Eat for energy

Options
If you're feeling sluggish, tired, out of sorts your diet could be to blame. You may not be eating enough whole grains, fruits veggies or low fat dairy products, all of these contain nutrients that yoru body needs to produce energy. changing what and when you eat is the best way to maximize your diet's energizing potential. Here's some ideas to help you today to have a more energized tomorrow. You should try to refuel your body every 3 hours, eating 6-7 250-350 calories mini meals instead of 3 larger ones will keep your metabolism going strong. Don't skip breakfast, more then half of your energy reserves are drained by the time you wake up in the morning. If you start your day on an empty stomach, you're gonna be sluggish by noon and avoid sugary snacks, sweets will do the opposite of energizing you, they aremore likely to make you tired, not alert. They don't provide enough energy to sustain the body. If you need that little boost, try whol grain crackers, high fibre fruits (like berries, apple and pears) and lean protein sources like low-fat cottage cheese, low fat yogurt, chicken breast, and tuna.

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    My cal goal is 1200 plus exercise cals (~150) so I eat three 300 cal meals and 2-3 snacks that end up comleting my cal goal for the day. Thanks for the advice!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I skipped breakfast for the majority of my adult life, until just last year actually . . . drank way too much coffee, had a huge lunch at work (cause I was starving by then) . . . and would ALWAYS hit a wall at about 3:30 in the afternoon . . . so back to the major amounts of coffee to get through the day.

I now eat breakfast, limit myself to 2 cups of coffee to have prior to 10am only, and eat extremely healthy and "clean" . . . and guess what (???) . . . I haven't "hit that wall" in the afternoon or felt tired and sluggish since!

Amazing what a healthy diet and exercise can do for your mood, energy, and general outlook on life!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice!
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! I'm always surprised when people I talk to are surprised that not eating breakfast can stall weight loss... I figured that was becoming common knowledge, but I guess it's not quite there yet. Good job for getting this info out there!
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    might get more energy by adding in more whole grains, but they are one of the most calorie dense foods out there....i'd stick with just adding the right types of veggies and fruits.
  • peanut1967
    peanut1967 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You are so right! I skipped breakfast for most of my adult life and I've seen so many overweight people who always skip breakfast... and it's the junk food and the candy that makes you hungry.
  • peanut1967
    peanut1967 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    @lutzsher: I used to eat the same way as you did and hit that "wall" every single day. And guess what - since I started MFP and eating breakfast it hasn't happened again :-)
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    might get more energy by adding in more whole grains, but they are one of the most calorie dense foods out there....i'd stick with just adding the right types of veggies and fruits.

You need the whole grains, I limit them myself, but they are necessary, my muscles depend on that energy, I couldn't get the same effect from a bowl of veggies as I could froma bowl of steel cut oats.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    i also realized that when i upped my protein , i stopped craving sugar.