Calorie Counter Tool vs HRM

Options
I have seen so many posts on here that say how do I calculate my TDEE? Does carrying my school books count as ? I carry my toddler x amount of time... should I count my housekeeping chores? I can't answer what works for everyone or what they should do but I wanted to tell you what I have had success with. Bodymedia (for those in US/Canada/Aus) Ki Performance for those in the UK. Unlike the Polar it is not a heart rate monitor, but answers how many calories you burn per day.

It did not make me lose weight, it was not a magic device that made my waist drop inches, it is a tool that answered a question for me about how many calories that I used during the day. I could have calculated based on so many things online (fat2fit) and so on and had the success that others have had, but I don't do the same thing every day. Sometimes I am very active and others are a 'veg" day :)

I hope this clears up a bit... *hug* have a great day!

Replies

• Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, those tools have been proven to be more gimmicks then anything reliable.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/2013/06/12/how-accurate-are-fitness-monitors/

EDIT TO SAY: Heart Rate Monitors are still the way to go.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    The article says that they underestimate calories burned in certain situations. When I wore my BMF on my arm on the stationary bike, I'd register a 500 calorie burn for an hour because it looks at more than arm movement. And now the company suggests putting it on your calf while cycling to get a more accurate number.

It's eye-opening to see how many calories you burn while puttering around the house and how quickly it drops down to nothing when you sit. It's definitely a motivator to get up and get moving.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    The article says that they underestimate calories burned in certain situations. When I wore my BMF on my arm on the stationary bike, I'd register a 500 calorie burn for an hour because it looks at more than arm movement. And now the company suggests putting it on your calf while cycling to get a more accurate number.

It's eye-opening to see how many calories you burn while puttering around the house and how quickly it drops down to nothing when you sit. It's definitely a motivator to get up and get moving.

As a motivation tool, I agree....I also like the competitive nature of FitBit making you compete versus friends on steps.....anything that gets people moving is great....but I do not put any stock in the tool's accuracy.
  • evelynfarmer
    evelynfarmer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I love my HMR... I just feel it is more accurate since it is determining MY heart beat. I don't really like machines however they can be fairly accurate as well.
  • MrsAvent79
    MrsAvent79 Posts: 18
    Options
    Unfortunately, those tools have been proven to be more gimmicks then anything reliable.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/2013/06/12/how-accurate-are-fitness-monitors/

EDIT TO SAY: Heart Rate Monitors are still the way to go.

I am not trying to say that people should go one way or another. Some love a HRM, I love my bodymedia as a TOOL to lose weight. It doesn't make me exercise, it doesn't control what I eat, but for some it will work to give information.

I have lost over 70 since Jan 1 while using this "gimmick". Why not post something that's more useful to all about what you LOVE about your HRM rather than just putting others down?

As per YOUR link "“But for many people, they’re inspirational, and if using one gets someone to move more, then as far as I’m concerned, it’s serving a good purpose.”"