Female Lifters

Options
2»

Replies

• xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I started on the machines, and when I finally built up enough confidence to go to the free weights section, I used these resources the most:

bodybuilding.com
    YouTube.com

Honestly, bodybuilding.com has many many many workout plans that go through each step. They have videos for every move that they use in their plans with the technique on how to execute that move. I have watched hundreds of videos trying to get the moves right.

I read a LOT. Tons of blogs, articles, forums, etc. out there on weight lifting.

After paying for a gym membership I definitely didn't have money to pay for a trainer. I do, however, often ask my guy friends or random people in the gym who look like they know what they're doing if they can watch me and critique my form.
  • Bssh
    Bssh Posts: 123
    Options
    I started on machines, partly out of shyness as the weights section is full of people who know what they're doing (!) and partly to get a feel for my strength.

Meanwhile I researched loads of magazines, online lifting sites and You Tube for examples of free weights routines and good form. I found New Rules too complicated (at the time) so I devised my own plan.

Then I started my own dumbells routine with the objective of progressively lifting heavier at regular intervals.

I currently do 3 x full body free weights sessions a week and 2 x HIIT sessions (running/sprinting). I have the programme saved to my phone (an app).

The lifting is having a tremendous impact on how my body looks and feels.
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If anyone has any beginning weight lifting routines that worked for them, please share or add me. I'd love more help and advice.
  • phuquypham3
    Options
    omg
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I started getting organized after I read 'The New Rules of Lifting for Women.' It's a great read and has a program to get you started. Check it out!

:flowerforyou:

^ Me too! Got the book, read it, and am currently following their instructions on technique and doing the program offered. My fiance 'spots' me to make sure my form is correct. Built up my weights collection pretty fast lol. Definitely recommend checking out NROL: For Women. :-)
    NROL4W got me started too - then i started reading up on more lifting programs - still deciding on continuing with NROL or going to a different program / making up my own.
    i asked my husband to spot me and check my form - turns out he doesn't really know what i am talking about though he claims he used to lift :laugh:
    for technique videos, you can check out bodybuilding.com - they also have free training programs (with daily reminders) if you're interested.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If anyone has any beginning weight lifting routines that worked for them, please share or add me. I'd love more help and advice.

I actually started on machines and saw an "okay" amount of progress but then I started getting really bored. I'd been seeing more and more posts here about free weights so I bought the Nook version of New Rules of Lifting for Women and read that. It was a GREAT and informative read; really explained the big picture, eating, resting, and lifting, and made the whole idea seem a lot more attainable.

However, those workout plans seemed too involved for me. I heard great reviews about Stronglifts 5x5 and I started that April 24th.

I'VE HAD GREAT RESULTS.. Seriously I cannot say enough about that program. It's so simple: just 5 compound lifts: squat, bench press, barbell (pendlay) row, overhead press and deadlift. They are split over 2 different workouts and you lift 3 times a week.

I'm a bit long winded but if I were you I'd start with Stronglifts, NROLFW, or Starting Strength. Great beginners programs!
  • RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I went to bodybuilding.com and researched, researched and then researched some more.

I started off with a three day split (lifting three days a week) that someone on here posted they used and had fantastic success with before making the leap to lifting to 5-6 days a week (5/6 day split).

I learned how to do the lifts by watching the video clips on bodybuilding.com. I know I'm dropping that website a lot but it really is a wealth of information.

I'm currently doing Jamie Eason's Livefit (on week 7 YAY) and without the 4 months of lifting prior to this, I would've been in way over my head.

If you'd like to know more (like the exercises I did for my 3 day split) just send me a message!

In summation....research your buns off and know that form is important! :) Hope this helps!
  • aladams83
    aladams83 Posts: 47
    Options
    My love for lifting started with ChaLEAN Extreme. Great program and highly recommended if you are just starting out.
    Agreed! I'm in week 2 of ChaLEAN Extreme and have never done any lifting before. LOVE IT!
  • createrfuture
    Options
    Wow! There is so much love and support here. I'll be checking back often. Thanks everyone!
  • ferocityturbine
    ferocityturbine Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I started with machines, but recently wanted to branch out to using free-weights. Thanks to one of my awesome MFP friends, I started a new dumbbell routine this week and I love it! I was nervous to get started because I am inexperienced, but a bit of research and the help of YouTube helped me gain the confidence to give it a shot.

Here's the link to the plan:
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/heavylight-workout/

I have tutorial videos saved on my phone. I set up with my dumbbells and a bench and I follow the routine while referring to the videos if I'm unsure. I still use a few machines and I do 30 minutes of cardio daily as well.

Thanks for sharing! This is exactly what Ive been looking for. The barbells intimidate me, especially since I go to the gym by myself so a dumbell routine is right up my alley, at least for a beginner like me. :)