Lactose Intolerant

Options
I've recently been diagnosed as being lactose intolerant. Even the smallest amount of dairy now makes me sick. Does anyone have ideas what I can do to make sure I get enough calcium beyond taking a calcium supplement. I've never been a great pill taker!

Replies

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Soy Milk enriched with the Omega's works for me---i am lactose intolerant and also allergic to coconut as well as allergic to almonds.

The Hemp Milk is also ok---most are enriched with calcium and D3.

Spinach, Kale, Collards contain calcium --although I have read that our bodies can't access the calcium from Spinach.

The easiest thing to do so that you can occasionally enjoy ice cream is to always have lactaid pills or some brand of lactose enzyme pills with you.
  • lizbeth926
    lizbeth926 Posts: 43
    Options
    Thanks that's a great help!!
  • NoraMich84
    NoraMich84 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I suppliment calcium and vitamin d vitamin to make sure I get the recommended amount. Also a lot of orange juice and oatmeal brands fortify their products with calcium and vitamin d.
  • lizbeth926
    Options
    That's good to know! I'm an oatmeal girl! I'm already taking 1000 U of Vit D. Guess I need to add the calcium too so I don't become that stooped over grandma!! lol ; )
  • rgrin
    rgrin Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I drink Almond Breeze almond milk (unsweetened vanilla - yum!). It's calcium enriched with 45% of your calcium in one cup. I they realized calcium is an issue for those of us who are lactose intolerant and looking for alternatives.
  • dancerbyday
    Options
    Lots of leafy green vegetables! I am a vegetarian, so I eat a lot of these! Also...good (and interesting) news for you: milk is actually acidifying in our bodies, so it does NOT give us calcium, it takes away calcium. You will now be getting more calcium even than you were before. So don't stress it, and just make sure to get your greens! Raw is best since you can absorb the nutrients better that way, but I know they taste so much better cooked. ;) And they are good for you either way, really.
  • janimei
    janimei Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Cheese, yogurt, and ice cream don't bother me, but milk, cream, sour cream, and half and half do. My sister uses Lactaid milk and has no intestinal problems from that (Trader Joe's has its own version--cheaper).
  • Maija1985
    Maija1985 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lactose free milk, cheese, cream, yoghurts, even ice cream in some shops- once u get used to it- it easy enough :wink:
  • farfigirl
    farfigirl Posts: 1
    Options
    Also lactose intolerant. My go-to for calcium is yogurt. The good bacteria in it helps digest the milk protein.

If you're main concern is calcium, I'd stick with regular yogurt. Greek yogurt has more protein, but less calcium.

Btw, it's really tricky to find out what has lactose and what doesn't. A lot of medicine/pills are coated with it, as are some cereals, and things like ice cream actually have lactose added to it for flavor or texture. Crazy-making when you're try to avoid the stuff!
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Broccoli is high in calcium! I use Good Karma Unsweetened Flax Milk in my smoothies and that is high in calcium too. Eat a lot of leafy greens too. Kale is great. I always a cup chopped into my smoothies.
  • lizbeth926
    Options
    Thanks everyone. All the info is very helpful! :smile: