Clothing Help

Options
Hello there. I have this problem with buying clothing. I know my measurements (34-27-34.5), but I always have to buy sizes that are smaller than I actually am. I end up buying a size 4 or 6 instead of an 8. Does anyone know why this is?

Replies

• Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Vanity sizing. Manufacturers and retailers do it so you will be like "Hey! I'm a size 2 in this brand.....I must have lost weight!" and then it's completely superficial but some women will buy certain brands because they can get a small instead of a medium or whatever. It's stupid.
  • Sectility
    Sectility Posts: 37
    Options
    In the measurements, they are true to their size. I usually buy vintage clothing, before all this sizing thing got out of hand.
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    If you look at vintage clothes from the 50's, 60's 70's and compare to present day, you'll see how our clothing sizes have expanded greatly. It's a bit of an eye opener and a let down b/c we're made to "think" that we're a smaller size than we truly are.

Also, different manufacturer's vary big time in clothing sizes. So, I wouldn't worry about that size number, just go with what fits well and feels good on you.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Women's sizes suck! Simply put. It is so inconsistent. I have size 4, 6, and 8 jeans. It varies from brand to brand. Even worse at H&M I have one pair in 4 and another in 8. They fit about the same. Overall 6 is usually good for me. 4 sometimes too, but my "biggest" issue is my butt! I don't have boobs :((( but my butt seems to stick around (I'm happy with it) but sizing becomes difficult.
  • badgergrrl
    badgergrrl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You should also know that clothing can vary from item to item, even in the same size, cut and color. Most clothing today is cut from very large stacks of fabric with a die, and there is some variation as the die goes through from top to bottom (think about cutting a large stack of paper with scissors - same principle). Couple that with usually very low-cost labor and little to no quality control, and you can go in to the Gap and hold up two pairs of size 6 jeans and one will be slightly larger than the other. Not inches, mind you, but noticeably enough that if I try on some clothes that are just a little bit too snug or too loose, I will go back out on the floor and hold up different ones and find one that works.
    It sucks.
  • Sectility
    Sectility Posts: 37
    Options
    My problem is that my butt is too small, lol.
  • sparkly86
    sparkly86 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. That is why i don't see a drastic change in sizing even though i lost 25 lbs...i refused to go higher than 11, so stayed in 9 very stretched out jeans.