banana and a bad stomach ache

Options
nom_less
nom_less Posts: 13 Member
I have noticed in the past 3-4 years, I have never been able to eat a banana( organic, non organic) and have a happy stomach.
I get real bad stomach ache. is this a normal thing to happen ..anything called banana allergy exists??
This doesnt happen with any other fruit/food. if anyone has insights , plz respond.

Replies

• Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    If something doesn't agree with you, don't eat it.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    happens to me when I eat too much tomato or tomato based products.

like queeky said, if something doesn't agree don't eat it.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. No idea why but I don't eat too many bananas. I also can't eat canteloupe. I can eat muskmelon which looks and tastes almost exactly like canteloupe but doesn't bother me. weird!
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the sugars in the banana. I could eat bananas and it's yummy variations anytime and then about 4 years ago out of the blue everytime I ate a banana or banana bread I would vomit. Sorry. And now I can eat them again. I don't know what caused it but is passed.
  • Sapphires4me
    Sapphires4me Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, started a few years back. I found they have to be completely ripe, no green on them at all and I can eat about 1/2 banana on bowl of cereal. But can't eat on their own anymore.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too. Can't eat raw bananas anymore....too bad I used to love them on cereal:frown:
  • Azure_Sunshine
    Azure_Sunshine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have the same thing happen.

I noticed the less ripe the banana is, the less pain I have. Just a suggestion.... Feel better!
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different reactive foods. Bananas must be yours...don't eat them.
  • aegarvey
    aegarvey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. It started when I was a teenager and got worse over several years. Stomach cramping and makes my mouth and throat itchy. Just bananas and sometimes cantaloupe, like the other contributor. Now I just avoid bananas, which is a bummer, but better safe than sorry.
  • wallaceansari
    wallaceansari Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There is a such thing as being allergic to bananas just like any other type of food. The reactions are different for everyone. Some break out in hives, some vomit, and other wind up getting rushed to the hospital for more severe reactions. Best thing to do is avoid them altogether and see an allergist just to confirm.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too with apples and bananas on an empty stomach so I do not eat them that way and I am fine or taking a probiotic chewable helps too.
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to bananas. I don't get a stomach ache, my throat closes up, but every one reacts differently.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    My husband is allergic to a lot of fruits (not banana, though), so I don't know why it wouldn't be possible to be allergic to bananas. You can get tested for allergies if you want to know for sure.
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I had to give up bananas too. It flares up my IBS and diverticulosis. I get severe abdominal pain. I just don't eat them anymore.
  • nom_less
    nom_less Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    looks like I was not alone....ll stop eating them n the next time m in for check up will test for allergy as well. thanks folks...
  • ess52
    ess52 Posts: 10
    Options
    Bananas can trigger the release of histamine in the body. The older (and riper) the banana; the more histamine is released.