How did you form a support network?

Options
Kabuhtu
Kabuhtu Posts: 85 Member
Hello Everyone!
My name is Caitlin. I am 22 years young and I am from upstate New York. For all you wondering; Albany is not included in upstate. I live about 40 Miles from the Canadian border in a medium sized college town called Plattsburgh.

I don't really know how to optimize my MFP experience, so, Can you tell me how you did it? I know the first step is to log in everyday. But how do I connect with people? Do we just send messages back and forth? I wish the ease of use with MFP was better. I also wish there was a like button!

Replies

• AdamBrown1974
    Options
    I have the same question, but a bit differently.

I'd like my friends to see my progress, but I know they don't want to sign up on the web site. Is there some way to make my progress view-able to others? I know I could do it via my blog, but I was hoping for something more structured than that.
  • Kabuhtu
    Kabuhtu Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • Matt82007
    Matt82007 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For a support network here: Hey!! This girl needs friends. Add please.

For a support network at home, I can't help you. I have a 5'6" girlfriend who is at my goal weight and a best friend who's 5'8" and 20lbs more than me insisting it's stupid for me to be trying to lose weight. I'm 6' so they really should be working on it.

Also, I've sent you a friend request, though I probably don't provide the best motivation.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Some people use forums
    Some use their friends, friend list and poach,
    some just say kik me and trade junk pics,
    or post a "I am looking for friends" in the chat
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Read blogs, read forums, find people that interest you. That could mean you have common fitness goals, or you just find them funny or entertaining. Then you send a friend request. Be sure and add a message saying WHY you want to be friends.

Not me of course, b/c I'm a b!tch and generally dislike most people. But not everyone on here is as horrible as that.
  • sljenkins
    sljenkins Posts: 76
    Options

I'd like my friends to see my progress, but I know they don't want to sign up on the web site. Is there some way to make my progress view-able to others? I know I could do it via my blog, but I was hoping for something more structured than that.

Isn't there an option to set it to link to your Facebook page? Several friends' of mine shows up in my News Feed.
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i used my Challenge group on from BeachBody, ive never had such a solid reliable and active support group. also Facebook is a good way of showing off your progress.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

Isn't there an option to set it to link to your Facebook page? Several friends' of mine shows up in my News Feed.

Yes, here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/sharing
  • brianaboutin
    Options
    Hi :) I'm not too far from Plattsburgh. I live in Milton, VT... Plattsburgh is an under 3 hour drive... I can be online support! :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    first step for me was a little convo that went something like this....in the mirror...
    "dude"
    "yeah buddy"
    "we have GOT to do something about our current situation."
    "how do you mean?"
    "look at us man! we are fat, and lethargic, and grunt when we tie our shoe"
    "yeah good point"
    "you ready to hit this head-on?"
    "i guess"
    "no no dude, i need you 110% on-board with this, or it wont work....remember last time?"
    "ohhhhhhh yeah"
    "and the time before that?"
    "mhmmmmm ok i get it"
    "so you're in?"
    "110% bro"

that was the hardest step.
    finding awesome people on here has been instrumental as well.
    but at the end of the day, you have to be able to be your own support network first and foremost.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I would love to help you!!! Shoot me a friend request on here. I have a huge network of helpful people that I talk to daily.
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I added people who were asking for friends. Some are real supportive and others aren't. Mostly we just comment on other peoples exercises and diaries. We will sometimes post how we are feeling that day and what is going on in our lives. We become online friends so to speak. Some of us to message back and forth, but mostly little bits of encouragment and thanks on the main message thread. Add me if you would like.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i friended people who i admired in the beginning of my weight loss. those "20lbs lost before and after!" people, or people who made me laugh or we had common loves discovered during a food thread, or TV show thread.

then i discovered groups, the smaller forums on here. i'm a part of the gamer group, nerd group, political junkie group, strength training for women, and two groups based on the knowledge and experience of some people i admire.

then through me just being myself on these groups, having more confidence and lost a lot of weight, people starting adding ME as their inspiration. it still feels weird for people to tell me i'm at their GW, or they want to emulate my habits, but it does make me feel proud.

feel free to friend me! you get back what you give, imo. and cut out people who are dead weight on your friends list. if you need people to cheer you on, support you, cultivate friends who do that.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I always considered Albany to be Upstate... Then again I'm from the Buffalo area and I'm from Western New York, not Upstate- LOL! Just post, tell people they can add you. Check out the Groups section too, you can make new friends that way.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    As you accumulate friends, don't be afraid to delete people who aren't clicking with you, for whatever reason.

I regularly "clean out" my friend list and the question I ask is "Would I miss this person if they were gone?" If not, they're gone.

That's how I have one of the best friend lists here. Because it's only people I absolutely want.
  • MistynVT
    MistynVT Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    As with Brianaboutin, I am in MIlton, VT as well. You can add me as a friend, as well. :)
  • londonboyben
    londonboyben Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    hello and welcome to mfp,

i think just jumping in and get involved on the threads is the best way to build up a few friends on here if your worried or nervous about throwing out friend requests (like me),

personally not the friendliest person on here and have not sent too many requests out, but like to add my little snippets of support and encouragement on the forums for what the are worth, and without realizing it within a week or so i have built up a few "friends" and give and receive support from them on my wall,

the more visual you are on here the more you will get that support your looking for

good luck with all your goals :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I just acted like my true self, the real one in my mind all over the message boards. people who had similar senses of humor and mentality FR'd me. I added them. The one's who's posts on the newsfeed grab my attention i replied to the most and that turned into more rapport.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I read through the forums, look at my friends' friend lists. I've friend requested people because they're runners like me or because they're funny and I think a great sense of humor is a truly awesome thing. Or just because something about them peaked my interest.
  • Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Options
    Get yourself a whole load of friend requests out there.
    I guess this has started already!! LOL....

Open diaries are best as well and when completing diary make sure it posts to your feed for accountability.

Oh yeah, and make sure you have a laugh when doing this very serious lifestyle change.

That's all really, normal programming can resume....!