A little help please

Options
Currently I am using the calorie settings that this website recommends. But I am no longer loosing. It has me set for 1200 calories a day. I walk 4 miles a day but my job is a desk job so I sit most of the day. Is this the right amout of calories for me to be eating? Any input would be helpful!

Thanks

Replies

• amammaa4
    amammaa4 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    When I first started I used the 1,200 MFP allowed me and I wasn't losing. I read in the forums about upping to 1,500 and I have done really well there. I know people find their TDDE or TDEE not sure which it is Ive heard that helps too. You can google sites to find yours. Hope it helps.
  • lorilincoln
    lorilincoln Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your ultimate goal weight is or why your caloric input is 1200 but when other MFP have issues losing, they up their calories slightly. When you don't eat enough, your body goes into starvation mode and tries to hold on to all the fat it can. When this happens, you don't have any leftover energy to build muscle. I know I didn't explain this very well but its a start.
  • brandilong180
    brandilong180 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If I do the TDEE minus 20 percent it says about 1700 calories. Maybe I will try 1500 and see what happens. Not sure I can eat that much food. But I will give it a try. Thanks for the information guys
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your exercise and eating back the calories burned? If not, that might be a good place to start.

Or you can find your TDEE and eat about 20% less than that: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If I do the TDEE minus 20 percent it says about 1700 calories. Maybe I will try 1500 and see what happens. Not sure I can eat that much food. But I will give it a try. Thanks for the information guys

TDEE - 20% is what you should be doing. MFP is not wrong by telling you 1200...its just you probably put a high weight loss goal per week...so it being a computer and irrational gave you the number it would take to lose that number.

Most people make the mistake of seeing an option of weight loss per week and going "well duh...I want to lose as much as possible" which isn't always the best option.

Unless you have a pressing deadline to lose weight...you should adopt the slow and steady route which is more consistent and maintains lean muscle. If you stuck to 1200...you would see huge chunks fall off every few weeks...but you will lose alot more muscle then you would like.
  • brandilong180
    brandilong180 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help!!