can't even reach 1000 calories

Options
Hi everyone! So I downoaded the MFP app one month ago and I've been checking in my progress since then, but just today I joined the online community. I set 1200cal/day as my goal and I've been doing quite a good job so far. But today I read many topics about how eating less can be harmful or have the opposite results to the ones you want. Thing is I might be getting too few calories, because usually I can't even reach 1200, but I don't feel hungry! I was thinking that these days, apart from going to the gym 1h/day for 4 or 5 days per week I spend the rest of the day sitting because I study for my exams, so I don't burn that many calories overall... My diet diary is open for anyone who can give some advice! :)

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yes, you probably need to eat more. Especially if you're working out. Add in peanut butter, nuts, Greek yogurt, granola, cheese, full fat dairy, dark chocolate, eggs, roast veggies in olive oil, protein shakes and smoothies, fruit juice, etc. It's really pretty easy to get to 1200 calories with healthy foods if you just plan a little better.
  • zumarouli
    zumarouli Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am already into fruits and greek yogurt and cheese and healthy foods and everything, as for peanut butter, chocolate and nuts, I don't want to bring any of these at home because the time i did they didn't last longer than a day! :/
  • Cobwellac
    Cobwellac Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    From your picture, you don't look like you need to lose a lot of weight. Depending on your height/age, you may do fine at 1000 calories.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I wish I had this problem sometimes...

Any time butter or olive oil comes out though, you're upping that caloric density.

I aim for about 1k calories... for dinner.

Eat some meat, eat some nuts, some cheese and some good veg. Throw in some potato or rice and you'll easily be to 1k if not much more.
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    2 servings of your favorite cereal and 8 oz of 1% fat milk. Do that every morning and you should be good!

That's a convenient problem to have... to be honest.
  • zumarouli
    zumarouli Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yes I was actually aiming for just 3-4 kilos down. What I really need is to get in shape because nothing stays in its place when I move, if you poke me on my belly the wave will reach my thighs! :grumble:
    @Cobwellac
  • wafflemeister14
    wafflemeister14 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Looking at your food diary, just eat 2 slice of bread at dinner to make it a sandwich (instead of 0.4, don't know why you would only eat that much?) and 4 or 5 slices of turkey instead of 1.5. And melt some cheese on it!
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Dafuq? GO EAT ICE CREAM DUHEURUHREHURH
  • Cobwellac
    Cobwellac Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Weights, girl, that'll put everything in its place and make it stay there!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Agree with this. I don't know why so many think losing weight will alter the wobbly bits, it is exercise, specifically weights and strength training, that do that. You can have two females the same height, with one weighing 120 and the other, 130, and the 130Ib female can be far firmer than the 120Ib female, because she has more muscle.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Agree with this. I don't know why so many think losing weight will alter the wobbly bits, it is exercise, specifically weights and strength training, that do that. You can have two females the same height, with one weighing 120 and the other, 130, and the 130Ib female can be far firmer than the 120Ib female, because she has more muscle.

QFT
  • grandevampire
    Options
    yes I was actually aiming for just 3-4 kilos down. What I really need is to get in shape because nothing stays in its place when I move, if you poke me on my belly the wave will reach my thighs! :grumble:
    @Cobwellac

Yep, the solution to your goal to be less wobbly (which was my goal to) is not to eat less and weigh less on the scale (which may or may not even occur when you are already fairly low BMI). I ate less and stayed the same weight and stayed wobbly.

I started seriously working on building muscle using resistance, and as a result:
    -> started feeling much hungrier -> eating more -> more energy -> training harder -> more muscle (beginner gains) and less fat -> no more wobbles! -> oh, and finally, as if I still cared, I finally lost 1 kg on the scale after 8 weeks (mostly fat, as my BF% is noticeably down).

Like magic (minus all the sweat and hard work, of course).
  • Labouffecestbon
    Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    @Cobwellac
    Lift, lift, lift some more!
    And eat. If you eat too little, your performance will take a hit, thus your results.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

And the 130 pound girl will be smaller than the 120 pound girl because of her increased muscle.