Snacking at night!

Options
How do I stop myself from snacking at night? I do know the cause,tiredness and kids ( stress ). I am allways hungry even after a big dinner. Need help please!

Replies

• Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Is going to bed early not an option? :flowerforyou:
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Snack on healthy things - veggies, fruit...

Plain popcorn isn't too bad either. Also if you want dip for the veggies, try hummus instead of ranch - less calories! or no dip, that works too.

I don't have this issue, so maybe someone who knows where you are coming from can help in a better way.
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    XxYeaIrocxX Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I always get hungry around 10pm.

So I'd like to see what others say about it =)
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I always have a bedtime snack. Save a few of your calories to compensate instead of trying to do away with it. Plan for it. Know exactly what you're going to snack on. My bedtime snack is usually an apple and brie, but I'm out of brie so it'll just be an apple. I account for it when I plan out my day. There's nothing wrong with a snack at night if you've planned for it.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    One scoop of peanut butter general sends my hunger packing.
  • liddienicole
    liddienicole Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I always have a bedtime snack. Save a few of your calories to compensate instead of trying to do away with it. Plan for it. Know exactly what you're going to snack on. My bedtime snack is usually an apple and brie, but I'm out of brie so it'll just be an apple. I account for it when I plan out my day. There's nothing wrong with a snack at night if you've planned for it.

This! There's no reason you can't have a snack if you've planned for it! I always save calories for a snack at night - although I'm not healthy I'll have chocolate or something I've baked. I've got into having ice lollies recently, great as they last a while, satisfy your snacking needs and most are very few calories (40-50).
  • Cockney365
    Cockney365 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    1) Go to sleep!
    2) Have some water
    3) Brush your teeth - sometimes the taste of food makes me want to eat more food, rather than actually being hungry. When I have brushed my teeth and all I can taste is mint, like magic, I don't even think about wanting to eat.
    4) Plan it into your diary, maybe save yourself 150 calories just in case.
  • lagardner29
    Options
    I am the same way. Usually an hour or so after dinner I want to snack. And this is what I do (or at least try to):

I brush my teeth. You see if I brush my teeth I usually don't want to eat something and have to brush them again before bed. It's a small trick, but it works for me most nights.
  • manders376
    manders376 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I also get hungry at night so just plan on saving some calories and having a snack. I try to have something with protein so I feel satisfied :)
  • zoepashley
    Options
    Thank you for the many replies. I am going to 1) clean my teeth 2) drink water and 3) not eat after 8:30pm.Hope it works.
  • obiegirl
    obiegirl Posts: 28
    Options
    Hey there - I have the same issue. I am GREAT during the day, but after my two kids go to bed is my danger time. Here are some things that have worked for me, although I'll confess I definitely struggle with this:
    1. Have a cup of tea, decaf coffee, or sugar free cocoa
    2. Plan a small amount of calories (<200) for a small snack (e.g., small bit of cereal with milk)
    3. Brush my teeth (although fair warning that when the minty taste wears off, the temptation increases)
    4. "complete" my diary on MFP. When I do that, I'm actually less likely to eat more, because it's a signal that my day is done.
    5. Plan another "reward" that doesn't involve food (e.g., 30 minutes to myself to read a magazine, etc.).

Feel free to add me and we can give each other support!
  • shemyg06
    shemyg06 Posts: 84
    Options
    yeah, my issue is I get off at 12 and don't go to bed till about 3am so somewhere between there I get hungry and eat something, and I have nieces so I keep the house filled with junk for them, which during the day I don't touch, but I loose my self restraint at night apparently
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I generally have myself a yummy protein shake in the evening. I save calories for it. last night I had chocolate whey protein with milk half a banana and some peanut butter and a few ice cubes in the blender. (I was craving Ice Cream) I put it in a frosty mug from my freezer. It was delicious and the edges turned into ice cream from the cold cup!
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I get hungry two hours after dinner - so around 9ish. try the brushing teeth - but it doesn't always help... If I can't just go to bed then..

My options are as follows:
    If there is NO cals left on my diary...
    1) water
    2) tea (sleepytime)
    downside - these options make you pee lots in the middle of the night :)

if there are still cals on my allowance I have
    3) Pure Protein Chocolate bar - low cal, low sug and low carb!
    4) Quaker Chocolate Gluten Free Rice Cake
    5) a Chobani Greek Yogurt

I think the best thing is go with high protein and low sugar/carbs. Popcorn, Bananas or cereals have too many carbs and lots of salt/sugar.

Good luck!
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    drink water/tea/coffee

chew gum if u are awake etc..
  • Samantha_Kathleen
    Options
    You should drink a BIG glass of water before bed, water keeps you full or even right before you go to bed drink a V8 and it will help keep your metabloism running. I actually know someone who did it for a while before they went to be every night and lost weight. Hope this helps (:
  • katiepeg46
    katiepeg46 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Do you have enough protein at dinner? I was really a bad late night snacker. I would keep eating till it was gone.
    I am eating more protein at dinner and if I still get hungry I have apples or celery with peanut butter and that really helps!
    Kathy
  • oskybosky4
    oskybosky4 Posts: 62
    Options
    Same here, I do very well during the day but between 7 and 9pm I always feel I could have something to eat. I generally try to stick to a cup of tea and a chocolate covered rice cake or a weightwatchers cake bar both about 80 calories then a slice of Danish bread toasted and a very small cup of tea about 10. If I drink a lot on an evening I am always running to the toilet and have to get up in the night. Evening is the worst time for me - could be because I am watching tv and relaxing.