fast/slow as I can to the next telephone pole), and this is a fun one -- I look for money! I never come home from one of my runs around the neighborhood without change! I tell my hubby that people throw money at me!

the runners high is different - this is a happy place you get to - when you get to the point that you feel like you could run forever and you are just sailing through the course at a great pace and everything is in synch- it is euphoric! I don't get there until about 4 miles....

do you have ipod? Podcasts are great. perhaps try downloading a book or language lessons! I download my pastors sermons because I am always distracted that I miss half of what he says!

Good luck!!
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Definately agree with above posting. I was never a runner and it took some time to get to like it. I found that the begining of my runs are the hardest and if i can just resist the urge to rest, I'll be coasting once I get to about half a mile. Now when I run I pretty much turn on auto-pilot and just go. I think about everything, anything, or nothing at all (I'm in college, sometimes no thoughts at all are the best way to go). I do my best running when I'm having a problem though.

But first you have to get to a good running distance. Start by running for a set amount of time, 15 minutes is good at a steady pace. Then each time you run, add a minute. Set goals, like if you start at 15 make your goal 30. Once you get to 30 run that for a couple weeks then start moving up again. Eventually, you'll enjoy it more and get that runner's high feeling
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    My Y has TVs or I would hate it :laugh:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    As a Mom of two chatters...Imagine that??? This is the only time where nobody is poking me, talking to me, touching me, asking me questions, or breathing on me. I actually love running now, and I have ALWAYS hated it!

The other day, I was running, and actually had a thought...from start to finish. Nobody even...

...hang on...kid talking to me...

Hokay...where was I??? No seriously, a kid HAD a need! Oh ya...Anyway, it's the only time I can actually think about my week or what I want to accomplish for the next few days. It's my only think without interruption time. I LOVE IT! When my hubby and I run together, it's great to not talk, just go!

So maybe use it as your think alone time. :wink:

I'm right there with you. I love to run without music for the same reason. Peace and quiet. Just me, the birds and the occasional car going by. Life is good!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • PrincessLaundry

Plus, number one for me is to have a good mix of music going. My gym likes to hit the easy-listening station every now and then, which is a drag. :yawn:

Best of luck!

Oh gosh!!! Music! That's right! A fellow MFP'er was talking to me about iPods and stuff...I will turn to that when I finish with that thought I had. LOL:tongue:
  • kaiyacali
    kaiyacali Posts: 175
    I get a running high when I hit my max, and need to slow down but don't. Then I get a sudden burst of energy! It rocks!
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    I remember when my husband always used to go running and I just didn't get it. I used to think he was crazy. The main reason I started, I have to admit, was that it earned me more calories to eat than any other kind of exercise I had been doing. I just tried to push past the boring feeling and get it done. I also started with a small amount of running and gradually built up more each time I'd go. I never thought it was hard to do a small amount more than the last time.

Then the weirdest thing happened. I guess you could say I became a runner. Maybe it was partly because of the support of the MFP Runner's Club (they really are a fun and supportive bunch), but for some strange reason I actually started to like it and forgot about it being boring. Now here I am ready to run a half-marathon in a couple of weeks and training for a marathon. I would've never believed it if you'd told me I'd be doing that. I honestly feel that if I could learn to love it, anybody could.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member

Then the weirdest thing happened. I guess you could say I became a runner. Maybe it was partly because of the support of the MFP Runner's Club (they really are a fun and supportive bunch),

YEA!!! - Shameless promotion of our Club! Nice plug Terry!!! :drinker:
  • PrincessLaundry
    The main reason I started, I have to admit, was that it earned me more calories to eat than any other kind of exercise I had been doing.

ME too!!! :tongue:

Now that I'm eating...I wanted something *naughty* to eat too! So I'm running for the food, seriously, if I had a munchie on a pole in front of me at this point, I'd run. LOL How funny!