Do you log if your at goal weight????

Options
I've been eating well for almost 7 months now and rarely cave. With the use of MFP and working out I am close to goal (Lost 20 lbs.) and thinking about giving up logging food and focusing strictly on my workout goals. Anyone get to a place that you quit logging food and maintained the weight loss? Just wondering.

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I lost the majority of my weight 2 years ago, once I decided to stop losing weight I logged at maintenance for a few weeks to make sure I had the hang of how much to eat. Then I stopped logging all the time, but kept an eye on the scale. If my weight went up by more than a few pounds, I'd go back to logging for a few weeks to bring it back down and reacquaint myself with proper portion size.

That worked to keep me within a few pounds for a year and a half, until I started logging again to lose some holiday/travel pounds in January and decided to keep going.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    ^^ ditto!
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I just spot check maybe once a week, to see where I'm at for calories and macros. I do 8:16IF so that keeps me on track as well.
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    I reached my goal weight a couple months ago but still make a habit of logging in my calories. For me, it works out because I'm such a structured, OCD kind of personality, and it helps keep me within my caloric goals.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have been at maintenance for a few months and am still logging but not as strictly. Right now I'm mainly using the diary to check my protein and iron intake but am still experiencing some dips that I think mean I should up my calories a little more. Once I am more comfortable with my diet I think I will stop logging food regularly and only use it if my weight creeps up too much or just check that I'm still eating properly.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight a couple months ago but still make a habit of logging in my calories. For me, it works out because I'm such a structured, OCD kind of personality, and it helps keep me within my caloric goals.

Me too, and I have been on maintenance for two years.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm not at goal, but every time I've taken a break from logging I've gained weight. It's not so much a matter of willpower as a matter of losing track of how much I've eaten and figuring I can have that snack.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm at my goal pounds wise. Look wise, no. I need to put on muscle.

I love it here though. I'm afraid I'll underestimate if I don't log.

I think the above ideas about checking in with weight/measurements and if over time you see an increase, jump right back in for a "tune up." :)
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm not at goal, but every time I've taken a break from logging I've gained weight. It's not so much a matter of willpower as a matter of losing track of how much I've eaten and figuring I can have that snack.

^^^and yes.

I take longer to log on Weekends. I keep track in my head and sometimes don't log until late. This Monday I remembered I had a Zico Coconut Water Saturday I hadn't logged, as well as some chocolate(not major but still). I was already over my calories (which I tend to do, but make up for later), but I realize I forget when I snack and then overestimate what I can still enjoy.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Wouldnt know. I can't seem to get there... :sad:
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I've always been in "maintenance' since signing up. I log because I know the hassle of logging my food and exercise isn't NEARLY as annoying as trying to lose weight all over again.

I don't stress out too much. I won't freak out if I miss a day or two, or if I forget to include an item because I know that, in the grand scheme, one un-logged or poorly logged day (or, when I take a cruise, an un-logged week) won't send me over the deep end. The daily log just helps keep me aware of what I'm doing so I don't get surprised the next time I step on the scale or take my fitness test.
  • sempertracy
    sempertracy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Wouldnt know. I can't seem to get there... :sad:

Me too!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I'm at my goal weight and I log. Also weigh every day. I like compiling the data.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Still logging on most days. I have begun to let up, skipping one or both days on the weekend, though. I plan to continue consistent logging, at least during the week, otherwise, I'm afraid I will start gaining weight back.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options

This is me too. I am also trying to work on eating within my macros, so the log is helpful tracking that. I'll probably stop logging eventually - once I am certain that I am good at estimating my daily intake.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I reached what I had as my goal weight and sort of celebrated by stopping logging for a couple of weeks. I felt better than I have probably in forever. I looked better than I have in forever.

Then I looked in the mirror and realized it wasn't as good as I could look. I still could do more, so I lowered the goal another 20 pounds and off we go again. This time is to shed body fat. And then when we get there we re-evaluate and assuming I've done what I want, we will turn around and ramp it back up and try to add muscle mass, which means more logging.

That, and I've found an incredible group of friends here and logging helps me stay in touch with them. They hold me accountable as I hold them accountable.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You need to keep logging only as long as you want to keep the weight off. The National Weight Loss Registery reports that of the thousands of people on the registery, 90% report they still log daily and exercise at least 45 minutes every day. Every time I don't log, the portions creep up and the junk creeps in and the scale goes up. The other thing you want to do it get rid of every article of clothing that is too bitg.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If I stop logging I'll gain all the weight back I lost.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am a long way from goal. But, I plan on logging after I reach goal for at least 3 months. I might do quick cals after that. I will always be checking on my weight to make sure I don't ever go 5 pounds beyond my goal weight and to make sure I don't continue to have my weight creeping downward which I believe can happen when you eat mostly vegan.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Yes. I do