Trying to Find a Realistic Weight for me

Options
Hi, I am trying to decide overall what weight I should be. I am about 5foot 7.5inches and currently I am 230 pounds. I had originally figured 160 would be a good weight for me considering I am of medium to large bone structure, but the more research I do, the more I am told that I should be about 140? That seems a little too thin for me. Does anyone have any articles they can link me or suggestions as to where I should set my goals at? I am tryuing to be realistic, and I feel like if I set my goal to 140, that I would never reach it considering my bone structure. And if I did reach it, it would like sickly.

Any input would be great! Thank you

Replies

• Bmjnash
    Bmjnash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If u think 140 would leave you to thin. Set it at 160 then when you make it re evaluate your goal. That's what I did. I started at 220. and set my goal for 160 once I reached it now it's I think 140 or 135. But mainly to when I feel comfortable with how I look
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Set your weight loss as a reasonable level, train hard, eat right and evaluate 4 months later.
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    All the wise guys always tell me to use the mirror as my guide and not my scale. Try it... it may work for you as it does for me.
  • daisymae850
    daisymae850 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Do you have a size in mind that you want to be? That would work to, that's what i'm doing actually. My goal is a jeans size not a number on the scale.
  • Tiffy_Pea
    Tiffy_Pea Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you, and I'm trying to hit 150. As I get closer to my goal I may reevaluate and set it higher, but I don't think I'll set my goal any lower.
  • Jalyst79
    Jalyst79 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Strength training and cardio! You will tone up, but your weight may be a bit higher than you want, but your clothes will fit better. Also, it is nice to have a size in mind, but also frustrating at the same time because not all companies sizes fit the same ( as I am sure you know this already).

Set small goals and aim for those and see how you feel. You could easily weigh 180 and look like you weigh a lot less. I strongly advise strength training. :) Good luck.
  • Ronda73
    Ronda73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a set number. I'm going to go with how I feel and look. Every body is different and what might be an ideal weight for one might not be for another.
    I'm 5'9" and always thought I wanted to get back down to 140. But I've had 2 kids since then and my body has completely changed. I'm going to keep eating right and working out and see what happens. Maybe 140 is doable again. Or maybe 160 will be my magic number. Only time will tell. But I do know I'm not going to let society or anyone but myself decide for me.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to not focus on what goal you want until you get closer to 160. When you reach 160, reassess. Having a large amount of weight to lose can be overwhelming. Instead, focus on the small losses each week (0.5 to 2 lbs). Those will add up,, and give you the motivation to keep going.

At one time, I thought I too had a medium to large bone structure, and it wasn't until the weight came off that I discovered I was small boned! I am finding that this thinking is quite common in overweight people, so I wasn't the only one.

I'm 5'9" at 125, which puts my BMI in the 18's. However, I am perfectly happy here and don't think that I'm too thin.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and at 198 i was a jeans size 14 now at 174 I'm a size 9/10. my goal weight is also 160 and I think that will be perfect. The charts also tell me that I should be in the 140-150 range. then I would be too skinny. I guess I will know WHENEVER I reach 160.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to not focus on what goal you want until you get closer to 160. When you reach 160, reassess. Having a large amount of weight to lose can be overwhelming. Instead, focus on the small losses each week (0.5 to 2 lbs). Those will add up,, and give you the motivation to keep going.

At one time, I thought I too had a medium to large bone structure, and it wasn't until the weight came off that I discovered I was small boned! I am finding that this thinking is quite common in overweight people, so I wasn't the only one.

I'm 5'9" at 125, which puts my BMI in the 18's. However, I am perfectly happy here and don't think that I'm too thin.

Wow, your profile pic looks great. We are the same height. You dont look too skinny at all. You just changed the game!!!!!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    This also didn't just happen in the view of my own body, but my husband's as well.

What's interesting is he has lost over 30 lbs since January. He started out at 225. I've never seen him any thinner than that in the 12 years I've known him. I always thought he was large boned too, until he took to the same eating plan I'm on, and started losing the weight. His goal is 170, and now that I can see his frame, I think it will be a good weight for him.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Set your weight loss as a reasonable level, train hard, eat right and evaluate 4 months later.

This. Evaluate your body and desires relating to 140 if you get to 160.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options

Wow, your profile pic looks great. We are the same height. You dont look too skinny at all. You just changed the game!!!!!

Awh, thank you so much! I am definitely not starving, and eat plenty of good delicious food. My husband says the same thing - he enjoys his food so much more now since he's adopted a healthy lifestyle.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    @240lbs. Set your goal for 200lbs. When at 200lbs, set the goal at 180lbs. etc...

This way you won't be so tempted to eat a such a drastic calorie deficit trying to lose all the weight at once.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I might be in the minority, but if you're not sure just work out and eat sensibly until that one special moment that you look in the mirror and say "aahh...that's what I like". Then from there, just try to maintain it.

If you've never been there, how do you know what number to pick to make you're self look and feel the way you'd like to look and feel?. How are you able to pick what the actual target should be in terms of numbers. Personally, I have a target weight in mind only because I used to be that number once before, so I know what it looks and feels on me.

Just my opinion...
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    @240lbs. Set your goal for 200lbs. When at 200lbs, set the goal at 180lbs. etc...

This way you won't be so tempted to eat a such a drastic calorie deficit trying to lose all the weight at once.

This!

I am so grateful I did it the right way, eating an amount that was smack dab in the middle between my TDEE and BMR. I did it with Weight Watchers, following their Points Plus program. At the tie, I didn't know what TDEE and BMR were, but that is essentially how the program has you eat - very similar to what is recommended with MFP.

I honestly didn't care about my goal weight - I just picked it because that was what I weighed in my early 20s, and figured there was no reason why I couldn't get back to it. Instead I focused on the small loses week to week.

There was a girl in my office who was losing weight at the same time I was with that crazy HCG crap (500 calories a day). She did lose faster than I did initially, but she gained it all back when she went off the program.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    I might be in the minority, but if you're not sure just work out and eat sensibly until that one special moment that you look in the mirror and say "aahh...that's what I like". Then from there, just try to maintain it.

If you've never been there, how do you know what number to pick to make you're self look and feel the way you'd like to look and feel?. How are you able to pick what the actual target should be in terms of numbers. Personally, I have a target weight in mind only because I used to be that number once before, so I know what it looks and feels on me.

Just my opinion...

I agree 100% with this. I think some people pick too high goal weights and end up selling themselves short, while others pick ones that are too low and can't sustain them. Most people won't know what one is right until they actually get there.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options

Just my opinion...

This is about what I am doing. I keep moving my target down because I'm not happy. I have moved it 3 times now. Besides, if the target is too far away, I am more likely to get disheartened - it's just the way I am!
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    There's an awesome website for this! Its http://www.mybodygallery.com/

People of all heights and weights have uploaded photos of themselves, so all you do is input your height and the weight you think you are going for and then take a look at the photos. It gives you an idea of how you'd look at different weights, I usually find three or four people at each weight range with my body type
  • Ronda73
    Ronda73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

This is what I've been doing. I've been setting short term attainable goals. When I first started I thought I would never get anywhere. I've lost almost 30 pounds in 15 weeks.
    My first goal was 10 pounds, then 25, I move in less than a week and I set my goal at down 30 before the move. Seeing the big number seemed so scary.