Teaching elementary cooking need recipes (non-sweets)

Options
Mya_Tala
Mya_Tala Posts: 9
I work at I guess what you'd all an alternative school and we're doing a summer program. They have me teaching a cooking class (if someone didn't do it they wouldn't get one). The kids I have cannot, and I mean under no circumstances, use a knife sharper then a butter knife. I'm also trying to expose them to healthier foods and eating habits so I'm trying to stay away from the sweets and the baking (baking is very precise). So I got to thinking who do I know that might have some easy elementary level cooking recipes and it hit me the people on MFP might be able to help. So I'm looking for healthy to semi-healthy easy recipes that I might be able to use to get my kids interested in cooking and eating right. There parameters are that it cant have a lot of cutting because I have to do any and all of that and their really shouldn't be a sharp knife in the room, it should be healthy, I do have budget constraints I have 7 weeks and $500 to do 14 recipes, and lastly I have an hour and twenty minutes to fill. Also if anyone knows of any fun games to play with food or nutrition I'm open to suggestions. Today for instance I blindfolded them and we played guess what you're eating (which they loved). So please if anyone knows of any games or recipes either reply to this or send me a message to my account here. To anyone who helps thank you in advance! My kids will be grateful they are really loving the class and I want to keep it that way.

Replies

• Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Just off the cuff, what about a cheesy brown rice and hamburger dish? Steam the brown rice, cook the hamburger, then add shredded cheese (or velveeta), salt and pepper to taste? Just the first thing that popped into mind.
  • wheezeybouncer
    wheezeybouncer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Fruit Salad? My kids love helping me put one of them together. I'm a baker so no help from me LOL.

Geina x
  • cookykitty
    cookykitty Posts: 12
    Options
    A couple of simple ideas with minimal cutting but not sure how viable they might be for you:

Oatmeal and banana cookies (then give them the choice of raisins, a little chocolate, maybe brown sugar to add?) - I mean literally the ones where you mash bananas and porridge oats together with a fork.

Or if it's like a weekly thing, maybe make pizza dough bases (bread flour, yeast, water) one week, freeze them, take them out the morning of the next class to defrost and then top them with fresh ingredients before cooking? Depending on oven space I guess...

Stuffed peppers or mushrooms could be an interesting one, too - vegetables, maybe bacon, breadcrumbs...

Maybe omelets? Or stir-fried rice for ideas in a pan. Spaghetti carbonara...
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Maybe try updating/making healthier some of their favorite dishes. Mac and cheese (do with quinoa), lasagna (eggplant or zucchini as the "pasta"), tacos, chicken fingers, etc.

Spaghetti squash and meat sauce (from scratch - that'd take some time). Or do meatballs - kids love to get their hands dirty!

As a kid, I loved to make popcorn toppings (melted PB, garlic parmesan butter, etc). You could make popcorn and a couple of toppings.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/almond_crusted_chicken_fingers.html

Twice baked potatoes (you could do the first round of baking in the microwave to speed it up). Top with homemade salsa, shredded cheese, frozen (cooked) veggies, etc.

English muffin pizzas.

Veggie dips (ranch dip, french onion, honey mustard, etc).

Here's a website I found after a little googling! http://kidshealth.org/kid/recipes/

GOOD LUCK!
  • perfkdrug
    perfkdrug Posts: 24
    Options
    pinwheel scones (with their choice of filling)

variations on toasted sandwiches (healthier fillings than just a regular grilled cheese)

sweet corn fritters (or the easier variation of sweet corn cups where you line a muffin tin with a thin slice of bread and put your fillings in it)

they're not super epic healthy, but by giving the kids some ideas of fillings you can steer them towards slightly healthier options and they are easy enough to recreate at home with some help
  • tishtash77
    tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Pizza is good as it will teach them that pizza does not have to be greasy or a take out meal. You could start off with a pizza making game where they have cut out cardboard circles and they can draw or stick on possible toppings, but give them a goal or guideline of minimum of 2 veges, max of 2 or 3 meats. You could have 2 weeks for pizzas, as you could also have them plan out a sweet pizza, then make the bases in week1, week 2 make the pizzas. They would love the act of making their own dough and there was a nice recipe for homemade flat breads using greek yogurt on here recently that works well and is healthy. I would suggest asking for volunteer adult helpers if you do use recipes that involve weighing/measuring. Was a teacher in the UK and 30 7 to 9 year olds was tough when it came to cooking. Sandwiches is an easy and obvious one. Maybe you could organise the time so that they spend the last 20 minutes planning for next week's cooking - that way you know ahead what ingredients you need and you can tell them that truffle pizza is not going to happen on your budget!

The last week could be a picnic - they can prepare their own food and then you could eat out with them. Or your theme for the whole club could be a picnic and you could have them make foods and freeze them to be eaten at the picnic. Sausage rolls, meat and vegetable kebabs, rice salad, pasta salad, chicken fingers, pizza, muffins. Then on the day they could make quick and fresh things like fruit kebabs, rice crispie treats.

You could have games linked to foods - pin the pizza topping on the pizza, pictionary but the topic is foods, do some artwork/collage work of different food, play the bean game if you have room they run around and you call out a bean eg jumping and they jump, then go back to running, then another broad, they puff out their cheeks and arms, baked they go on the ground arms and legs spread as if on toast, coffee beans they cough, string beans up on their toes arms pointing up to the sky sucking in their cheeks to look skinny and so on. The ones not quick enough are out till you end up with a winner. Pass the parcel but the prizes are chef related like a proper chef hat, wooden spoon, apron, etc.

Good luck, it is surprisingly hard work, some kids have never even picked up a butter knife to make their own sandwich let alone done anything more advanced than that, I had some that couldn't even mix things together, but they will love it and it such a valuable thing for them to learn about healthy choices and enjoying the process and gaining some independence.
  • Mya_Tala
    Mya_Tala Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions and help everything you've all said so far has been really good ideas. Oh and one thing I forgot to mention is that I only have 4 kids (sometimes just 3) per class. It makes monitoring them a lot easier the your typical 20+ classroom.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I work at I guess what you'd all an alternative school and we're doing a summer program. They have me teaching a cooking class (if someone didn't do it they wouldn't get one). The kids I have cannot, and I mean under no circumstances, use a knife sharper then a butter knife. I'm also trying to expose them to healthier foods and eating habits so I'm trying to stay away from the sweets and the baking (baking is very precise). So I got to thinking who do I know that might have some easy elementary level cooking recipes and it hit me the people on MFP might be able to help. So I'm looking for healthy to semi-healthy easy recipes that I might be able to use to get my kids interested in cooking and eating right. There parameters are that it cant have a lot of cutting because I have to do any and all of that and their really shouldn't be a sharp knife in the room, it should be healthy, I do have budget constraints I have 7 weeks and $500 to do 14 recipes, and lastly I have an hour and twenty minutes to fill. Also if anyone knows of any fun games to play with food or nutrition I'm open to suggestions. Today for instance I blindfolded them and we played guess what you're eating (which they loved). So please if anyone knows of any games or recipes either reply to this or send me a message to my account here. To anyone who helps thank you in advance! My kids will be grateful they are really loving the class and I want to keep it that way.

2ujrtk9.jpg
    * Banana pancake (The children may choose to omit the PB if they're allergic):http://glutenfreefix.com/3-ingredient-banana-pancakes/2403/

2qmznsn.jpg
    * Cauliflower pizza (It's different to regular pizza many may have already made@home:[http://rubyreduction.com/2012/02/27/cauliflower-pizza-crust/

2u7o9bl.jpg
    * Ice cream made from frozen bananas (Froyo/blender/food processor):http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-w-93414

dnhydt.jpg
    * Fresh Pasta Dough for Ravioli (You could make this ahead of time along with a simple filling eg roasted squash):http://www.bhg.com/recipe/eggs/fresh-pasta-dough-for-ravioli/ The rolling + stuffing Ravioli (Active creative play) and the cooking part (intellectual play/active learning)

2qup4kg.jpg
    * German-Chocolate Fudge Brownie ~ No sugar ~No Butter ~ No Flour: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/02/08/german-chocolate-fudge-bites/

42mxh.jpg
    * Chicken Nuggets:http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/healthy-baked-chicken-nuggets.html

i5ooxj.jpg
    * Pigs in a blanket:http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/healthy-homemade-pigs-in-a-blanket

2sbmyv4.jpg
    * Pop Tarts:http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/homemade-healthy-poptarts

[Photo sources: Stated websites]
    ETA: Cooking is always fun for children, when they can enjoy the fruits of their toils of learning or at least take a sample home to share with their parents. :) Have fun!!
  • perfkdrug
    perfkdrug Posts: 24
    Options
    If you end up limited by finances, you could even do a lesson based around how to plan a meal and put together a shopping list. Obviously not hugely in detail as they're just kids, but I do think that knowing how to shop well is a skill that a lot of youngsters aren't getting taught at home these days but it's really useful to know.