In search of work lunch recipes that reheat well

Options
Tambookie
Tambookie Posts: 20 Member
My goal is to make a big pan of something on Sunday nights and then divvy it up into 5 containers to take with me each day for lunch at work. I'm completely fine with eating the same thing every day; I just want something that's healthful and convenient (and delicious). I do really like chicken and rice with vegetables, but I can't seem to make it very well. My husband does a great job, but whenever I try it just tastes bland and bad. Since I don't want to rely on him to make my meals, I need to find a recipe to follow. Needs to be 400 calories or less for a good-sized serving and not produce foul odors as I will be eating this in my cubicle at work.

Any ideas?

Replies

• sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I always prep my meals on Sunday. For breakfast I make overnight oats for a week.. I will make a bunch of chicken, turkey burgers, meatloaf, or pork chops. Cook a bunch of brown rice or throw some sweet potatoes in the oven. I will steam, or roast a vegetable of choice as well. Basically you answered your own question. Practice makes perfect so get in there and cook. My chicken comes out perfectly every time when I cook it covered on 350 for 45 minutes. Experiment with different spices to see which ones you like. A lot of the time I will make chicken fried rice, or rice bowls out of my food just to jazz it up for something different.
  • Tambookie
    Tambookie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is what I'm looking for. So what is your recipe for chicken fried rice or rice bowls?
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Fried rice- pour a little olive oil to the pan and garlic and chopped onion. Saute until soft. I then add rice, frozen peas, egg whites, cut up chicken, reduced sodium soy sauce, & red pepper flakes or red chili sauce. I like it spicy. Depending on what veggie I cooked for the week I will throw that in there too.

For the rice bowls I just add chicken, zucchini, squash, broccoli, snow peas or whatever with some teryaki sauce mixed with red pepper flakes. Very easy things to do and it takes minutes.
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I buy a case of the Progresso Light soups from Sams and keep them on my office. Kinda high sodium, but I don't each much salt in the rest of my diet so it works for me. Today I have home made sushi rolls :)
  • noKTdidnt
    noKTdidnt Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This!! You can eat it by itself as a chili. You can eat it as a taco salad. Or over brown rice. Or if you're feeling naughty, as nachos. Super yummy. Super easy. Super flexible. :)http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/crock-pot-santa-fe-chicken-425-pts.html
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Soups! Not the canned stuff - but home made. You can easily make a big pot sunday - take it into work all week - and still have some left over to freeze.

Not a hot lunch but I did salads in a jar and that works awesomely for me! The prep on Sunday doesn't take very long and I like having salads pre-made for the rest of the week.

this meatloaf > http://feedingthefreaks.blogspot.com/2013/05/tomato-basil-turkey-meatloaf.html

LOTS OF STUFF
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Are you only looking for hot things? I eat hot things more in the cooler weather. In the summer I eat colder items. Thank goodness for multi-size gladware and large lunch bags.
  • torizia
    torizia Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've been making batches of couscous with chicken stock, sundried tomatoes and various vegetables in it - you can eat it hot or cold and it's really good!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I usually do leftovers from dinner the night before. I almost always make extra (at least extra protein, then can add a frozen veggie), then pack it up for lunch.

I've also cooked up an entire bag of frozen chicken breasts on Sunday, then used it all week: top salads, stir-fries, fajitas, etc. You could add to fried rice, if you want. I usually just add a veggie and I'm good.

Soups/stews/chili are a good idea, too.
  • JaneInKansas
    JaneInKansas Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe our family likes to eat either cold or hot.

CHICKEN CONTINENTAL

1 1/2 cups skinless boneless chicken breasts, cooked
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 tablespoon oil
    14 fluid ounces chicken broth
    14 1/2 ounces French cut green beans, frozen
    salt, to taste
    1/2 teaspoon basil leaves
    dash pepper
    1 cup Minute Rice

Saute chicken and garlic in oil 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except rice and bring to a full boil. Stir in rice, remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Makes 4 1-cup servings.

Per Serving: 280 Calories; 5g Fat; 26g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 51mg Cholesterol; 394mg Sodium.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I love bringing egg bakes to work. Lay a can of reduced fat crescent rolls on bottom of a baking dish, add a variety of veggies ( spinach, mushrroms, onions, tomatoes, zuchini, peppers, etc.), add some meat if you'd like (ham, turkey, sausage), cheese, add approx 10 eggs (whole or just whites) and back at 350 for about 35 minutes. Nice sized piece and low cal (depending on ingredient choices).

ETA- 1/8 pan of veggie bake with whole eggs and cheese runs me 295 calories.