Non- coffee mid-afternoon drink/snack to stay awake?

Options
Well, I guess the topic says it all. It's 2 p.m., and I am at my desk trying to stay awake. I try to have coffee only first thing in the morning (2 cups), so I would rather not start having it in the afternoon as well. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess the topic says it all. It's 2 p.m., and I am at my desk trying to stay awake. I try to have coffee only first thing in the morning (2 cups), so I would rather not start having it in the afternoon as well. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Tea.

Occasionally after some meetings, bourbon.
  • daisymae850
    daisymae850 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Try fruit, like an apple or an orange, the natural sugar should help and also a big glass of ice water, its refreshing and should help revive you
  • LunaMischief
    LunaMischief Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    red bull sugar free, 10 cals. It's my go to when i need a boost
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Green or black tea should do it, unless you're trying to stay away from caffeine altogether, in which case I'd say a short walk rather than food or drink.
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have a nut mix (by planters I think?) and it has nuts, soy, a little bit of chocolate and it seems to wake me right up and give me just the right amount of energy to get through that hump! I think it's called the energy pack or something... I'm sorry I'm not more specific lol
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    My answer isn't going to help you today but next time try not having any or drastically lowering the carbs you have for lunch... That makes a really big difference for me. I usually only get the afternoon crash if I eat carb heavy.

OH and some possible help for today- drink orange juice! the real kind tho, not orange "drink".

ETA: Just remembered this article as well:
    http://www.inc.com/kevin-daum/12-non-caffeinated-ways-to-wake-up-at-work.html
  • HS2305
    HS2305 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Ice cold glass of water always does the trick for me :)
  • Dacia327
    Dacia327 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When I was working come 3 o'clock I needed a nap! I read that an apple works better then coffee to wake you up, so I started having an apple and some peanut butter at 3 and then I would take a quick 10 minute walk.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    almonds/nuts
    protein bar
  • PhiloPray
    PhiloPray Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i drink japanese sencha shots. which are green tea drinks. no sugar or anything manmade added to them either.

GREEN TEA REALLY HELPS.
  • jakeabhau
    jakeabhau Posts: 30
    Options
    i try to split my lunch into sections. I'll eat half at lunch and the other half around 2-3 in the afternoon. This helps me stay awake. And, it keeps me from snacking because I know I'm about to eat again soon.

Then, at dinner, my appetite isn't too big and I tend to eat a smaller dinner.

Which means there's room in my daily calorie intake for Ice cream!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    An orange (or a couple of clementine mandarins) usually pick me up pretty quickly, and I don't get the caffeine crash later!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    An apple with a handful of nuts, or carrots and hummus :-) Both are great for keeping you with it until home-o'clock rolls around!
  • LydsVille77
    LydsVille77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes!!!
  • ChrisRiches
    ChrisRiches Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks! These all seem like great ideas....now my problem is which one to try first? Seriously, appreciate all the suggestions. :)
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Get off your butt and take a stroll outside! That usually does it for me and it burns a few calories in the process - win win.

Cheers
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    red bull sugar free, 10 cals. It's my go to when i need a boost

This...thank god for red bull
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Get off your butt and take a stroll outside! That usually does it for me and it burns a few calories in the process - win win.

Cheers

unless you're in charge of the phones, and you aren't allowed to just up and leave when ever you feel sleepy. I love the fact that I have to take the mail to the corner mailbox, but we don't have outgoing mail every day...other then that my boss says suck it up.
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    Some pico de guyo with a handful of tortilla chips always worked for me. If you make your own, you can control the the sodium and heat factor @ the same time.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Every day around 3PM or 4PM I have a Green Granny Smith apple (88 cal, 170mg potassium, 22 carbs, 17g sugar, 5g fiber) and already will have had 2.5 litres of water. Generally I then have water with a squirt or two of Mio Sport (with Electrolytes - 80mg sodium 40mg potassium) I find the potassium/sugar/fiber blend gives me a boost.